• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is World Peace possible?

Conceivia

Working to save mankind
Most people seem to think World peace is not possible.

So... Let me expand that question. Is World Peace possible for God? Can God bring about World Peace?

Tony

Kirran

Premium Member
Well, I think world peace is possible, although not for a while. But I don't think that it would affirm the existence of an Abrahamic God.

Of course, it depends how you define world peace. No wars or genocides, sure. But no murders or discrimination (sexism/racism/religious discrimination)? More tricky.

Awoon

I said no money to be made by peace. The Military industrial complex is Boss over the World.

Kirran

Premium Member
I said no money to be made by peace. The Military industrial complex is Boss over the World.

But it's certainly possible to make money in times of peace. People do it all the time.

Sure, it's pretty powerful, but it's by no means monolithic, and by no means exclusively military.

It's not like humans started to be violent in the 1940s though.

Humans are violent by nature, thats's it. No world peace. Ever. And it's nothing to do with 'the profitability of war'.

JayJayDee

Avid JW Bible Student
What is interesting to note, is that the majority of humans want world peace but it can never be achieved as long as "man dominates man".

There are a minority of powerful and wealthy humans who run everything behind the scenes. Why do these relative "few" rob the rest of us of the life we could all have but for human pride, selfishness and greed?

1) Because power corrupts and absolute power corrupt absolutely, as we all know.

2) Because the one who rules this world is a violence-loving, ego stroking despot who will stop at nothing to get what he wants. He whips up people's emotions to the point that they will override their God-given conscience to give vent to those emotions engendered by either political or religious propaganda, or any other agenda that is put in front of them. Who is behind such propaganda? The puppeteer. (1 John 5:19)

What does he place in front of humans to get their attention? Anything that will attract their eyes and solicit selfish desire....just as he did in Eden with the woman. The advertising industry depends on this human trait.
Satan made the forbidden fruit look attractive to her eyes and then he lied about its effect on her life.....he has been using the same tactic for millennia....so has the advertising industry in more modern times. (1 John 2:15-17)

As long as the world is ruled by corrupt humans, we will never see world peace (i.e. an absence of war, which is not really the peace we desire.)

Unless it is suggested as a deceptively good idea to the masses, it will not be introduced without protest. It will mean surrendering all the rights that humans have fought for, for centuries. This is actually what the Bible predicts. One world government will take over the reigns and impose their rulership on all of us. The finger points to a presently toothless tiger who will be given power by the nations to impose its absolute rulership. It will appear to be for the common good. It will even promise "peace and security"....but it will be short lived. (1 Thess 5:1-3)

The UN has been a weak "peace-keeping" force since its resurrection after the Second World War. It is presently unable to contain the world's unrelenting violence. If the nations were to give it power, it could accomplish its aims....but only at the expense of all our freedom.

The Bible indicates that this organization will be given power in the near future and will finally take control of earth's affairs, including authority over all commodities. It will dictate our actions if we want access to even the necessities of life.

This is looming as we speak. "The mark of the beast" will signal that people have given their sanction to its aims, probably innocently at first, but once it dawns on them what it has cost, they will be very angry, but too late. (Rev 13:11-18)

It's all in the Bible......

Conceivia

Working to save mankind
that people have given their sanction to its aims

First time I've ever heard the word "sanction" used correctly. The politicians are always corrupting that word,

I think people are getting of the subject here though. What I'm asking, is can God create World Peace? Does God have the power to do this? Because, if God can do this, that proves that World Peace is possible.

Yes, absolute power corrupts, but it is possible to make a system of society that does not give absolute power.

No money to be made by peace.

It is possible to make a system of society that does not motivate people to make war.

Humans are violent by nature, thats's it. No world peace. Ever. And it's nothing to do with 'the profitability of war'.

We are a product of our environment. Our environment is our system of society. It is possible to make a system of society that does not motivate violence. There has always been both violent and peaceful societies through out history. Some forms of society make people peaceful, and other forms make people violent.

Now, remember, the subject is can God create World Peace.

Tony

Pegg

Jehovah our God is One
Most people seem to think World peace is not possible.

So... Let me expand that question. Is World Peace possible for God? Can God bring about World Peace?

Tony

If the thing which disrupts peace is removed, then peace can exist.

What in your view is a roadblock to peace in our world today? (and actually all through history because the world has never really been at peace)

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I'd assume the author of the entire Universe could arrange world peace, should He so choose.

Without divine intervention, though, I think we'd need to get a better handle on our Pleistocene psychology. The first step in controlling fear, tribalism, authoritarianism, &c, is to recognize them.
Know thyself.

Conceivia

Working to save mankind
Interesting bible quote there....
Isaiah 2:2 "...the mountain of the house of Jehovah will become firmly established...and to it all the nations must stream" BIBLE STUDY
Hmm... apparently it is not part of the post...

Anyway, basically what Isaiah is talking about, is how World Peace will come about. That God will setup a group of experts, lead by the Savior, who will "stream" wisdom to the world, and all the nations of the world will listen and learn from their wisdom.

I believe it is mostly a matter of education. People fight out of stupidity. People seek power out of stupidity. People seek money out of stupidity. None of these things bring happiness. People make war out of stupidity. Educate people in God's wisdom, and we will have peace.

To make peace, the people must learn to love. They must learn to care about each other. I know this sounds like mush, but there is a science behind it. There is also great rewards for this, beyond just survival of our species.

The UN has been a weak "peace-keeping" force since its resurrection after the Second World War. It is presently unable to contain the world's unrelenting violence. If the nations were to give it power, it could accomplish its aims....but only at the expense of all our freedom.

Jesus was asked how do we know when Judgment Day is comming, and his answer was "when they shall say peace and safety, than sudden destruction shall come upon them". Chapter one of the UN's charter document says "peace and security". Security is a word which means safety. So the formation of the UN is the statement, peace and safety. Likewise, NATO, the NATO treaty also says "peace and security".

NATO is a war machine. Literally a private company, organized to make war for profit. A trade union, which acts in the interest of profits, which it does by making war.

The UN is also overly involved in war.

I give this example to show that this is what politicians know. The essence of a politician, the core thinking, is that of force. Force=war. War is all that politicians know. When we ask them for peace and safety, the only method they can think of to achieve it, is war.

See, what I'm saying, is they need to learn peace. They need to learn to love, not hate.

I'm going to make a video in a few months to explain this, going to be a lot of work though.

Tony

JayJayDee

Avid JW Bible Student
Anyway, basically what Isaiah is talking about, is how World Peace will come about. That God will setup a group of experts, lead by the Savior, who will "stream" wisdom to the world, and all the nations of the world will listen and learn from their wisdom.

No! actually, Isaiah is not saying that exactly. He is saying that people from all nations will stream to Jehovah's worship "in the final part of the days" because they have followed the teachings of the Christ. It will never be "all the nations" bringing their conduct into line with God's teachings because Jesus himself said that "few" are actually on the "road to life" (Matt 7:13, 14) Even "many" who claim to be Christians are not going to fare well because they refuse to "do the will of the Father". (Matt7:21-23)

These ones will demonstrate their allegiance to God by refraining to become involved in the world's political conflicts. These "will learn war no more", having put down their carnal weapons in favor of "the sword of the spirit"...God's word. They will be preachers and teachers, not fighters and blood spillers.

I give this example to show that this is what politicians know. The essence of a politician, the core thinking, is that of force. Force=war. War is all that politicians know. When we ask them for peace and safety, the only method they can think of to achieve it, is war.

Not to mention how lucrative war is for the weapons suppliers and manufacturers. Google who the main ones are.

See, what I'm saying, is they need to learn peace. They need to learn to love, not hate.

This is what Isaiah foretold. But mankind in general are not the ones Isaiah was talking about. The powers that be see peace as merely the absence of war...as something that can be enforced....but they are not really achieving anything are they? We have to ask "do they really want to"? True peace as you can plainly see is not their aim. Unless you can rid the world of hatred, it can never happen.
As you said, they need to learn to love, not hate. That is where true peace comes from....the heart.

Isaiah was talking about people streaming to God's mountain....his place of worship. Their one common characteristic is that they refuse to "learn war anymore". So humans can be peaceful within themselves by refusing to become either physically or emotionally involved with the world and its conflicts as Jesus said. For this he said they would be hated. (John 15:18-21)

We are commanded to love even our enemies....which is something Christendom has not been able to display. When their respective nations go to war...Christians are supporting the bloodshed along with everyone else, so it isn't what people say that makes them Christians...it is what they do and how well they can be peaceful in themselves by eradicating hatred from their heats even for their enemies.