• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

is this the correct way to be religious person? Pl'se advise

SG2009

Lately i have come acrossed colleagues/friends who used religion like politics to farthur their individual agenda or interest, is this the correct way to be religious? Please advise

BucephalusBB

ABACABB
Lately i have come acrossed colleagues/friends who used religion like politics to farthur their individual agenda or interest, is this the correct way to be religious? Please advise
If they stay within all rules of their religion.. Then yes..

rusra02

Premium Member

Can you be more specific? How do they use religion to further their own agendas and interests?

Dunemeister

Any religion worth anything has political implications. So followers of worthwhile religions tend to take political positions. It doesn't mean they directly participate in politics, though.

Kathryn

It was on fire when I laid down on it.
Belief systems (religious or otherwise) by their very nature directly influence our actions, opinions and personal goals. If they don't -they aren't much of a belief system.

SG2009

Ok friends, but did Jesue or the other prophets in the holy book use the Word to God to farthur their interests? If so, would you called them Politican Prophets too? thanks

Quagmire

Imaginary talking monkey
Staff member
Premium Member
Ok friends, but did Jesue or the other prophets in the holy book use the Word to God to farthur their interests? If so, would you called them Politican Prophets too? thanks

Some of the prophets were statesmen too. The difference as I see it, is that (according to the Bible) they used their political positions to further their religious agenda rather than the other way around.

IMO, using religion to further any personal agenda is wrong. As I understand it the idea is to let God (via your religion) use you, not the other way around.

SG2009

Some of the prophets were statesmen too. The difference as I see it, is that (according to the Bible) they used their political positions to further their religious agenda rather than the other way around.

IMO, using religion to further any personal agenda is wrong. As I understand it the idea is to let God (via your religion) use you, not the other way around.

Ok, so some of them prophets were Religious Politicians or Soliders of the Lord, right? In that case then Religion and Politics really ain;t inseparable from each other but it is rather how Ethically or Morally it were put to use to farthur those Individual or Collective interests, right? I think I should start using Religion to farthur my Interest or our interests and let God be Judge....what do you think?

Quagmire

Imaginary talking monkey
Staff member
Premium Member
Ok, so some of them prophets were Religious Politicians or Soliders of the Lord, right?

Religious politicians for sure. Not sure what you mean by "Soldiers of the Lord" though. I'm pretty sure the Salvation Army wasn't around in Isaiah's time.

In that case then Religion and Politics really ain;t inseparable from each other but it is rather how Ethically or Morally it were put to use to farthur those Individual or Collective interests, right?

I'm not sure what "it" is supposed to represent in this case.

I think I should start using Religion to farthur my Interest or our interests and let God be Judge....what do you think?

I think you completely missed the point of my post.

SG2009

You're not sure of this and that,,,and yet you think i missed a point, huh? lol I think someone nneeds to go back to the drawing board. lol

Quagmire

Imaginary talking monkey
Staff member
Premium Member
You're not sure of this and that,,,and yet you think i missed the point, huh? lol I think someone nneeds to go back to the drawing board. lol

Are you here to discuss something? Or is this part of your therapy?

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
It depends, really. If you use a church or mosque or what have you as the nucleus of your social network, then perhaps. I suppose it depends on how you intend this. So, how do you mean the statement above?

SG2009

It depends, really. If you use a church or mosque or what have you as the nucleus of your social network, then perhaps. I suppose it depends on how you intend this. So, how do you mean the statement above?

I agree that it "depends" but if you elaborate more further maybe i could pitch in more points...

What’s the difference between a consultant, a lawyer and a theologian? Answer: a consultant borrows your watch and tells you the time. A lawyer borrows your watch, tells you the time, and keeps the watch as part payment of the fee. A theologian tells you the time, and suggests you adjust your watch. .

I love that! I'm seventy five years old and had never heard it. Did you originate the remark?

Muffled

Jesus in me

An individual's agenda may or may not co-incide with the will of God. Anyone promoting an agenda outside of the will of God are not being religious correctly.

PS: Unless you know God's will, don't assume that the person is automatically out of it just because it isn't what you would expect.

However here is a verse that may be helpful in general: Phil. 2:2 make full my joy, that ye be of the same mind, having the same love, being of one accord, of one mind; 3 doing nothing through faction or through vainglory, but in lowliness of mind each counting other better than himself; 4 not looking each of you to his own things, but each of you also to the things of others.

jtartar

SG2009,
Jesus said that everyone would know his disciples by the love they would have, John 13:34,35. These other idiosyncracies are just the opposite of LOVE.
Love is so important to a Christian that we are to be ready to give our life for our brothers, 1John 3:16.
Love is so important that Jesus said that love fulfills the whole law, Rom 13:8-10, Matt 22:37-40. Consider 1Cor 13:1-13, where it mentions all the good in love, just the opposite of the things you mentioned. Many of the things mentioned in 1Cor would cease, but love would always continue.

Brother2

SG2009,
Jesus said that everyone would know his disciples by the love they would have, John 13:34,35. These other idiosyncracies are just the opposite of LOVE.
Love is so important to a Christian that we are to be ready to give our life for our brothers, 1John 3:16.
Love is so important that Jesus said that love fulfills the whole law, Rom 13:8-10, Matt 22:37-40. Consider 1Cor 13:1-13, where it mentions all the good in love, just the opposite of the things you mentioned. Many of the things mentioned in 1Cor would cease, but love would always continue.

Wow, awesome! God is love.

The Ten commandments is indeed love to God and love to man. And God even promises help to obey them for those who ask.

Shalom. May god bless all here. brother2. ;)