• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is your partner a UU, too?

applewuud

This is a discussion for Unitarian-Universalists who are actively involved in a church or fellowship (e.g., going to Sunday services 2 or more times a month, on a committee, volunteering as a teacher etc.) but whose spouses or partners or significant others are not, either because they're part of another religion, or because they're agnostic, or don't see the value in being involved with "church stuff" even if they're theologically a UU.

How do you feel about that? Do you wish they would be as active as you are, or doesn't it matter? Does it make you question your own commitment? Do you encourage your partner to come to church in any way?

Karl R

I sing in the choir and attend 3-4 Sundays per month. My fiancée attends about 4-6 services per year.

I don't have an issue with that. She is glad that I'm involved in other activities (outside of work and shared activities). Similarly, I have only a casual interest in some activities that are near and dear to her.

My commitment is independent of hers.

I've let her know that she is welcome to join me any Sunday. I periodically invite her to attend with me. Since she enjoys the sermons and the people, she sometimes attends with me. She also regularly attends choir social functions.

User Name

My beloved does not consider herself a part of any religion, and does not associate with spirituality. I am not at all disappointed, nor do I feel a wish for her to practice with me.

I'm not married yet, but my dating companion is probably as strange as I am. He is an Islamically inclined anti-religionistic, deistic-but-not-quite-atheistic agnostickish person.

He considers himself a UU Muslim although he just started trying out the services about a month ago, which he has liked so far. Even if grudgingly (to get out of bed), we'll often light the chalice together and sometimes say grace (which I slightly enforce; I like being thankful,) but often enough the graces he'll say are "Thanks for the food. Amin."

Which is perfect. :)

I'll invite him to church once in a while. If he doesn't want to, that's fine, and I have no qualms with that. We used to read the Bhagavad Gita once a week regularly before we began dating. :D <3 What I do expect is tolerance of each other's belief systems, and the honesty and mutual respect therewith.