• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is this joke offensive (to Christians)?

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
Jesus was a trickster type, imo. Being a trickster can be dangerous, as evidenced by what happened to Jesus. Your mileage may vary.

Ha! Interesting take, but I had in mind more the Raven or Coyote types in some Native American folklore.

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
Mel Gibson has a history of making anti-Semitic remarks. Shapiro is a Jew.
Personally I think he is taking a jab at Gibson.

Not really that funny. i.e. immature joke.

I can't see how it's offensive towards Jesus, unless people think ANY humour involving Jesus is off limits. I'm sure some do, but otherwise it seems a fairly innocuous play in words.

Crossed can mean angry (as some have said) but I read it more as 'double-crossed' in this context.

I never quite get the Jewish/Christian thing, given that Jesus was a Jew, but I would imagine Shapiro and Gibson would not see eye to eye on religion. Might be an edge here I'm missing.

crossfire

LHP Mercuræn Feminist Heretic Bully ☿
Premium Member
An English word play, double meaning...
1. Jesus won’t be put on the cross again.
...and in English to cross someone means to make them angry..
so 2. Don’t **** off Jesus again, or there will be big trouble. :rolleyes:
There is also a backhanded reference to Mel Gibson's notorious temper and tendency towards anger to consider.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
Ben Shapiro has tweeted this today.

View attachment 43098

I don't think it is offensive. I am sure our Lord Jesus laughed at it. But some Christians and some American Conservatives I follow, felt offended. Why?
If it causes offense, then it's offensive, but I see Mel Gibson - or maybe the studio - as the target of the joke.

The idea of a sequel to The Passion of the Christ reminds me of that Monty Python sketch where Michaelangelo wants to paint the Last Supper with 29 disciples, a kangaroo, a mariachi band, and 3 Christs.

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
If it causes offense, then it's offensive, but I see Mel Gibson - or maybe the studio - as the target of the joke.

The idea of a sequel to The Passion of the Christ reminds me of that Monty Python sketch where Michaelangelo wants to paint the Last Supper with 29 disciples, a kangaroo, a mariachi band, and 3 Christs.
I wonder ... after watching Braveheart...how one can dislike Gibson...
I mean...it is impossible....:p

Last edited:

Muffled

Jesus in me
Not much of a joke any way you cut it. :oops:
1. Shapiro is a joke.
2. Gibson is openly against Jews, and his father is a holocaust denier. So that’s a pathetic joke.
3. Creating a part 2 after the crucifiction, is kinda....meh.:shrug: pointless.
4. The original was cited as being very anti-Semitic due to the graphic quality of the whipping/flailing and killing of Jesus, often used as a way to drum up anti-Jewish fanaticism. (i.e. - “those Jews tortured and killed our lord Jesus! Kill ‘em all!)

Which brings us back around to Shapiro and his followers. A fast-talking huckster spewing whatever irrelevance. Plus his comment “He won’t be crossed again.”:rolleyes:
An English word play, double meaning...
1. Jesus won’t be put on the cross again.
...and in English to cross someone means to make them angry..
so 2. Don’t **** off Jesus again, or there will be big trouble. :rolleyes:

Or maybe someone thinks it is a double cross. - A betrayal.

Ancient Soul

The Spiritual Universe
Ben Shapiro has tweeted this today.

View attachment 43098

I don't think it is offensive. I am sure our Lord Jesus laughed at it. But some Christians and some American Conservatives I follow, felt offended. Why?

Why? You ask?

Because while Christians LOVE to bash and laugh at everyone else's beliefs, they just as much LOVE to play the persecution game when someone says anything against their religion.

Ancient Soul

The Spiritual Universe
Well...I advise people to go on making jokes about Christianity. Exclusively.
It is safer.
:p

Ok then:

What has caused it?
A drunk man who smelled like a beer sat down on a subway seat next to a priest.

The man's tie was stained, his face was smeared with red lipstick, and a half empty bottle of gin was sticking out of his torn coat pocket. He opened his newspaper and began to read. After a few minutes the man turned to the priest and asked 'Say Father, what causes arthritis?' The priest replies 'My son, it's caused by loose living, being with cheap wicked women, too much alcohol and comtempt for your fellow man' 'Well I'll be darned' the drunk muttered, returning to his newspaper.

The priest thinking about what he said, nudged the drunk and apologised. 'I'm sorry to come on so strong. How long have you had arthritis?'

'I don't have it, Father. I was just reading here that the Pope does.'

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
Ok then:

What has caused it?
A drunk man who smelled like a beer sat down on a subway seat next to a priest.

The man's tie was stained, his face was smeared with red lipstick, and a half empty bottle of gin was sticking out of his torn coat pocket. He opened his newspaper and began to read. After a few minutes the man turned to the priest and asked 'Say Father, what causes arthritis?' The priest replies 'My son, it's caused by loose living, being with cheap wicked women, too much alcohol and comtempt for your fellow man' 'Well I'll be darned' the drunk muttered, returning to his newspaper.

The priest thinking about what he said, nudged the drunk and apologised. 'I'm sorry to come on so strong. How long have you had arthritis?'

'I don't have it, Father. I was just reading here that the Pope does.'
Nice. That was too polite.
I know meaner jokes about Francis...in Romanesco dialect.
:p:p:p

Last edited: