• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"Islamic terrorism" a misleading term

The use of "Islamic terrorism" in the media is a very inaccurate and misleading term. It implies that whatever 'terrorism' they are speaking of is directly related to the religion of Islam. Now, maybe that is why they use the term, or maybe they are just ignorant of the words that they choose.

How is it that everything and anything a Muslim does is because they are Muslim? If I kill a spider it's because I'm muslim, if I dont flush the toilet it must be because I am muslim. How ignorant is that? For example, many are blaming for what happened in Russia the fault of "Islamic terrorists." Um, first of all it is too early to claim anything as no group has claimed responsibility for this yet. Secondly, if you want to blame it on the Chechens, who said all Chechens are Muslims? I mean you dont have to follow any religion at all to do these kinds of things, they can be entirely politically motivated and that is a fact.

People with an agenda against Muslims propagate this lie of, "Its because of religion," to further incite hate against Muslims and their religion. Ok, was WW2 because of religion, or WW1? I mean it is very ridiculous.

To reiterate, using the phrase "Islamic terrorists" is to try to relate terrorism to Islam, which is very ignorant. And by the way what happened in Russia was horrible whoever did it, if they were christian, buddhist, muslim, whatever it doesnt matter one bit. And before you get all hateful and black towards the Chechens, let me remind you that when the world turned their back when Russia killed approx 180,000 Chechens in the early 90s. And many more thousands until today. Funny how that goes unreported in the corporate media. Sickening.

Good point DontFearMe, you're right. What is commonly referred to as "Islamic terrorism" may well be perpetrated by Muslims, but that doesn't mean they are doing it for religious reasons. In fact, most international terrorism is not for religious reasons at all, I would say it's mainly political and many people don't realize that international terrorism is also a lucrative business, like organized crime.

Green Gaia

Veteran Member
I agree with you DontFearMe, I cringe everytime I hear that phrase spoken. It is very misleading and incorrect and only breeds more contempt against Muslims, which I believe is the intention of those who use they phrase. Shame on them.

Yerda

Veteran Member
Fair point. I'd wager that most terrorist acts by muslims are socially or politically motivated, rather than religious. God makes a nice screen but the roots are possibly things like poverty, inequality etc.

The question I'd like to know is this: do we not see many Muslim groups condemning terrorism because the media refuses to cover it, or because many Muslim groups do not make an effort to publicly condemn it? I know that if I were the head of some kind of atheist organization and "atheist terrorists" blew a bunch of people up, the first thing I would do is call local and national papers and issue a statement formally denouncing the terrorists.

painted wolf

Grey Muzzle
On this I definatly have to agree, the terroists are the true threat to Islam and any Jihad would be rightly called against them in my eyes.

wa:do

Lady Marva

They can't. So won't. Because they can't renownce their religion, which in fact does call for jihad, martydom and killing of all non-muslims. No matter how much they try to hide it, it iS there, and it IS written in the quoran.

They ARE being good devote (albeit brainwashed) muslims when they go out and blow up people, obeying what their holy book tells them to do, and following the example set by their first prophet.

Lightkeeper

Lady Marva said:
They can't. So won't. Because they can't renownce their religion, which in fact does call for jihad, martydom and killing of all non-muslims. No matter how much they try to hide it, it iS there, and it IS written in the quoran.

They ARE being good devote (albeit brainwashed) muslims when they go out and blow up people, obeying what their holy book tells them to do, and following the example set by their first prophet.
You are misinterpreting the meaning of Jihad. Please see the following website.

http://www.isna.net/Library/khutbahs/Jihad.asp

The word Jihad does not mean “Holy War”. It means “struggle” or “striving”. The word for war in the Qur’an is “Harb” or “Qital”. Jihad means serious and sincere struggle on the personal as well as on the social level. It is a struggle to do good and to remove injustice, oppression and evil from the society. This struggle should be spiritual as well as social, economic and political.

Jihad is to work hard to do right things. In the Qur’an this word is used in its different forms 33 times. It often comes with other Qur’anic concepts such as faith, repentance, righteous deeds and migration
If you are going to make accusations, please get your facts straight. If you do make false accusations you are part of the terrorism.

Lady Marva

Jihad has double meanings. Yours...and the other one muslims prefer to hide. Talking heads on TV like to pass on your politcally correct notion that jihad means "internal struggle for piety".
Doesn't require a rocket scientist to figure out that the quoran promises Paradise to those who die in battle for islam more certainly than it promises salvation to anyone else.

The prophet said," The person who paticipates in (holy battles) in allah's cause and nothing compels him to do so except belief in allah and his apostles, will be recompensed by allah either with a reward, or booty (if he survives) or will be admitted to Paradise (if killed in battle as a martyr).
hadith 1:35.

O you who believe! Take not my enemies and yours as friends (or protectors),....... surah 60:1.

mohammad gave that command and it still applies. muslims must not trust others who seek to harm the cause of allah, both internally and externally they must passionately hate and seek to overthrown all who stand against expansion of allah's cause.

Which, as the world knows, is by force of murder.

Ardhanariswar

I'm back!
The prophet said," The person who paticipates in (holy battles) in allah's cause and nothing compels him to do so except belief in allah and his apostles, will be recompensed by allah either with a reward, or booty (if he survives) or will be admitted to Paradise (if killed in battle as a martyr).
what makes you think allah's cause is to kill innocent? clearly these muslim terrorists arent even muslim at all. you may say your violent act is in the name of allah, but in truth, it aint.

ya, get your facts straight.

Lightkeeper

Lady Marva said:
Jihad has double meanings. Yours...and the other one muslims prefer to hide. Talking heads on TV like to pass on your politcally correct notion that jihad means "internal struggle for piety".
Doesn't require a rocket scientist to figure out that the quoran promises Paradise to those who die in battle for islam more certainly than it promises salvation to anyone else.

O you who believe! Take not my enemies and yours as friends (or protectors),....... surah 60:1.

mohammad gave that command and it still applies. muslims must not trust others who seek to harm the cause of allah, both internally and externally they must passionately hate and seek to overthrown all who stand against expansion of allah's cause.

Which, as the world knows, is by force of murder.
I don't find the Hadith quote in the Quran. However, it's identical to the Christian principal that he who follows God will gain treasures in heaven. I am also reminded of how many times God commanded the Israelites to kill when returning to their homeland. Do you take that literally?

As for Surah 60:1 this chapter is called The Ranks. Your quote is out of context and you might want to read the rest of the chapter.This chapter is about examining fugitive women who came to the muslims from idolaters. The intent of this revelation was to find out if these fugitives were sincere converts to Islam.

Again, get your facts straight. Anyone can take excerpts from the Bible and build a case against Christianity.

Feathers in Hair

World's Tallest Hobbit
Lightkeeper said:
Again, get your facts straight. Anyone can take excerpts from the Bible and build a case against Christianity.

Well said, as usual, Lightkeeper!

The only people who would commit such acts on 'behalf' of their religion are rabid fundamentalists, and nothing could be said against Islamic fundamentalists that could not be said for almost any horror perpetuated in the supposed name of any other religion.

Quoth The Raven

Half Arsed Muse
Lady Marva said:

You know what...the Vikings believed that if they died in battle the Valkyries would come and carry them off to Valhalla, but it wasn't conditional that they strap explosives to themselves and blow up bus loads of kiddies. I don't believe there's anything in your quote that suggests the cause of Allah involves the death of innocents either; other than that is the way that your ignorance and hostility lead you to interpret it.
And there are more 'talking heads' on tv telling us how bad the Muslims are than there are pushing a politically correct notion of Jihad.