• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Islam: male superiority and wife beating?

Nehustan

Hi guys and gals, thought I'd pop into this thread. I read it last night and thought I would let you all discuss it without attempting to voice any opinion. However the starter of this thread was quoted in another thread as misrepresenting the Quran, which he did not, He as far as I can recall cited it correctly. Let me quote you from the other thread, as you will see that your conversations brought me and my wife closer together for a few moments....

Deut 13:1 said:
Do you know how retarded your appraoch is? I can do the same as this person and pull random quotatoins from the Qu'ran and insist that they are not being taken "out of context" or being "Misrepresentited".
Nehustan said:
Actually very interesting that you quote this thread, I read it last night, and my wife and I sat around discussing it as we had an argument at the weekend. I decided not to comment as that would make me an apologist, which I am not. However the thread and the posters points gave me and my wife something to mull over for about 10 minutes, then share a kiss and carry on with our lives. We both agreed that for a man to even consider using this ayat (verse) to justify violence he would have to be a seriously pious brother, with a seriously wayward wife....but we digress...this can be discussed by people in the other thread.
http://www.religiousforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=21063&page=1&pp=10

Peace

Quran & Sunnah
Allah says:" Men are the protectors and maintainers of women, because Allâh has made one of them to excel the other, and because they spend (to support them) from their means. Therefore the righteous women are devoutly obedient (to Allâh and to their husbands), and guard in the husband’s absence what Allâh orders them to guard (e.g. their chastity, their husband’s property). As to those women on whose part you see ill-conduct, admonish them (first), (next), refuse to share their beds, (and last) beat them (lightly, if it is useful); but if they return to obedience, seek not against them means (of annoyance). Surely, Allâh is Ever Most High, Most Great."

I would say Islam is the religion that gives the whole rights for woman. It is Islam who freed woman and gave her a privilege, and a high satus as a daughter, wife, mother...

Click on the following link to read about the rights that Islam gives to Women
http://www.islamfortoday.com/womensrightsbadawi.htm

Nehustan

Actually Peace as I am sure you know, where were the first coded (i.e. set down in written law) woman's rights (rhetorical question!!!)??? The first rights regarding written down concerning divorce, inheritance and thus personal control of money and property etc. appeared to in the Quran.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I view the subservient role of women in many Middle-Eastern societies as more a cultural feature than religious. Like most cultural practices, though, religion may be used to support it.