• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Islam, how much do you really know about it?

K.Venugopal

Immobile Wanderer
The important question is what is a good name in your view?
Dear A-ManESL, I think the important question is, what is a good name in the view of Quran? Obviously the answer is all the names that reflect the personality of Allah. Krishna represents a personality alien to the personality of Allah in the Quran and therefore it might not be one of those good names. To say that the Quran did not know Krishna or did not bother about Krishna because he was unknown to the Arabs proves that the Quran is a message for the Arabs. However, Muslims now say that Quran is for all mankind – a contradiction.

I appreciate your attempts to foster peace by stressing the commonality between Islam and Hinduism. That’s what I too should be doing but I am playing devil’s advocate in the hope of bringing out certain aspects of the situation.

nawab

just because the quran mentions about Jesus and Moses doesnt mean then its for Christians and jews also, it didnt mentions because it was not important to mention everyone. the truth is that minorities and low castes from India are converting to Christianity or islam due to intolerance and failed to create a equal society for even people of your own religion. Brahmins still dont eat with low castes. what is the higer undertstaning of this, maybe there is a higher level of understanding maybe i have to increase my meditation to understand it

K.Venugopal

Immobile Wanderer
just because the quran mentions about Jesus and Moses doesnt mean then its for Christians and jews also, it didnt mentions because it was not important to mention everyone. the truth is that minorities and low castes from India are converting to Christianity or islam due to intolerance and failed to create a equal society for even people of your own religion. Brahmins still dont eat with low castes. what is the higer undertstaning of this, maybe there is a higher level of understanding maybe i have to increase my meditation to understand it
It is Muslims who are coming forward and saying that Islam is the final and perfect religion for mankind and all other religions are obsolete. Therefore for Muslims to criticize Hinduism is inevitable because Allah Himself has decreed that it is obsolete. The question is, why, if Islam is the perfect religion from God as claimed to be, are there 73 sects in Islam? And a good many of these sects think nothing of bombing the others' mosques. If Allah is unable to boast of a heritage of social perfection when Islam has reached the 21st century, what is there to exaggerate about Hinduism, which has existed for thousands of years before Islam, having some social upheavals in its society?

A-ManESL

It is Muslims who are coming forward and saying that Islam is the final and perfect religion for mankind and all other religions are obsolete.

I am a Muslim and have never come forward to claim so because I dont believe that this is true. Whatever I have learnt the basis is not my own views but the Quran. KV I think the problem is that you are taking only a literal and superficial meaning of Quranic verses and not trying to understand the reality behind the verses. Believe me, it is not an easy thing to do, for me who have been born in a Muslim culture, it took many many years.

Regards

Erebus

i have posted this thread because i recon that many non muslims have no idea about islam and what sort of religion it is, well appart from the lies that are shown on tv, so i though i would give you a chance to make any questions that you want, and inshallah i will answer them , but i do not have limmitlesknowledge and so in some parts i may not be able to give good answers i hope no one would mind about that.
so who ever wishe to make a start please do so and i well get back to you as soon as possible.

all the best wishes

I'm glad this thread is still going strong, because truth be told I have very little knowledge of Islam save reading the odd bit of the Koran and a little that a friend of mine (a Muslim girl) told me.

I was told that in Islam Hell is not eternal, but rather people will go there for a time fitting with their sins and then be taken into heaven. I don't know whether this is a common belief or whether it was her own interpretation though.

I've also been told that the Koran doesn't require women to wear a veil and that this is instead a middle eastern custom. Again, I don't know whether this is true or not.

Apart from this, Islam seems rather similar to Christianity in many ways, with the obvious exception that Muslims don't believe Jesus is the son of God and thus the key to salvation, rather Jesus is a prophet in a similar way to Mohammed.

One point I will bring up is the fact that Mohammed is not allowed to be represented in art. I was told this was so that Mohammed would not be worshipped as Jesus was, is this true? If it is, does that mean that only Muslims are forbidden from depicting him? Also is taking a militant standpoint on not depicting Mohammed an act of worship in of itself? (I ask because I know that historically it was forbidden to say some of the names of god as this was considered blasphemous).

Sorry if these points have already been covered, it's a very long thread :)

Bismillah

Submit
I was told that in Islam Hell is not eternal, but rather people will go there for a time fitting with their sins and then be taken into heaven. I don't know whether this is a common belief or whether it was her own interpretation though.
That is concurrent with my beliefs as well

I've also been told that the Koran doesn't require women to wear a veil and that this is instead a middle eastern custom. Again, I don't know whether this is true or not.
The Qur'an that women should dress modestly and there is much contention as to define what "modest" really is. Though the Niqab is obviously a by product of the local environment of Saudi Arabia and predates Islam.

One point I will bring up is the fact that Mohammed is not allowed to be represented in art. I was told this was so that Mohammed would not be worshipped as Jesus was, is this true? If it is, does that mean that only Muslims are forbidden from depicting him? Also is taking a militant standpoint on not depicting Mohammed an act of worship in of itself? (I ask because I know that historically it was forbidden to say some of the names of god as this was considered blasphemous).

Correct Islam is strictly monotheistic and to prevent the worship of the Prophet as Christianity did to Prophet Isa (Jesus) we Muslims are forbidden to paint an image of the Prophet. This is a Muslim belief and logically is only binding to Muslims themselves, but many Muslims are angered with the depictions as well as provocative displays of the Prophet that some nonbelievers have run. To be angry is natural and I can understand it because I too am angered by such descriptions. It is the response to these depictions that I disagree with. Although this is something that is currently being discussed in another thread.

Meow Mix

Chatte Féministe

The Qur'an that women should dress modestly and there is much contention as to define what "modest" really is. Though the Niqab is obviously a by product of the local environment of Saudi Arabia and predates Islam.

Correct Islam is strictly monotheistic and to prevent the worship of the Prophet as Christianity did to Prophet Isa (Jesus) we Muslims are forbidden to paint an image of the Prophet. This is a Muslim belief and logically is only binding to Muslims themselves, but many Muslims are angered with the depictions as well as provocative displays of the Prophet that some nonbelievers have run. To be angry is natural and I can understand it because I too am angered by such descriptions. It is the response to these depictions that I disagree with. Although this is something that is currently being discussed in another thread.

I just noticed that you live in Arizona.

Is there a correlation between your rational views and not living in an oppressive state?

On some levels that seems rude of me to ask but I can't help but wonder.

Do other Muslims think you are too "Westernized?"

Madhuri

RF Goddess
Staff member
Premium Member

According to another Muslim member, hell according to Islam actually is eternal. He posted this today:

"“This, because you took the Revelations of Allaah (this Qur’aan) in mockery, and the life of the world deceived you. So this Day, they shall not be taken out from there (Hell), nor shall they be returned to the worldly life (so that they repent to Allaah, and beg His Pardon for their sins)”​
[al-Jaathiyah 45:35]

“Verily, the Mujrimoon (criminals, sinners, disbelievers) will be in the torment of Hell to abide therein forever.​
(The torment) will not be lightened for them, and they will be plunged into destruction with deep regrets, sorrows and in despair therein.​
We wronged them not, but they were the Zaalimoon (polytheists, wrongdoers).​
And they will cry: ‘O Malik (Keeper of Hell)! Let your Lord make an end of us.” He will say: “Verily, you shall abide forever.’​
Indeed We have brought the truth (Muhammad with the Qur’aan) to you, but most of you have a hatred for the truth”​
[al-Zukhruf 43:74]

Muslims who say that are simply going against the Quran to save face. sure it doesn't sound nice, but I'm in no position to question God's decree. I'm not simply expressing my own views here either".

Bismillah

Submit
Is there a correlation between your rational views and not living in an oppressive state?
I strongly believe that the type of Islam a person follows is a byproduct of their environment and socioeconomic background.

But I don't think living in Arizona has had much of an impact on my beliefs. If you scroll up you can see some of A-manESL's posts which can be called quite liberal. I personally think it depends on how you were brought up to think of Islam as well as your own personal interpretation of it. I always focused on the aspect of community and love in Islam rather than the punishment and differences between believers and non believers.

Do other Muslims think you are too "Westernized?"

I don't think so. Were I a father I wouldn't let my daughters wear miniskirts or sons go out to parties. I am not Western at all when it comes to politics, but not a fundamentalist either. I prefer to look at myself as a realist.

FaRa13

It is Muslims who are coming forward and saying that Islam is the final and perfect religion for mankind and all other religions are obsolete. Therefore for Muslims to criticize Hinduism is inevitable because Allah Himself has decreed that it is obsolete. The question is, why, if Islam is the perfect religion from God as claimed to be, are there 73 sects in Islam? And a good many of these sects think nothing of bombing the others' mosques. If Allah is unable to boast of a heritage of social perfection when Islam has reached the 21st century, what is there to exaggerate about Hinduism, which has existed for thousands of years before Islam, having some social upheavals in its society?

Islam is the submission to the will of Allah. Adam and Eve were the first humans created by Allah, making Islam the first and oldest religion. Islam is not the newest religion. People are under this false impression because Muhammad(PBUH) was the last prophet.

Breathe

Hostis humani generis
Islam is the submission to the will of Allah.
Prove Allah exists, and that Islam -is- the submission to his will, and not that of Muhammad or the sheikhs. Prove Allah even has a will.

Adam and Eve were the first humans created by Allah,
Prove they existed.

making Islam the first and oldest religion.
Prove it.

By the way, Quran does not constitute as proof. A religious book cannot prove its maker who cannot prove the prophethood of a person who can prove the book's authenticity.

K.Venugopal

Immobile Wanderer
Islam is the submission to the will of Allah. Adam and Eve were the first humans created by Allah, making Islam the first and oldest religion. Islam is not the newest religion. People are under this false impression because Muhammad(PBUH) was the last prophet.
Allah creates Adam and Eve and therefore, you say, Islam is the first religion! There have been religions all through and Islam, as insisted by the Quran, is the last religion. I think there is a mix-up by Muslims between the word religion as used generically and Islam. Does the Arabic word Din mean only Islam? Or what is the generic word for religion in Arabic? And when it is said the Islam is the last religion, I suspect it meant the latest (the last that has come forth) with reference to the times it was revealed during the period of Mohammad.

CyraEm

First, what does inshallah mean? I have an idea, but want to be sure.

Second, what are some Muslim holidays? What are they like? I know about Ramadan (apologies if that's misspelled), but I know literally nothing about any other ones. I don't necessarily need a whole religious backstory, I'm more interested in the celebration of it. Y'know, like traditional food, and prayers and decorations.

Third, how observed are the five pillars among American Muslims, in your experience? Is it a big deal, or is it more like the ten commandments for Christians, as in yeah, some are important, like not killing, but most are just sort of optional, like not taking the lord's name in vain?

A-ManESL

First, what does inshallah mean? I have an idea, but want to be sure.

Second, what are some Muslim holidays? What are they like? I know about Ramadan (apologies if that's misspelled), but I know literally nothing about any other ones. I don't necessarily need a whole religious backstory, I'm more interested in the celebration of it. Y'know, like traditional food, and prayers and decorations.

Third, how observed are the five pillars among American Muslims, in your experience? Is it a big deal, or is it more like the ten commandments for Christians, as in yeah, some are important, like not killing, but most are just sort of optional, like not taking the lord's name in vain?

1. Inshallah means "God willing".

2. The two major Muslim holidays are Eid ul-Fitr which is the first day after the month of Ramadan as a commemoration to it, and Eid al-Adha which is the commemoration of the attempted sacrifice done by Abraham(pbuh) when he tried to sacrifice his son, and God made him a sacrifice a ram instead. There are many other holidays some which sections of Muslims celebrate but these two are the main ones.

3. I cannot answer the third question fully, but I have heard that they are mostly practicing Muslims. Maybe some one from America can answer your question better.

Regards

Nazanin

@Breathe...
Hello dear.
I can understand your view about how a religious book can not be proof by itself. A religious book...how do you define that? A book all about rights and wrongs perhaps.a few stories mentioned for no reason?
Well thing is. Quran,by that definition is not only a "religious book".
Look at other prophets. You learn about the proof they offered,how?through history. You "hear" about how Jesus made the dead rise,how Moses made the sea part,and so on.
As time goes on the human community grow. Their capacity of learning grows.thus,Quran has offered proof that is carried through its words...proof that never dies and is always there to find;for people who seek it.you know how text has a way of remaining while stories that have been verbally passed on are well. Just stories.
What I mean is. In quran there is proof.a lot of it. And God has invited everyone to read with a clear mind and to think for themselves. It encourages thought and knowledge..
What are the numerous proofs,tho. That's a very very long list;one I am sure can make a whole new thread as it's being discussed internationally.
If you'd like to contact me here's my kik:roseee17