• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is this racial profiling?

Copernicus

Industrial Strength Linguist
It's My Birthday!
quite true. call me old fashion then because i will not walk with my pants half down.
Eselam, get with the program. You must wear gangsta clothes on the street in order to prove that you are a modern person. Obviously, that is what all of us have been trying to tell you. :)

Last edited:

dust1n

Zindīq
I don't think the bill itself is guilty of profiling race, simply because the habit has been adapted by kids in general and this is widely known. But in Montgomery, AL, a bill like that would most certainly disenfranchise black males more so than white males. Or males in general over women, for sure.

A bill like that can't pass. Like, it's not even possible to do something that stupid anymore.

Obviously the guy has difficulty diverting his eyes from exposed bottoms.

waitasec

Veteran Member
I don't think the bill itself is guilty of profiling race, simply because the habit has been adapted by kids in general and this is widely known. But in Montgomery, AL, a bill like that would most certainly disenfranchise black males more so than white males. Or males in general over women, for sure.

A bill like that can't pass. Like, it's not even possible to do something that stupid anymore.

Obviously the guy has difficulty diverting his eyes from exposed bottoms.

it's as ridiculous as passing a bill that says you can't wear green on st patty's day...

dust1n

Zindīq
it's as ridiculous as passing a bill that says you can't wear green on st patty's day...

Probably more so. And people who support these sort of bills because what they think other people do is disgusting are delusionally sad... Just because you think someone should do something, doesn't mean you now have the entitlement to outlaw that something. I can't tell who are the bigger whiners, these fashionistas or the guy who wants to outlaw saggy pant.

Charity

Let's go racing boys !
Some people like to show their "Rear ends" by the clothing they wear, others by creating a verbal attack on something that really doesn't matter anyway.
:D

waitasec

Veteran Member
Probably more so. And people who support these sort of bills because what they think other people do is disgusting are delusionally sad... Just because you think someone should do something, doesn't mean you now have the entitlement to outlaw that something. I can't tell who are the bigger whiners, these fashionistas or the guy who wants to outlaw saggy pant.

in the end natural selection will always win...
;)

SageTree

Spiritual Friend
Premium Member
Cultural profiling.

Could so several ways with the 'culture', this is what I wrote what I did about using this as a way to stop and interrogate people of certain persuations and see if they can't find more, kind of like a 'You touched the line a few times' kind stop and you know.... asking a few more questions.....

Where would you go with the culture in your usage?

:namaste
SageTree

Falvlun

Earthbending Lemur
Premium Member
Back in my college days, the local club adopted a no-baggy pants dress code, among other fashions, like sideways caps, jerseys, bandannas, etc. There was an immediate outcry that this was racial discrimination, since black guys were more likely to wear those fashions than white guys.

Wayside Dress Code

This article claims that discrimination was going on between equally soggy pants depending on who was wearing 'em, but iirc, the outcry on campus was that the dress code itself was inherently racist.

I could see how that could be used as a sneaky way to discriminate against a particular group of people. Even if people from other groups also wear that style, if the style is predominately worn by a particular group of people, the rule would disproportionately effect them.

This was back in 2005, though, so by now, perhaps, the style is just as likely to be worn by any group.

Poisonshady313

I could see how that could be used as a sneaky way to discriminate against a particular group of people. Even if people from other groups also wear that style, if the style is predominately worn by a particular group of people, the rule would disproportionately effect them.

There has got to be a limit to how that sort of reasoning is used. This isn't a civil rights issue... we're talking about saggy pants.

When rules like this disproportionally affect certain groups, those groups need to just suck it up and follow the rules. They can whine about it, but claims of discrimination in matters like these ought not to be taken seriously.

Vile Atheist

Loud and Obnoxious
There has got to be a limit to how that sort of reasoning is used. This isn't a civil rights issue... we're talking about saggy pants.

When rules like this disproportionally affect certain groups, those groups need to just suck it up and follow the rules. They can whine about it, but claims of discrimination in matters like these ought not to be taken seriously.

I disagree. I think it is a human rights issue. Human rights issues don't have to be genocides. If we live in a free and democratic society and our manner of dress does not hinder or violate the rights of others, does not pose a threat to the public, or any other excuse, it's entirely reasonable to expect to dress however you please without government interference.

The government telling you how you can and can't dress is unacceptable when that dress affects people no further than making some wince uncomfortably from time to time. I'm not in favour of baggy pants, but I'll defend to the death the people's right to wear them.

Poisonshady313

I disagree. I think it is a human rights issue. Human rights issues don't have to be genocides. If we live in a free and democratic society and our manner of dress does not hinder or violate the rights of others, does not pose a threat to the public, or any other excuse, it's entirely reasonable to expect to dress however you please without government interference.

The government telling you how you can and can't dress is unacceptable when that dress affects people no further than making some wince uncomfortably from time to time. I'm not in favour of baggy pants, but I'll defend to the death the people's right to wear them.
Fine. I'll go along with all of that.

But I do maintain that it's ridiculous to suggest that laws against saggy pants have any sort of racial, ethnic, or cultural significance.