• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is transitioning (transgender) a sin?

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
If a person who suffers from gender/sex dysphoria transitions, is it a sin for them to transition?

To my mind, transgenderism/transsexuality poses a problem to Christian anthropology as regards the sexes. Traditional Christianity teaches that God made humanity as male and female. That is the primal identity for a human being. Everything else follows from that. So your soul is either male or female because the body and the soul are both required to make up a complete human being (hence the notion of the Resurrection over something like reincarnation, which treats the body as a disposable facade). So if you're a man, you're a man because your soul is male and because your body proclaims you ad such. It's an intrinsic reality. Same for females.

So how are transsexuals supposed to figure into this? The best theory about it that science has is the brain of the fetus is hit with a large amount of the hormones of the opposite sex while in the womb. This causes the brain to either masculinize or femininize. It creates the dysphoria since the brain expects the body to be one thing but it's the other. Only hormonal and surgical intervention has been proven to help, so far.

In this view, transsexualism is a sex differentiation disorder, a neurological condition - a medical condition at the root of it. It's not a mental illness or a delusion. (I'm only speaking about transsexualism here because I don't really understand things like non-binary, degender, trans people who don't want to transition or whatever else that's under the "trans umbrella" and science hasn't said anything about them, as far as I know. It's not my reality, either.)

So how would such a person fit into Christian anthropology of the sexes? Were they meant to be the sex that is encoded in their chromosomes and it is destroying God's creation to tamper with it? What about the fact the brain more closely matches the brain of the identified sex? You can't just throw the science of it out, emerging as it may be.

Can a male soul become incarnate in a female body and vice versa? People are born with all manner of congenital birth defects and other mishaps, including being intersex which transsexualism may well be a sort of intersex condition. Christianity teaches that all bodily defects and problems will be fixed after the Resurrection when humanity receives glorified bodies. Might that be the case for transsexuals? Might we finally receive bodies that match our brains and souls?

All I know that is Christianity had better start thinking about this issue in a logical way. I have seen no real attempts from the Catholic or Orthodox Churches to address this issue in a theological way. If they say that it is a sin to transition, then you throw the science out the window and condemn transsexuals who have transitioned to lives of being outcast from church communities and humiliation. After all, after a certain point in transitioning, you can't really detransition. If you say it is fine, you still have to square it with the theology surrounding the creation of male and female.

Personally I see being transsexual as a medical condition or a birth defect of sorts. I'm not really proud of it and just wish my body and mind were in alignment. I don't think of it as spitting in the face of God (I love God even if I don't understand Him/Her), but as treating a medical condition. If the Resurrection is true, I pray that God will have mercy on me and other transsexuals.

Last edited:

idav

Being
Premium Member
I haven't really heard much about religion and transgender.

Though there was this view Thomas Aquinas had regarding the lower status of women, he regarded them as defective males. That kind of thinking likely stems from a literal interpretation of Eve coming from Adams rib. Back then they were also under the impression that creation came completely from the male. Just a general knowledge of current science should put a hard stop to any of that nonsense, but then I hear there are still flat earthers out there.
Thomas Aquinas on the Generation of Women

It probably takes a little more science study to realize that a fetus is consummated genderless which would help mitigate any misunderstandings about what being transgender means. I think that may be even easier to understand than the science on sexual orientation but hard to say.

You probably saw my post regarding people who think God doesn't make mistakes with creating humans, so like the science on sexual orientation, the science on gender could also be an affront to any fragile outlook on God. I'd agree that religion needs to start figuring it out and it helps for those religions whose default is not to just throw science out the window. Buddhisms probably already well prepared for such a transition as I don't think they see spirit in gender form.

Shiranui117

Pronounced Shee-ra-noo-ee
Premium Member
If a person who suffers from gender/sex dysphoria transitions, is it a sin for them to transition?

To my mind, transgenderism/transsexuality poses a problem to Christian anthropology as regards the sexes. Traditional Christianity teaches that God made humanity as male and female. That is the primal identity for a human being. Everything else follows from that. So your soul is either male or female because the body and the soul are both required to make up a complete human being (hence the notion of the Resurrection over something like reincarnation, which treats the body as a disposable facade). So if you're a man, you're a man because your soul is male and because your body proclaims you ad such. It's an intrinsic reality. Same for females.

So how are transsexuals supposed to figure into this? The best theory about it that science has is the brain of the fetus is hit with a large amount of the hormones of the opposite sex while in the womb. This causes the brain to either masculinize or femininize. It creates the dysphoria since the brain expects the body to be one thing but it's the other. Only hormonal and surgical intervention has been proven to help, so far.

In this view, transsexualism is a sex differentiation disorder, a neurological condition - a medical condition at the root of it. It's not a mental illness or a delusion. (I'm only speaking about transsexualism here because I don't really understand things like non-binary, degender, trans people who don't want to transition or whatever else that's under the "trans umbrella" and science hasn't said anything about them, as far as I know. It's not my reality, either.)

So how would such a person fit into Christian anthropology of the sexes? Were they meant to be the sex that is encoded in their chromosomes and it is destroying God's creation to tamper with it? What about the fact the brain more closely matches the brain of the identified sex? You can't just throw the science of it out, emerging as it may be.
Honestly, since this field of research is so new and we hardly know jack about how the brain works in general (let alone talking about how sex/gender factors into it), I think Christianity is in a bad position to give hard-and-fast rulings on this. Maybe there's a way to make the brain come into alignment with the body, rather than vice-versa, or at least stop the gender dysphoria without having to feminize or masculinize one's appearance, or undergo sex reassignment surgery. I do think it's INCREDIBLY irresponsible to encourage prepubescent children with gender dysphoria to physically transition or delay puberty. Kids are still exploring their bodies and learning how they work, and I remember seeing stats saying that 96-98% of children with gender dysphoria stop having it once they go through puberty.

What I do think we need to do as a society is to stop classifying certain ways of living as being "masculine" or "feminine". A man is allowed to show weakness and vulnerability. A woman is allowed to be an *** kicking go-getter who never shows a hint of doubt or weakness. A woman can take the dominant role in a relationship and be the sole breadwinner if that's what the couple both are comfortable with and can harmoniously make happen. A woman can dress in guy's clothes (because let's face it, men's jeans are INFINITELY superior to womens' jeans in like every category, ESPECIALLY when it comes to pocket size), and plenty of cultures around the world like India and Scotland have something akin to skirts which are still entirely manly.

If anything, I think the question of what it means to be transsexual or transgender is causing a lot of people to reevaluate what it means to be a man or a woman. We're starting to question a lot of our long-held, unspoken beliefs about gender roles and standards in our society, and I think that's a good thing. Maybe some transgender people are choosing to identify as the other gender because they have come to associate being a "man" or a "woman" with a set list of expected behaviors, appearances, attitudes and roles in society.

Can a male soul become incarnate in a female body and vice versa? People are born with all manner of congenital birth defects and other mishaps, including being intersex which transsexualism may well be a sort of intersex condition.
I think this terminology is problematic because it assumes that souls pre-exist conception. This has never been Christian teaching, and it was actually condemned at the Fifth Ecumenical Council in 553 when certain ideas of Origins were anathematized as heresy.

Christianity teaches that all bodily defects and problems will be fixed after the Resurrection when humanity receives glorified bodies. Might that be the case for transsexuals? Might we finally receive bodies that match our brains and souls?
I have no idea, honestly, and I don't think anyone can tell you for sure.

All I know that is Christianity had better start thinking about this issue in a logical way. I have seen no real attempts from the Catholic or Orthodox Churches to address this issue in a theological way. If they say that it is a sin to transition, then you throw the science out the window and condemn transsexuals who have transitioned to lives of being outcast from church communities and humiliation. After all, after a certain point in transitioning, you can't really detransition. If you say it is fine, you still have to square it with the theology surrounding the creation of male and female.
It took the Church more than 60 years to fully deal with claims that Jesus isn't God, which directly assaulted one of the core tenets of Christian faith. If something like THAT took the better part of a century for the Church to handle, how fast do you think they'll be able to handle a matter of human/sexual ethics, especially when even the science isn't anywhere close to having transsexual and intersexual issues nailed down yet?

Onyx

Premium Member
Is transitioning (transgender) a sin?

Since I think the concept of "sin" is 100% bullcrap to begin with, my answer is no.

If you believe in "God", then perhaps it may be useful to consider that your body is a consequence of the laws of physics designed by this deity, the responsibility of which rests on its shoulders - not yours.

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
Honestly, since this field of research is so new and we hardly know jack about how the brain works in general (let alone talking about how sex/gender factors into it), I think Christianity is in a bad position to give hard-and-fast rulings on this. Maybe there's a way to make the brain come into alignment with the body, rather than vice-versa, or at least stop the gender dysphoria without having to feminize or masculinize one's appearance, or undergo sex reassignment surgery. I do think it's INCREDIBLY irresponsible to encourage prepubescent children with gender dysphoria to physically transition or delay puberty. Kids are still exploring their bodies and learning how they work, and I remember seeing stats saying that 96-98% of children with gender dysphoria stop having it once they go through puberty.

What I do think we need to do as a society is to stop classifying certain ways of living as being "masculine" or "feminine". A man is allowed to show weakness and vulnerability. A woman is allowed to be an *** kicking go-getter who never shows a hint of doubt or weakness. A woman can take the dominant role in a relationship and be the sole breadwinner if that's what the couple both are comfortable with and can harmoniously make happen. A woman can dress in guy's clothes (because let's face it, men's jeans are INFINITELY superior to womens' jeans in like every category, ESPECIALLY when it comes to pocket size), and plenty of cultures around the world like India and Scotland have something akin to skirts which are still entirely manly.

If anything, I think the question of what it means to be transsexual or transgender is causing a lot of people to reevaluate what it means to be a man or a woman. We're starting to question a lot of our long-held, unspoken beliefs about gender roles and standards in our society, and I think that's a good thing. Maybe some transgender people are choosing to identify as the other gender because they have come to associate being a "man" or a "woman" with a set list of expected behaviors, appearances, attitudes and roles in society.

I think this terminology is problematic because it assumes that souls pre-exist conception. This has never been Christian teaching, and it was actually condemned at the Fifth Ecumenical Council in 553 when certain ideas of Origins were anathematized as heresy.

I have no idea, honestly, and I don't think anyone can tell you for sure.

It took the Church more than 60 years to fully deal with claims that Jesus isn't God, which directly assaulted one of the core tenets of Christian faith. If something like THAT took the better part of a century for the Church to handle, how fast do you think they'll be able to handle a matter of human/sexual ethics, especially when even the science isn't anywhere close to having transsexual and intersexual issues nailed down yet?
Maybe some people are identifying as trans due to strict gender roles, but transsexualism isn't a result of gender roles. Studies have shown neurological differences between the brains of transsexuals and the brains of the sex they were assigned at birth. I recall there also being a genetic study of trans women that found a associated with them. I know that me being a trans guy has nothing to so with gender roles. Many trans men explore female ways of being masculine and find that it doesn't fit us, such as living as butch lesbians for a time. I did that, too. Didn't work for me. I always saw myself as a man, never as a woman.

As for transgender children, I think it's great they are being offered a choice. I wish I had that choice when I was a kid. It is a serious decision and not one to be taken lightly. But they are given plenty of time to decide.

Yeah, I guess they're a bit confused about it right now. I can understand that but leaves people like me in a state of limbo. They have plenty of information to begin addressing it now. It's not like trans people are anything new, anyway.

Last edited:

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member

Can a male soul become incarnate in a female body and vice versa? People are born with all manner of congenital birth defects and other mishaps, including being intersex which transsexualism may well be a sort of intersex condition. Christianity teaches that all bodily defects and problems will be fixed after the Resurrection when humanity receives glorified bodies. Might that be the case for transsexuals? Might we finally receive bodies that match our brains and souls?

Personally I see being transsexual as a medical condition or a birth defect of sorts. I'm not really proud of it and just wish my body and mind were in alignment. I don't think of it as spitting in the face of God (I love God even if I don't understand Him/Her), but as treating a medical condition. If the Resurrection is true, I pray that God will have mercy on me and other transsexuals.

I actually never saw transgender as a disorder. My cousin is a female inside and out. I wouldn't know what disorder she has but more of the stress and affect she had with herself growing up in an environment that beat her and a father that disowned her. If people were accepting of people in general, I bet dysphoria wouldn't exist as a "condition" at all. That's why it's a gender identity rather than a gender disorder.

That's just me personally.

Religiously, I would think biblically "god" would have more of problem with homosexuals than transgender people. Changing your body to match your assigned gender isn't a sin. If that be the case, people who get boob jobs and face lifts would go to hell too. But us homosexuals, on the other hand, once we touch the person we love it's a sin.

It affects the transgender person most definitely but from a religious perspective, you may get a lot of interpretations but the best one come from you and god. No one else.

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
Since I think the concept of "sin" is 100% bullcrap to begin with, my answer is no.

If you believe in "God", then perhaps it may be useful to consider that your body is a consequence of the laws of physics designed by this deity, the responsibility of which rests on its shoulders - not yours.
It does seem cruel for it to be a sin. It's like blaming someone for having an illness.

Mister Silver

Faith's Nightmare
I actually never saw transgender as a disorder. My cousin is a female inside and out. I wouldn't know what disorder she has but more of the stress and affect she had with herself growing up in an environment that beat her and a father that disowned her. If people were accepting of people in general, I bet dysphoria wouldn't exist as a "condition" at all. That's why it's a gender identity rather than a gender disorder.

Religiously, I would think biblically "god" would have more of problem with homosexuals than transgender people. Changing your body to match your assigned gender isn't a sin. If that be the case, people who get boob jobs and face lifts would go to hell too. But us homosexuals, on the other hand, once we touch the person we love it's a sin.

It affects the transgender person most definitely but from a religious perspective, you may get a lot of interpretations but the best one come from you and god. No one else.

That theistic notion that homosexuality is a sin is such a brick wall with fundamentalists theists; from what I have learned and experienced through meeting them in person during my adult working life, christians are okay with me being gay. Of course, that may just be them being kind since they know they could get in trouble at work if they expressed their true feelings, but I never got that impression.

As for trans people, I cannot imagine it being a sin either.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
That theistic notion that homosexuality is a sin is such a brick wall with fundamentalists theists; from what I have learned and experienced through meeting them in person during my adult working life, christians are okay with me being gay. Of course, that may just be them being kind since they know they could get in trouble at work if they expressed their true feelings, but I never got that impression.

As for trans people, I cannot imagine it being a sin either.

Haha. I understand about the work thing. I have a co-worker that is a fundamentalist and went to ministry school. She has her bible on her as if it will save her life. We were good friends for three years but then she'd say things like "I don't know if you're going to hell" or things that just insult me. Then as I was telling her how I feel about christianity, she took it as an offence as if I offended her. But, yeah, her views about homosexuality is completely off. I mean, I know some people just don't know or understand others are just ignorant and don't want to understand.

It ruins friendships when values are stamped on.

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member

I say it's a disorder because medically it is. We wouldn't get on hormones or have surgery to correct things if something wasn't wrong in the first place. Part of the dysphoria is caused by society, but not all of it. Gender dysphoria is primarily great dis-ease with your physical body. It's knowing that you have the wrong parts and disassociation from your current body. That has nothing to do with society.

I don't see how homosexuality would be more sinful than a transsexual transitioning, assuming they are sins. With homosexuality, all you have to do is not have gay sex. If you're a transsexual and have transitioned, you're kind of screwed since you've meddled with your very body (irreparably in my case). I personally don't see either as a sin, anyway. I started this thread primarily to see how trans people fit into Christianity's theology of male and female.

Last edited:

Shiranui117

Pronounced Shee-ra-noo-ee
Premium Member
I can't speak for others, but that is just something I would not want.
And that I can completely understand. What would it mean for your personality? Your mental state? How you view the world? How would these things carry over into your relationships with friends and family? Far too many questions which, as I said, neuroscience is not yet able to answer.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
I say it's a disorder because medically it is. We wouldn't get on hormones or have surgery to correct things if something wasn't wrong in the first place. Part of the dysphoria is caused by society, but not all of it. Gender dysphoria is primarily great dis-ease with your physical body. It's knowing that you have the wrong parts and disassociation from your current body. That has nothing to do with society.

I don't see how homosexuality would be more sinful than a transsexual transitioning, assuming they are sins. With homosexuality, all you have to do is not have gay sex. If you're a a transsexual and have transitioned, you're kind of screwed since you've meddled with your very bidy. I personally don't see either as a sin, anyway. I started this thread primarily to see how trans people fit into Christianity's theology of male and female.

I guess with dysphoria, seeing it personally as a disorder is like saying I have a disorder because I have always thought I was supposed to have a sixth toe when most people are born with only five. Disorder, to me, sounds like something like Epilepsy, cancer, or chronic depression, etc where one's health is at risk from having the disorder. It's a health risk. I don't know if dysphoria is a health risk but maybe calling it a condition would be more appropriate outside of medical terms. I wouldn't know how a transgender would see it. If I were transgendered, I wouldn't think of myself disordered. At one time homosexuality was considered a disorder. To the Church, it still is. Sexual orientation isn't a health risk anymore than gender identity. However, both cases have our own environmental and internal issues.

There is a lot of mental anguish involved with being homosexual especially during the coming out process before one has settled in their identity and comfortable with their sexuality-their body, who they love, and how they love. Medical books just call it an attraction.

I guess I'm more of a identity person. I can't relate my sexual orientation to a disorder, abnormal, or different. Everyone identifies differently, of course.

As with transgender and religion homosexual-sex is condemned in the bible. The identity of a homosexual as a LGBTQ is not mentioned as an identiity but as a lustful attraction that causes sinful desires. If a homosexual remained chaste, they suffer. It's not just a choice to not have sex. It's everything about the person's body, mind, and spirit. Having sex, getting married, and being in the military are political and moral outside expressions of this. However, there are inner reasons why these things are more important than who ran for office and supported this law.

Transgender, on the other hand, the bible doesn't speak of that. Transitioning, the only reason I can see that as wrong (not a sin-that is an action) is because god made you physically and gender wise a female. But, remember, the interpretation is between you and god. If you know you are a male, then you are a male. God sees your spirit not your genitals.

The only issue is if you transition and cannot have change but still have sex, depending on the religion, that may be wrong. Sin is about actions. Your identity and how you view yourself is different than how you act. Like a homosexual can have heterosexual sex and fundamentalist will be happy about that not understanding that doesn't change the homosexual with a wond.

Anyway, I have strong feelings about this. Not many people understand LGBQ as identities and most people even myself don't understand transgender. Just, in my opinion, unless your health is at risk-say like me having seizures-disorder and disease wouldn't be appropriate words. Maybe in the future they'd have more of an appropriate word to define what you have without calling you "broken" or sick.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
What would it mean for your personality? Your mental state?
It would mean going through with a treatment that would force me to be content with something that has caused me much torment and anguish. The feelings of dysphoria could go away, but not the feeling that I killed myself in all ways except ending my life.

Kelly of the Phoenix

In Christ, supposedly, there is neither male nor female, so the body is really irrelevant.

Traditional Christianity teaches that God made humanity as male and female.
He made a male out of dirt and then after a few tries, had to clone him and slap some boobs on for Adam to be happy. God made man and his trans sister. :)

That is the primal identity for a human being.
Being in the image of God should be the primary identity, not a facet of biological existence irrelevant to said deity.

So if you're a man, you're a man because your soul is male and because your body proclaims you ad such.
But from my understanding, being trans is like having the soul downloaded into the "wrong" body, like installing iOS on a Windows machine. Best to make the hardware more compatible with the software.

So how would such a person fit into Christian anthropology of the sexes? Were they meant to be the sex that is encoded in their chromosomes and it is destroying God's creation to tamper with it?
It's like one's pancreas is supposed to be doing its job but isn't and then saying Christians shouldn't take insulin.

Can a male soul become incarnate in a female body and vice versa?
While my brother and I are cis hetero types, we like to joke that we were brought by that drunk stork from Looney Tunes, as our souls seem to be for the other's body. :)

I do think it's INCREDIBLY irresponsible to encourage prepubescent children with gender dysphoria to physically transition or delay puberty.
I would add that perhaps we shouldn't be encouraging settling on any gender until they're ready and if they decided being nonbinary, that's cool too.

Maybe some transgender people are choosing to identify as the other gender because they have come to associate being a "man" or a "woman" with a set list of expected behaviors, appearances, attitudes and roles in society.
While we are cis heteros, our father hated us because I wanted to help with fixing cars and doing construction-type stuff while my brother wanted fashion and makeup. It left us very confused, but we realize that he was just being a narcissistic chauvinistic pig.

the responsibility of which rests on its shoulders - not yours.
Yes, God owns anything with biological roots.

I guess with dysphoria, seeing it personally as a disorder is like saying I have a disorder because I have always thought I was supposed to have a sixth toe when most people are born with only five.
And having six toes is not a problem (unless it is). It's not how many people were made but it's how YOU were. :)

Jumi

Maybe there's a way to make the brain come into alignment with the body, rather than vice-versa, or at least stop the gender dysphoria without having to feminize or masculinize one's appearance, or undergo sex reassignment surgery
Human personality is incredibly complex. What you suggest sounds like something that would probably damage ones mind permanently if one was past the formative stage. Many religious people are even against genetic manipulation of mitochrondria to save children from horrible sickness in adulthood, why would they find acceptable "mechanical brainwashing" instead? If they believe in non-physical souls, do they believe those can be easily manipulated or would that be something in divine territory humans aren't supposed to go? I find it strange how readily ethical barriers are discarded when it comes to sexuality of other people.

If one wasn't certain of choosing it for their own reasons and not due to societal and family pressures, I'm pretty certain such treatment would be evil and against my beliefs.

Jumi

It would mean going through with a treatment that would force me to be content with something that has caused me much torment and anguish. The feelings of dysphoria could go away, but not the feeling that I killed myself in all ways except ending my life.
And if it was available, you and others who have this, would be pressured into a harakiri of sorts.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Many religious people are even against genetic manipulation of mitochrondria to save children from horrible sickness in adulthood, why would they find acceptable "mechanical brainwashing" instead?
I doubt that many would object to such a treatment. They so readily chop off parts of their male infants without consent (and still too often female infants), so I wouldn't put it past them to demand a "gay/trans away" treatment, without the consent of the individual who has to actually go through with out. (such a treatment would, to me, fall under a sort of body modification, and I don't even agree with parents getting their baby girl's ears pierced over my belief that body modifications--of any sort--should never be performed on someone without consent unless medical needs necessitate them).

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
Necroed thread is necroed.

No, I don't believe it is. That's from the perspective of a practicing Hindu. Any issues Hinduism may seem to have with sexual matters is largely a legacy of the British and Muslim invasions and occupations of India, and the tainting of Hindu thought. Hinduism teaches and holds that these bodies are not our true Selves. These bodies are only vessels and vehicles for our true Selves; we inhabit them for our spiritual journeys from life to life. We take the bodies we inhabit for any number of reasons we don't understand. But I dare say none are "sinful".