• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Isaiah 24:21 ???

james2ko

If you mean that the angel is an 'evil angel', i can't agree. Yes angels can bring evil upon Gods enemies, they are used in expressing divine anger and judgement. But it doesnt mean that they are inherently evil beings which is what im arguing against.

Notice what Paul has to say:

2Thess 2:9*But the lawless one’s presence is according to the operation of Satan with every powerful work and lying signs and portents 10*and with every unrighteous deception for those who are perishing, as a retribution because they did not accept the love of the truth that they might be saved. 11*So that is why God lets an operation of error go to them, that they may get to believing the lie, 12*in order that they all may be judged because they did not believe the truth but took pleasure in unrighteousness.

I have to disagree. Scripture indicates both good and evil angels report to God. Satan is labeled as "the father of lies". This was a demon spirit with an idea God approved. The literal rendering suggests the evil spirit would possess his subjects by being a lying spirit in their mouths. No indication in scripture, that I'm aware of, of righteous angels being able to "possess" human beings.

In the example you give above, the angel exercised his power upon those false prophets so that they spoke, not truth, but what they themselves wanted to say and what Ahab wanted to hear from them. God had forewarned Ahab but he preferred the lies and paid for it with his life

If the false prophets spoke what they themselves wanted to say, they would not need the angel in the first place. This is a classic example of God occasionally suspending free will to fulfill his sovereign plan.

Pegg

Jehovah our God is One
I have to disagree. Scripture indicates both good and evil angels report to God. Satan is labeled as "the father of lies". This was a demon spirit with an idea God approved. The literal rendering suggests the evil spirit would possess his subjects by being a lying spirit in their mouths. No indication in scripture, that I'm aware of, of righteous angels being able to "possess" human beings.

why would God cause a person to break his law, then punish him for it?

That is not what God does. The scriptures are clear that God does not cause people to do bad so that he can punish them. They show him to continually encourage them to do the right thing.

What is being misunderstood is how the hebrew language conveys certain ideas.

If the false prophets spoke what they themselves wanted to say, they would not need the angel in the first place. This is a classic example of God occasionally suspending free will to fulfill his sovereign plan.

and what was his sovereign plan in the case of Ahaz? Was it not that Ahab obey him and keep living?

What you are suggesting is that Gods sovereign plan was for Ahab to lead his people into error and destruction. Yet the scriptures show that God continually tells his people to do the right thing and keep living.

Dont let Satan fool you into believing that it is God himself who brings all the woes onto mankind.

Pegg

Jehovah our God is One
Then if they cannot do what they desire, it stands to reason, they don't have free will, right?

They are doing what they desire. They have rebelled against God. They have led mankind away from God through their deceptive false religions and philosophies that men have taken hold of.

But they have been stripped of some of their powers. Being stripped of some power does not mean you no longer have free will.

james2ko

That is not what God does. The scriptures are clear that God does not cause people to do bad so that he can punish them. They show him to continually encourage them to do the right thing. What is being misunderstood is how the hebrew language conveys certain ideas.

1. It doesn't make sense to us but that is what God's Word reflects. Notice how He hated Esau before He did anything good or evil:

Rom 9:11-16 But before they were born, before they had done anything good or bad, she received a message from God. (This message shows that God chooses people according to His own purposes; 12 He calls people, but not according to their good or bad works.) She was told, "Your older son will serve your younger son." 13 In the words of the Scriptures, "I loved Jacob, but I rejected Esau."14 Are we saying, then, that God was unfair? Of course not! 15 For God said to Moses, "I will show mercy to anyone I choose, and I will show compassion to anyone I choose." 16 So it is God who decides to show mercy. We can neither choose it nor work for it.(NLT)​

In other words, no matter what Esau did, it would not refrain God from hating him. Is God unfair for doing this? Paul says, "Of course not". But to our human minds it is unfair. In other words, God can suspend free will whenever He wants. Just as He did Pharoah's:

Rom 9:17-18 For the Scriptures say that God told Pharaoh, "I have appointed you for the very purpose of displaying My power in you and to spread My fame throughout the earth." 18 So you see, God chooses to show mercy to some, and He chooses to harden the hearts of others so they refuse to listen.

Pharaoh's heart was hardened by God the whole time. And I believe I can prove it from scripture. But here's the key verse that undeniably proves God can and does suspend free will:

Rom 9:19 Well then, you might say, "Why does God blame people for not responding? Haven't they simply done what He makes them do?"

This translation is consistent with the Greek. His answer?:

Rom 9:20-21 No, don't say that. Who are you, a mere human being, to argue with God? Should the thing that was created say to the One who created it, "Why have you made me like this?" 21 When a potter makes jars out of clay, doesn't He have a right to use the same lump of clay to make one jar for decoration and another to throw garbage into?​

In other words, how dare we--the created-- question Him-- the Creator-- for doing so. It may not be popular, but if one is intellectually honest and puts aside doctrinal biases, these scriptures imply one thing: God can and does create some of us for "decoration" and others to throw in the garbage (at least in this age). In other words, they have no choice.

and what was his sovereign plan in the case of Ahaz? Was it not that Ahab obey him and keep living? What you are suggesting is that Gods sovereign plan was for Ahab to lead his people into error and destruction. Yet the scriptures show that God continually tells his people to do the right thing and keep living.

2. Those whom He decides to show His mercy (His chosen people) will have a choice to do good or evil when tested. If obedient, they will be blessed. If disobedient, will suffer punishment. The lying spirit was God's way of punishing Ahab. Yet the scriptures clearly teach there are those like Pharaoh, Esau and his descendants, who have no choice. God has created them as vessels of dishonor.

They are doing what they desire. They have rebelled against God. They have led mankind away from God through their deceptive false religions and philosophies that men have taken hold of. But they have been stripped of some of their powers. Being stripped of some power does not mean you no longer have free will.

3. The power for Satan to destroy men has not been stripped away. He still has it and would love to utilize it (Joh 8:44), but God will not allow him to exercise his free will to do so. In the example of Job, God told satan he can do whatever he wants to Job's belongings the only exception was not to touch Job. He eventually destroyed Job's family and would have destroyed Job had God given Him the ok. So he is not doing what he desires, if it were up to him, satan would destroy all of mankind. He is only doing the evil that God allows.

why would God cause a person to break his law, then punish him for it?

4. Good question. He doesn't cause everyone to break His laws as illustrated in point 2. I know this concept is difficult to ascertain but the bible does warn that the sovereignty of God may be difficult for our fleshly, human, finite minds to grasp. God tells us in Isaiah that his thoughts and ways are higher than ours (Isa 55:9) and that His methods may not always make sense (Rom 11:34).

Sleeppy

Fatalist. Christian. Pacifist.
Before God's Kingdom of righteousness is spread over the earth, famines, wars, earthquakes, floods, storms, global warming, pollutions, cancers, aids, other diseases, homosexuality, adultery, fornication, and every desolating consequence of ignorance and fear, will take place.

The Sun and the Moon will begin to darken, as they have, due to pollution. Also, meteorites will threaten portions of the Earth.

All of this will be reversed and become things of the past.

Tumah

Veteran Member
ESV version. On that day the Lord will punish the hosts of heaven in heaven, and the kings of the earth on the earth.
JPS version starts with In that day.

Hosts of heaven are angels correct? Why would the Lord punish them?

Actually the word "YiFKOD" comes from the root "PaKaD" meaning to command or charge with, not punish. As in Ezra 1:2 "...and he commanded me to build..." Otherwise Genesis 21:1 is saying that G-d punished Sara by making her get pregnant.

Still the idea here is as you understand it that G-d commands punishment to befall them. The Orthodox Jewish understanding is that every nation in the world has a parallel angel in Heaven that acts as its Heavenly Representative.

The verse is saying that the divine angels that lead their respective nations will be punished as will the earthly kings that lead their respective nations.

Pegg

Jehovah our God is One
1. It doesn't make sense to us but that is what God's Word reflects. Notice how He hated Esau before He did anything good or evil:

Rom 9:11-16 But before they were born, before they had done anything good or bad, she received a message from God. (This message shows that God chooses people according to His own purposes; 12 He calls people, but not according to their good or bad works.) She was told, "Your older son will serve your younger son." 13 In the words of the Scriptures, "I loved Jacob, but I rejected Esau."14 Are we saying, then, that God was unfair? Of course not! 15 For God said to Moses, "I will show mercy to anyone I choose, and I will show compassion to anyone I choose." 16 So it is God who decides to show mercy. We can neither choose it nor work for it.(NLT)​

In other words, no matter what Esau did, it would not refrain God from hating him. Is God unfair for doing this? Paul says, "Of course not". But to our human minds it is unfair. In other words, God can suspend free will whenever He wants.

ask yourself what sort of person Esau was. Esau was not someone who appreciated spiritual things. He sold his birthright for a bowl of soup! Dont you think that this is the reason why God chose Jacob? God can see what each of us individually will become and this is an example of him using his foreknowledge to decide a matter.

God decided to give Jacob the blessing because he could see that Jacob would grow to become a spiritual person who would have faith in God. Esau would not be like that. God has conditions, Esau did not meet those conditions... it was completely fair.

Just as He did Pharoah's:

Rom 9:17-18 For the Scriptures say that God told Pharaoh, "I have appointed you for the very purpose of displaying My power in you and to spread My fame throughout the earth." 18 So you see, God chooses to show mercy to some, and He chooses to harden the hearts of others so they refuse to listen.

Pharaoh's heart was hardened by God the whole time. And I believe I can prove it from scripture. But here's the key verse that undeniably proves God can and does suspend free will:

Rom 9:19 Well then, you might say, "Why does God blame people for not responding? Haven't they simply done what He makes them do?"

This translation is consistent with the Greek. His answer?:

Rom 9:20-21 No, don't say that. Who are you, a mere human being, to argue with God? Should the thing that was created say to the One who created it, "Why have you made me like this?" 21 When a potter makes jars out of clay, doesn't He have a right to use the same lump of clay to make one jar for decoration and another to throw garbage into?​

In other words, how dare we--the created-- question Him-- the Creator-- for doing so. It may not be popular, but if one is intellectually honest and puts aside doctrinal biases, these scriptures imply one thing: God can and does create some of us for "decoration" and others to throw in the garbage (at least in this age). In other words, they have no choice.

The account of Pharaoh shows that God does not wipe out the wicked. Why? So he can demonstrate his own righteousness and power. Thats what the account of Pharaoh means. It doesnt mean that God caused Pharaoh to defy him.... it means that God allowed Pharaoh to exist even though he was defiant. And the purpose in doing that was to show Israel and the world Gods own power.

God could have destroyed Pharaoh immediately.... but instead, he allows Pharaoh to remain and to continue in his defiant stance. The result is an event that mankind never forgot....and here we are over 3,000 years later still tallking about it.

2. Those whom He decides to show His mercy (His chosen people) will have a choice to do good or evil when tested. If obedient, they will be blessed. If disobedient, will suffer punishment. The lying spirit was God's way of punishing Ahab. Yet the scriptures clearly teach there are those like Pharaoh, Esau and his descendants, who have no choice. God has created them as vessels of dishonor.

the idea of predestination is not in harmony with Gods love, nor with the scriptures.
To the 'chosen' christians, this warning came: Revelation 2:5*“‘Therefore remember from what you have fallen, and repent and do the former deeds. If you do not, I am coming to you, and I will remove your lampstand from its place, unless you repent"

If the christians being addressed here were predestined, why are they being told to repent and change their current way? Here we see they had already been chosen, but if they didnt repent, they would have their blessing removed from them. That is not pre-destination! '

And what about King Solomon. He was chosen by God for the kingship .... but toward the end of his life he became unfaithful! Why would God choose him and then send Solomon down the direction of unfaithfulness?

And what of King David when he sinned with Bathsheba... Did God orchestrate that act of adultery and murder after choosing David for the kingship???

That is what the idea of pre-destination would have you believe. Basically, every act of disobedience and murder and every other vile crime committed by every individual was orchestrated by God himself. Do you honestly believe that?

4. Good question. He doesn't cause everyone to break His laws as illustrated in point 2. I know this concept is difficult to ascertain but the bible does warn that the sovereignty of God may be difficult for our fleshly, human, finite minds to grasp. God tells us in Isaiah that his thoughts and ways are higher than ours (Isa 55:9) and that His methods may not always make sense (Rom 11:34).

Sorry, you cant claim pre-destination is real, and the reason why we dont understand it is because we are not as clever as God.

The scriptural accounts in the bible do not say anywhere that God causes us to sin and do wrong.
They say he allows us....but never does it say that he 'causes' us to do so.

Rather the bible continually pleads with mankind to 'turn around' and do 'good'' and change our bad ways:

Phillipians 4:8*Finally, brothers, whatever things are true, whatever things are of serious concern, whatever things are righteous, whatever things are chaste, whatever things are lovable, whatever things are well spoken of, whatever virtue there is and whatever praiseworthy thing there is, continue considering these things. 9*The things that YOU learned as well as accepted and heard and saw in connection with me, practice these; and the God of peace will be with you.

Colossians 1:21*Indeed, YOU who were once alienated and enemies because YOUR minds were on the works that were wicked, 22*he now has again reconciled by means of that one’s fleshly body through [his] death, in order to present YOU holy and unblemished and open to no accusation before him, 23*provided, of course, that YOU continue in the faith, established on the foundation and steadfast and not being shifted away from the hope of that good news which YOU heard, and which was preached in all creation that is under heaven. Of this [good news] I Paul became a minister

Our destiny is in our own hands... its up to us which road we will take and God says he will hold us accountable for the decisions we make:

“Do not be misled: God is not one to be mocked. For whatever a man is sowing, this he will also reap.”—Gal. 6:7.

And the biggest stumbling block to the idea of predistination is the teaching of 'repentance'. Why would God ask us to repent over the sins that he himself makes us do? Repentence means to 'turn around' and do something different to what you've been doing. Repentence completely kills the idea of pre-destination.

Last edited:

Benoni

This is an explanation from the Watchtower:

Scriptural Questions Answered:
1 Samuel 16:14—What bad spirit terrorized Saul?
The bad spirit that deprived Saul of his peace of mind was the bad inclination of his mind and heart—his inward urge to do wrong. When Jehovah withdrew his holy spirit, Saul lost its protection and came to be dominated by his own bad spirit. Since God permitted that spirit to replace His holy spirit, this bad spirit is termed “a bad spirit from Jehovah.”

This makes sense to me because if God is truly loving, and all his creations are good, then there could be no deliberate creation of anything bad. So I dont believe that God would deliberately create a bad angel and send him out to cause havoc.

The love of God would not permit him to act that way. So this explanation really sits well with me. It is in harmony with what we know and believe God to be and how he is described by the bible writers.

Better read your Bible??

Isa 45:7 I form the light, and create darkness: I make peace, and create evil: I the LORD do all these things.
Here is some further detail as to how He makes use of the "evil factor":
Jdg 9:23 Then God sent an evil spirit between Abimelech and the men of Shechem; and the men of Shechem dealt treacherously with Abimelech:

1Sa 16:14 But the Spirit of the LORD departed from Saul, and an evil spirit from the LORD troubled him.
1Sa 16:15 And Saul's servants said unto him, Behold now, an evil spirit from God troubleth thee.

1Sa 16:16 Let our lord now command thy servants, which are before thee, to seek out a man, who is a cunning player on an harp: and it shall come to pass, when the evil spirit from God is upon thee, that he shall play with his hand, and thou shalt be well.

1Sa 16:23 And it came to pass, when the evil spirit from God was upon Saul, that David took an harp, and played with his hand: so Saul was refreshed, and was well, and the evil spirit departed from him.

1Sa 18:10 And it came to pass on the morrow, that the evil spirit from God came upon Saul, and he prophesied in the midst of the house:

1Sa 19:9 And the evil spirit from the LORD was upon Saul, as he sat in his house with his javelin in his hand: and David played with his hand.

1Ki 22:23 Now therefore, behold, the LORD hath put a lying spirit in the mouth of all these thy prophets, and the LORD hath spoken evil concerning thee.

2Ch 18:22 Now therefore, behold, the LORD hath put a lying spirit in the mouth of these thy prophets, and the LORD hath spoken evil against thee.

This is not to "blame" God for evil, but to simply clarify that evil is also a tool He uses in the grand scheme of things.

CMike

ESV version. On that day the Lord will punish the hosts of heaven in heaven, and the kings of the earth on the earth.
JPS version starts with In that day.

Hosts of heaven are angels correct? Why would the Lord punish them?

It's referring to the heavenly princes of the nations.

CMike

Some of them became rebellious....they will be held accountable for their actions just like we are.

Jude 6*And the angels that did not keep their original position but forsook their own proper dwelling place he has reserved with eternal bonds under dense darkness for the judgment of the great day

Angels can't rebel. They have no free will.

CMike

If they had complete free will, then why didn't satan disobey God's command and kill job?
Many say that Job didn't actually happen. That Moses made it up when dealing with the issue of why bad things happen to good people.

Pegg

Jehovah our God is One
Angels can't rebel. They have no free will.

the account in the hebrew scriptures about the angels deliberating over what they could do to bring Ahab to a particular place speaks otherwise.

Those angels had the ability to make their own determination.

To claim they have no free-will contradicts the Hebrew scriptures.

Benoni

the account in the hebrew scriptures about the angels deliberating over what they could do to bring Ahab to a particular place speaks otherwise.

Those angels had the ability to make their own determination.

To claim they have no free-will contradicts the Hebrew scriptures.
Were you not the one who contradicts the Hebrew scriptures in reference to Adam Not having a free-will? The Greek scriptures too?

Benoni

ISA 63:17 O LORD, why hast thou made us to err from thy ways, and hardened our heart from thy fear? Return for thy servants' sake, the tribes of thine inheritance.

ROM 5:20 Law came in, to increase the trespass; but where sin increased, grace abounded all the more,

ROM 11:8 as it is written, "God gave them a spirit of stupor, eyes that should not see and ears that should not hear, down to this very day."

GAL 3:22 But thescripture hath concluded all under sin, that the promise by faith of Jesus Christ might be given to them that believe. .

Jeremiah 18:1 The word which came to Jeremiah from the LORD, saying: 2 “Arise and go down to the potter’s house, and there I will cause you to hear My words.” 3 Then I went down to the potter’s house, and there he was, making something at the wheel. 4 And the vessel that he made of clay was marred in the hand of the potter; so he made it again into another vessel, as it seemed good to the potter to make.
5 Then the word of the LORD came to me, saying: 6 “O house of Israel, can I not do with you as this potter?” says the LORD. “Look, as the clay is in the potter’s hand, so are you in My hand, O house of Israel! 7 The instant I speak concerning a nation and concerning a kingdom, to pluck up, to pull down, and to destroy it, 8 if that nation against whom I have spoken turns from its evil, I will relent of the disaster that I thought to bring upon it. 9 And the instant I speak concerning a nation and concerning a kingdom, to build and to plant it, 10 if it does evil in My sight so that it does not obey My voice, then I will relent concerning the good with which I said I would benefit it.
11 “Now therefore, speak to the men of Judah and to the inhabitants of Jerusalem, saying, ‘Thus says the LORD: “Behold, I am fashioning a disaster and devising a plan against you. Return now every one from his evil way, and make your ways and your doings good.”’”

12 And they said, “That is hopeless! So we will walk according to our own plans, and we will every one obey the dictates of his evil heart.”
13 Therefore thus says the LORD:

Ps. 90:1-3. "Lord, You have been our dwelling place in all generations. Before the mountains were brought forth, or ever You have formed the earth or the world, even from everlasting to everlasting, You are God. You (God) turn man to destruction; and say return you children of men.

(NIRV) Romans 8: 20 The created world was bound to fail. But that was not the result of its own choice. It was planned that way by the One who made it. God planned to set the created world free. He didn't want it to rot away completely. Instead, he wanted it to have the same glorious freedom that his children have

james2ko

ask yourself what sort of person Esau was. Esau was not someone who appreciated spiritual things. He sold his birthright for a bowl of soup! Dont you think that this is the reason why God chose Jacob? God can see what each of us individually will become and this is an example of him using his foreknowledge to decide a matter. God decided to give Jacob the blessing because he could see that Jacob would grow to become a spiritual person who would have faith in God. Esau would not be like that. God has conditions, Esau did not meet those conditions... it was completely fair.

1. A person's actions is not always the cause of God's favor or disfavor. It can also be the effect. That is evident from Rom 9:15-16:

Rom 9:15-16 For he saith to Moses, I will have mercy on whom I will have mercy, and I will have compassion on whom I will have compassion. 16 So then it is not of him that willeth, nor of him that runneth, but of God that sheweth mercy.

The grammatical structure of these verses clearly indicate it is God--not the person-- who is sometimes the cause of a person's actions and very clearly states He can suspend free will!

The account of Pharaoh shows that God does not wipe out the wicked. Why? So he can demonstrate his own righteousness and power. Thats what the account of Pharaoh means. It doesnt mean that God caused Pharaoh to defy him.... it means that God allowed Pharaoh to exist even though he was defiant. And the purpose in doing that was to show Israel and the world Gods own power.

2. The scriptures tell a different story, Pegg:

Rom 9:18-19 So you see, God chooses to show mercy to some, and He chooses to harden the hearts of others so they refuse to listen.

The Greek term "hardens" is in the present active tense/voice. The active voice indicates the subject, in this case God, as the one performing the action--showing mercy, hardening the heart. The present tense tells us God did it then and still does it today. The fact God may at times suspend free will so people refuse to listen is made even more plain in the next verse:

19 Well then, you might say, "Why does God blame people for not responding? Haven't they simply done what He makes them do?"

Paul then indignantly responds:

Rom 9:20 No, don't say that. Who are you, a mere human being, to argue with God? Should the thing that was created say to the One who created it, "Why have you made me like this?"​

Using today's syntax, we could accurately translate this as: "How dare you, a mere human, question what God can or cannot do to you." Paul says nothing of God "allowing" bad things to happen. It cannot be any clearer, Pegg. God sometimes "makes" people do bad things.

God could have destroyed Pharaoh immediately.... but instead, he allows Pharaoh to remain and to continue in his defiant stance. The result is an event that mankind never forgot....and here we are over 3,000 years later still tallking about it.

3. It seems you are attempting to create an inconsistency by implying that the hardening of Pharaoh's heart and allowing him to live are not mutually exclusive, when the scriptures indicate both conditions did co-exist.

the idea of predestination is not in harmony with Gods love, nor with the scriptures. To the 'chosen' christians, this warning came: Revelation 2:5*“‘Therefore remember from what you have fallen, and repent and do the former deeds. If you do not, I am coming to you, and I will remove your lampstand from its place, unless you repent"

If the christians being addressed here were predestined, why are they being told to repent and change their current way? Here we see they had already been chosen, but if they didnt repent, they would have their blessing removed from them. That is not pre-destination! '

And what about King Solomon. He was chosen by God for the kingship .... but toward the end of his life he became unfaithful! Why would God choose him and then send Solomon down the direction of unfaithfulness? And what of King David when he sinned with Bathsheba... Did God orchestrate that act of adultery and murder after choosing David for the kingship???

That is what the idea of pre-destination would have you believe. Basically, every act of disobedience and murder and every other vile crime committed by every individual was orchestrated by God himself. Do you honestly believe that?

4. You misunderstand. Not every sinful action by God's people is orchestrated by God. His chosen will mostly have a choice to do good or evil when tested. If obedient, they will be blessed. If disobedient, will suffer punishment. But my point is there are times where God may, for His own sovereign reasons, also suspend His people's free will:

Isa 63:17 O LORD, why have You made us stray from Your ways, And hardened our heart from Your fear? Return for Your servants' sake, The tribes of Your inheritance.​

In this instance, God made His people stray from His ways and hardened their hearts. These two verbs are in the Hiphil stem which implies a causative effect from the subject (Jehovah). In other words, Jehovah--not the people--is the cause of the hardening and straying! I suspect He did so in order to later exhibit His compassion and mercy and perhaps to instill in them the lesson of absence (of God's presence) makes the heart grow fonder. In contrast, He caused unbelieving Pharaoh's defiance for the purpose of showing His power and wrath to His people and the world. This is consistent with Rom 9:22-23:

Rom 9:22-23 In the same way, even though God has the right to show His anger and His power, He is very patient with those on whom His anger falls, who are destined for destruction. 23 He does this to make the riches of His glory shine even brighter on those to whom He shows mercy, who were prepared in advance for glory.​

Last edited:

james2ko

Sorry, you cant claim pre-destination is real, and the reason why we dont understand it is because we are not as clever as God.

5. Human logic is not a prerequisite for God to perform an action. Look at all the "illogical" actions God asked some of the prophets to perform: God telling Isaiah to stay naked for 3 years in front his people. Ezekiel was told to eat a scroll and lie on one side for 390 days eating only bread made from several types of grain (a thing forbidden in the Law) and baked with human excrement. Hosea was told to marry a prostitute. Jeremiah had to make a yoke and wear it every day. God's actions do not always need our "logical" approval (Isa 55:9)

The scriptural accounts in the bible do not say anywhere that God causes us to sin and do wrong. They say he allows us....but never does it say that he 'causes' us to do so. Rather the bible continually pleads with mankind to 'turn around' and do 'good'' and change our bad ways:

6. You may want to read more of the scriptures and less of the WT. (I mean that respectfully):

Isa 63:17 O LORD, why have You made us stray from Your ways, And hardened our heart from Your fear? Return for Your servants' sake, The tribes of Your inheritance.

Rom 9:18 Therefore He has mercy on whom He wills, and whom He wills He hardens.

Rom 11:8 (According as it is written, God hath given them the spirit of slumber, eyes that they should not see, and ears that they should not hear) unto this day.

Phillipians 4:8*Finally, brothers, whatever things are true, whatever things are of serious concern, whatever things are righteous, whatever things are chaste, whatever things are lovable, whatever things are well spoken of, whatever virtue there is and whatever praiseworthy thing there is, continue considering these things. 9*The things that YOU learned as well as accepted and heard and saw in connection with me, practice these; and the God of peace will be with you.

7. Telling His prophet Hosea to marry a prostitute is not "virtuous". Telling someone to kill another person is not "righteous". Placing a lying spirit in a person does not exemplify truth. Yet we see throughout scripture God do these things. We have to read these verses in their proper context, Pegg.

Colossians 1:21*Indeed, YOU who were once alienated and enemies because YOUR minds were on the works that were wicked, 22*he now has again reconciled by means of that one’s fleshly body through [his] death, in order to present YOU holy and unblemished and open to no accusation before him, 23*provided, of course, that YOU continue in the faith, established on the foundation and steadfast and not being shifted away from the hope of that good news which YOU heard, and which was preached in all creation that is under heaven. Of this [good news] I Paul became a minister. Our destiny is in our own hands... its up to us which road we will take and God says he will hold us accountable for the decisions we make:

“Do not be misled: God is not one to be mocked. For whatever a man is sowing, this he will also reap.”—Gal. 6:7.

And the biggest stumbling block to the idea of predistination is the teaching of 'repentance'. Why would God ask us to repent over the sins that he himself makes us do? Repentence means to 'turn around' and do something different to what you've been doing. Repentence completely kills the idea of pre-destination.

8. God does call us and expects those who respond to repent. Those who repent will face testing and may have God harden their hearts and stray away (perhaps with the foreknowledge they would repent) to teach them a lesson as He did Israel in Isa 63:17. The scriptures plainly state He may interfere with our free will as He sees fit. So no, our destiny is not entirely in our hands. A built in incentive to stay humble and reverent.

Last edited: