• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is this Child Sexual Abuse?

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
It's the potential for abuse that bothers me. It takes one whacko to shorten that journey from "odd" to "abusive".
That would also depend on the culture. It is possible that since that is considered the norm, and there isn't a sexual meaning behind it, it may actually reduce the rate of sexual abuse since it isn't considered sexual. But yes at first glance the practice does seem rather strange I'll admit.

Alex_G

Enlightner of the Senses
It is disgusting the way sexual abuse of children is being supported here.

Profound misrepresentation. Why not participate by giving you views on the subject with reason, critical thinking and open mindedness, and enjoy the oppertunity we have here for open and constructive discussions.

Alex

IsmailaGodHasHeard

Profound misrepresentation. Why not participate by giving you views on the subject with reason, critical thinking and open mindedness, and enjoy the oppertunity we have here for open and constructive discussions.

Alex

Okay. Thank you for being nice to me.

Me Myself

Back to my username
I would think that if it is done with the intent of soothing the child, rather than satisfying some underlying sexual need of the adult, I don't see much harm with the practice. It's not like the infant is likely to remember.

Consiously

atanu

Premium Member
It's the potential for abuse that bothers me. It takes one whacko to shorten that journey from "odd" to "abusive".

Potential for abuse exists in many situations. In this case, in OP, that is certainly not the case. Intention is the key. I do not expect a mother to have wrong intention, unless depraved. OTOH, if a child knows it as abuse then the whole complexion changes. Why should a mother (or even father) abuse their own children (if not depraved)?

Dezzie

Was the post I made deleted or am I going nuts? I just wanted to know why it was deleted... if it was...

atanu

Premium Member
Was the post I made deleted or am I going nuts? I just wanted to know why it was deleted... if it was...

we all are special nuts. But if you judge a nut by its ability to climb a tree, it will spend its whole life believing that it is a indeed a nut.:D

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
"What do a child's genitals have to do with sex?"
Ridiculous? -- patently obvious in cultures that don't sexualize children.
Americans find a topless eight year old at the beach shocking, for heaven's sake. Can such a sex saturated society's interpretation of another culture's child rearing practices or sexual norms really be taken seriously?

Is massaging the genitals for sedation really any different from massaging the thenar mound for a headache in a culture where it doesn't occur to anyone, child included, that there are any sexual overtones whatever in such an act? -- in a society where "sexual overtones" or "sexual abuse" are foreign concepts?

I'll go hide now....:run:

Last edited by a moderator:

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
I think a post I made was deleted.

Is massaging the genitals for sedation really any different from massaging the thenar mound for a headache in a culture where it doesn't occur to anyone, child included, that there are any sexual overtones whatever in such an act? -- in a society where "sexual overtones" or "sexual abuse" are foreign concepts?
I think plenty of cultures probably think our practice of giving a child alcohol, even small amounts, to ease tooth aches from teething is a bizarre and bad one.

9Westy9

Sceptic, Libertarian, Egalitarian
Premium Member

Same happened to me. Might be due to the comment you replied to was deleted?

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
The OP didn't just talk about "massage"; it talked about masturbation.

If you're bringing a person to climax by stimulating their genitals, I don't see how this can't be considered sexual.

And just to put this in context: in this culture, if husband found his wife "soothing" her next-door neighbour this way, would the community consider this adulterous?

I have a feeling that even this culture considers mutual masturbation to have "sexual overtones".