• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is this joke offensive (to Christians)?

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
Ben Shapiro has tweeted this today.

A3.jpg

I don't think it is offensive. I am sure our Lord Jesus laughed at it. But some Christians and some American Conservatives I follow, felt offended. Why?

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
If some good Samaritan can explain me the joke, I would be immensely grateful to them.

Maybe I didn't get it.
:):p

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
Some folks take their stories a wee too seriously. Happens to the best of us. Don't get me wrong - mythology is very serious stuff. They are sacred stories that guide and govern a people's way of life. But humor and good spirits needs to be part of that equation too, I think, yeah? One can keep to one's sacred stories while still cracking a smile.

Daemon Sophic

View attachment 43098

I don't think it is offensive. I am sure our Lord Jesus laughed at it. But some Christians and some American Conservatives I follow, felt offended. Why?
Not much of a joke any way you cut it. :oops:
1. Shapiro is a joke.
2. Gibson is openly against Jews, and his father is a holocaust denier. So that’s a pathetic joke.
3. Creating a part 2 after the crucifiction, is kinda....meh.:shrug: pointless.
4. The original was cited as being very anti-Semitic due to the graphic quality of the whipping/flailing and killing of Jesus, often used as a way to drum up anti-Jewish fanaticism. (i.e. - “those Jews tortured and killed our lord Jesus! Kill ‘em all!)

Which brings us back around to Shapiro and his followers. A fast-talking huckster spewing whatever irrelevance. Plus his comment “He won’t be crossed again.”:rolleyes:
An English word play, double meaning...
1. Jesus won’t be put on the cross again.
...and in English to cross someone means to make them angry..
so 2. Don’t **** off Jesus again, or there will be big trouble. :rolleyes:

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
Perhaps a more interesting question would be:

Why should we care if they're offended?

Yes...but in this case he was very respectful...
I think it's a nice joke...I do not understand why in the US politics and religions are so intertwined..
:)

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
An English word play, double meaning...
1. Jesus won’t be put on the cross again.
...and in English to cross someone means to make them angry..
so 2. Don’t **** off Jesus again, or there will be big trouble. :rolleyes:

Thank you, thank you for explaining me the joke...
You are my good Samaritan.

Thank you, thank you...really.:heart:

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
Ok...I get it now...
But it still is a nice joke.
I am still with Ben and I will defend his freedom of speech. Always.:)

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member

View attachment 43098

Mel Gibson has a history of making anti-Semitic remarks. Shapiro is a Jew.
Personally I think he is taking a jab at Gibson.

Not really that funny. i.e. immature joke.

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
I didn't know Gibson's The Passion was considered controversial.
Btw to me it is a nice movie because finally Latin is pronounced correctly. Mostly by Italian actors.
Like in this scene...

Si non vis Veritatem audire...nemo tibi dicere potest.

QuestioningMind

View attachment 43098

I've never understood Christian sensitivities when it comes to humor. I remember back in the late 70's one of the men's magazines at the time printed a cartoon that basically said: Jesus Christ is Returning!... and and boy is he going to be pissed. For SOME reason a very vocal segment of the Christian population was outraged. As I recall they even tried to sue the publication. Which I found absolutely baffling, since isn't that the message Christians have been promoting for ages, that Christ is coming back and he's not going to be very happy about what's going on?

Just Googled it and apparently the saying is now quite popular on T-shirts and coffee mugs.

Last edited:

stvdv

Veteran Member: I Share (not Debate) my POV
Something similar as Muslims who are not supposed to draw a picture of Muhammad.
When such persons expect others to follow their belief, then they will feel offended

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
Something similar as Muslims who are not supposed to draw a picture of Muhammad.
When such persons expect others to follow their belief, then they will feel offended

Well...I advise people to go on making jokes about Christianity. Exclusively.
It is safer.
:p

Last edited: