• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is this a good translation of Matthew 25:46?

Laohg

"καὶ απελευσονται οὗτοι εἰς κόλασιν αἰώνιον οἱ δὲ δίκαιοι εἰς ζωὴν αἰώνιον(kaí apelef̱sontai oútoi eis kólasis aió̱nios oi dé díkaioi eis zo̱í̱n aió̱nion)" - Matthew 25:46
"καὶ(And) απελευσονται(shall go away) οὗτοι(these/they) εἰς(to) κόλασιν(chastisement) αἰώνιον(lasting the age(s)(/time-span/life-span) thereof) οἱ(-) δὲ(moreover) δίκαιοι(righteous/godly/divine) εἰς(to) ζωὴν(life) αἰώνιον(lasting the age(s)(/time-span/life-span) thereof)" = "They[-unbelievers/ungodly] shall go unto chastisement [that] lasts the time-span thereof; likewise to [the] righteous/godly/divine [shall be given] life [that] lasts the time-span thereof.", meaning, "The unbelievers/ungodly shall go unto chastisement that lasts "forever"(this is because anything that is ungodly's sins will "die" through purified through fire); likewise to [the] righteous/godly/divine [shall be given] life that lasts "forever" (this is because anything that is righteous/godly/divine is God-like in the sense that they cannot truly die)." - Matthew 25:46

Kolibri

"καὶ απελευσονται οὗτοι εἰς κόλασιν αἰώνιον οἱ δὲ δίκαιοι εἰς ζωὴν αἰώνιον(kaí apelef̱sontai oútoi eis kólasis aió̱nios oi dé díkaioi eis zo̱í̱n aió̱nion)" - Matthew 25:46
"
καὶ(And) απελευσονται(shall go away) οὗτοι(these/they) εἰς(to) κόλασιν(chastisement) αἰώνιον(lasting the age(s)(/time-span/life-span) thereof) οἱ(-) δὲ(moreover) δίκαιοι(righteous/godly/divine) εἰς(to) ζωὴν(life) αἰώνιον(lasting the age(s)(/time-span/life-span) thereof)" = "They[-unbelievers/ungodly] shall go unto chastisement [that] lasts the time-span thereof; likewise to [the] righteous/godly/divine [shall be given] life [that] lasts the time-span thereof.", meaning, "The unbelievers/ungodly shall go unto chastisement that lasts "forever"(this is because anything that is ungodly's sins will "die" through purified through fire); likewise to [the] righteous/godly/divine [shall be given] life that lasts "forever" (this is because anything that is righteous/godly/divine is God-like in the sense that they cannot truly die)." - Matthew 25:46

Although most translations use the word “punishment” at Matthew 25:46, the basic meaning of the Greek word koʹla·sin is “checking the growth of trees,” or pruning, cutting off needless branches. So a direct word for word translation of this verse would be:

And / will go off / these / into / lopping off / everlasting, / the / but / righteous ones / into / life / everlasting.

This lopping off reminds us of the Mosaic Law where people who were 'cut off' were put to death.
So this verse is not a contrast of 'everlasting life verses everlasting punishment' but of 'everlasting life verses everlasting death'.
The punishment itself is momentary; the sleep it induces is everlasting.

Unlike the other 3 illustrations, the faithful slave (Mt 24:45-51), the 10 virgins (Mt 25:1-13), and the talents (Mt 25:14-30), this illustration of the sheep and the goats (Mt 25:31-46) does not directly involve Christ's 'little flock'. By the time this event takes place, all those going to heaven will already have been 'sealed' for life.

"Do not harm the earth and the sea or the trees, until after we have sealed the slaves of our God in their foreheads." (Re 7:3)

Since these ones would already been separated out prior to Jesus coming for judgement, they are not the sheep in this particular illustration but are symbolized by "the King's brothers." (Mt 25:40)
If we are found to be sheep at this point of time we will be the "great crowd" that physically survive the "great tribulation" just as Noah survived the deluge in his day. (Re 7:9,10,13-17)
If we are found to be goats, well we will simply cease existing.

Last edited:

Laohg

Although most translations use the word “punishment” at Matthew 25:46, the basic meaning of the Greek word koʹla·sin is “checking the growth of trees,” or pruning, cutting off needless branches. So a direct word for word translation of this verse would be:

And / will go off / these / into / lopping off / everlasting, / the / but / righteous ones / into / life / everlasting.

This lopping off reminds us of the Mosaic Law where people who were 'cut off' were put to death.
So this verse is not a contrast of 'everlasting life verses everlasting punishment' but of 'everlasting life verses everlasting death'.
The punishment itself is momentary; the sleep it induces is everlasting.

Unlike the other 3 illustrations, the faithful slave (Mt 24:45-51), the 10 virgins (Mt 25:1-13), and the talents (Mt 25:14-30), this illustration of the sheep and the goats (Mt 25:31-46) does not directly involve Christ's 'little flock'. By the time this event takes place, all those going to heaven will already have been 'sealed' for life.

"Do not harm the earth and the sea or the trees, until after we have sealed the slaves of our God in their foreheads." (Re 7:3)

Since these ones would already been separated out prior to Jesus coming for judgement, they are not the sheep in this particular illustration but are symbolized by "the King's brothers." (Mt 25:40)
If we are found to be sheep at this point of time we will be the "great crowd" that physically survive the "great tribulation" just as Noah survived the deluge in his day. (Re 7:9,10,13-17)
If we are found to be goats, well we will simply cease existing.
everlasting punishment in Greak is timorian aidios.

Kolibri

This is only the word 'lop', not 'lopping off'.
- Greek-English translation :: κλαδεύω :: Dictionary

κλαδεύω

I do not read Greek directly, but visually it does look similar to

κόλασιν

Perhaps someone who reads Greek directly can chime in?
This same verb is used at 1 John 4:18 where 'fear restrains us'.

"There is no fear in love, but perfect love casts (or "drives.") fear out, because fear restrains us. Indeed, the one who is fearful has not been made perfect in love."
- 1 John 4:18

Kolibri

Either way, Hell is a place where there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth in severe pain.

"weeping and gnashing of ... teeth" is used in the Bible 7 times. All by Jesus, and all but one time in the book of Matthew. (Matthew 8:12;13:42,50;22:13;24:51;25:30) The exception is at Luke 13:28. A review of this expression will help us understand when the weeping and gnashing occurs - before or after the death sentence is carried out.

But before that what does 'gnashing of teeth' mean? Other bible references show that it denotes anger being expressed towards those hated.

His anger has torn me to pieces, and he harbors animosity against me.
He grinds this teeth against me.
My adversary pierces me with his eyes.
- Job 16:9

"Well, at hearing these things, they were infuriated (or "they felt cut.") in their hearts and began to grind their teeth at [Stephen]."
- Acts 7:54

To understand when the "gnashing" occurs lets look to the Psalms that Jesus was likely referencing.

The wicked one will see and be upset.
He will grind his teeth and melt away.
The desires of the wicked will perish.
- Psalm 112:10

Note please how the grinding or gnashing is momentary. Afterwards his desires, including those fueled by animosity, perish.
The weeping and the gnashing of the teeth then has to do with their final moments before destruction, not what happens after they are destroyed.

Last edited:
"weeping and gnashing of ... teeth" is used in the Bible 7 times. All by Jesus, and all but one time in the book of Matthew. (Matthew 8:12;13:42,50;22:13;24:51;25:30) The exception is at Luke 13:28. A review of this expression will help us understand when the weeping and gnashing occurs - before or after the death sentence is carried out.

But before that what does 'gnashing of teeth' mean? Other bible references show that it denotes anger being expressed towards those hated.

"Well, at hearing these things, they were infuriated (or "they felt cut.") in their hearts and began to grind their teeth at [Stephen]."

To understand when the "gnashing" occurs lets look to the Psalms that Jesus was likely referencing.

Note please how the grinding or gnashing is momentary. Afterwards his desires, including animosity, perishes.
The weeping and the gnashing of the teeth then has to do with their final moments before destruction, not what happens after they were destroyed.

Th

Note please how the grinding or gnashing is momentary. Afterwards his desires, including animosity, perishes.
The weeping and the gnashing of the teeth then has to do with their final moments before destruction, not what happens after they were destroyed.

The point is, the eternal lake of fire is real, and the gnashing of teeth is very bad.

Kolibri

The point is, the eternal lake of fire is real, and the gnashing of teeth is very bad.

The lake is a symbol of eternal death.

"And death and the Grave, (or "Hades," that is, the common grave of mankind.) were hurled into the lake of fire. This means the second death, the lake of fire."
- Revelation 20:14

To know what is the condition of those dead, we only need to note how Jesus said that the dead Lazarus was sleeping.
The lake of fire then is a symbol of a sleep that people and things are jailed into for all eternity.
Any emotional torment comes prior to the moment of death when they realize their assured destruction.

"for look the days are coming when people will say, 'Happy are the barren women, the wombs that did not give birth and the breasts that did not nurse!' Then they will start saying to the mountains, 'Fall over us!' and to the hills, 'Cover us over!'"
- Luke 23:29,30

"Then the kings of the earth, the high officials, the military commanders, the rich, the strong, every slave, and every free person hid in the caves and among the rocks of the mountains. And they keep saying to the mountains and to the rocks: 'Fall over us and hide us from the face of the One seated on the throne and from the wrath of the Lamb, because the great day of their wrath has come, and who is able to stand?'"
- Revelation 6:15-17

Last edited:
The lake is a symbol of eternal death.

"And death and the Grave, (or "Hades," that is, the common grave of mankind.) were hurled into the lake of fire. This means the second death, the lake of fire."
- Revelation 20:14

To know what is the condition of those dead, we only need to note how Jesus said that the dead Lazarus was sleeping.
The lake of fire then is a symbol of a sleep that people and things are jailed into for all eternity.
Any emotional torment comes prior to the moment of death when they realize their assured destruction.

"for look the days are coming when people will say, 'Happy are the barren women, the wombs that did not give birth and the breasts that did not nurse!' Then they will start saying to the mountains, 'Fall over us!' and to the hills, 'Cover us over!'"
- Luke 23:29,30

"Then the kings of the earth, the high officials, the military commanders, the rich, the strong, every slave, and every free person hid in the caves and among the rocks of the mountains. And they keep saying to the mountains and to the rocks: 'Fall over us and hide us from the face of the One seated on the throne and from the wrath of the Lamb, because the great day of their wrath has come, and who is able to stand?'"
- Revelation 6:15-17

People in the graves don't weep and gnash their teeth in anger and pain.

Kolibri

People in the graves don't weep and gnash their teeth in anger and pain.

That is why the mental and emotional anguish has to happen before they die yet after they realize the predicament they are in.

the KJV has an interesting take on Re 20:14

"And death and hell were cast into the lake of fire. This is the second death."

if the lake of fire were hell, then how could it be thrown into itself?

Rather it is emptied (vs 13) and then pitched into a state of permanent non-existence.

That is why the mental and emotional anguish has to happen before they die yet after they realize the predicament they are in.

the KJV has an interesting take on Re 20:14

"And death and hell were cast into the lake of fire. This is the second death."

if the lake of fire were hell, then how could it be thrown into itself?

Rather it is emptied (vs 13) and then pitched into a state of permanent non-existence.

Your watch tower prophet has with dates prophesied falsely, the makes the Watch tower a false prophet.

Deu 18:20 But the prophet who presumes to speak a word in my name that I have not commanded him to speak, or who speaks in the name of other gods, that same prophet shall die.'
Deu 18:21 And if you say in your heart, 'How may we know the word that the LORD has not spoken?'—
Deu 18:22 when a prophet speaks in the name of the LORD, if the word does not come to pass or come true, that is a word that the LORD has not spoken; the prophet has spoken it presumptuously. You need not be afraid of him.

JayJayDee

Avid JW Bible Student
Your watch tower prophet has with dates prophesied falsely, the makes the Watch tower a false prophet.

Deu 18:20 But the prophet who presumes to speak a word in my name that I have not commanded him to speak, or who speaks in the name of other gods, that same prophet shall die.'
Deu 18:21 And if you say in your heart, 'How may we know the word that the LORD has not spoken?'—
Deu 18:22 when a prophet speaks in the name of the LORD, if the word does not come to pass or come true, that is a word that the LORD has not spoken; the prophet has spoken it presumptuously. You need not be afraid of him.

JW's do not have prophets....never have claimed to be.

This is not a JW bashing thread....please keep your comments to the OP.

If you want to bash JW's go back over all the threads that have done it to death...you're a bit late. :rolleyes:

JW's do not have prophets....never have claimed to be.

This is not a JW bashing thread....please keep your comments to the OP.

If you want to bash JW's go back over all the threads that have done it to death...you're a bit late. :rolleyes:

I'm trying to show you love, but because you were not able to dispute or disprove the false prophecies, we will take them as true, and your hatred towards me proves you are unrepentant and don't care about truth.

PS: I have five more false prophecies from your Watch Tower to post.

JayJayDee

Avid JW Bible Student
I'm trying to show you love, but because you were not able to dispute or disprove the false prophecies, we will take them as true, and your hatred towards me proves you are unrepentant and don't care about truth.

PS: I have five more false prophecies from your Watch Tower to post.

Wow! What a champion! But its all been done to death....you're too late. The battle field is empty...everyone has gone home due to lack of interest.

Sorry to rain on your "love" parade.

I think we know a vendetta when we see one. It's old.

Wow! What a champion! But its all been done to death....you're too late. The battle field is empty...everyone has gone home due to lack of interest.

You haven't answered anything, so why should I listen to you!

You have not answered anything, I am new to this forum, please enlighten me if you can. Are the prophecies true or false?

Because they are false you need to examine yourself to see if you are of the faith, your eternal destiny depends on it.

JayJayDee

Avid JW Bible Student
You have not answered anything, I am new to this forum, please enlighten me if you can. Are the prophecies true or false?

Because they are false you need to examine yourself to see if you are of the faith, your eternal destiny depends on it.

You see what you just said? You just eliminated any grounds for discussion. You asked the question, then assume that you already know the answer. What is there to discuss?

It is obvious that you are new to these forums. Please take the time to read over the various threads and enlighten yourself as to what has been discussed ad nauseum countless times before.

It is your opinion that they are prophesies and that they are false.....so who are you? And what makes your opinion any more valid than ours? Last I heard, all are free to make up their own minds about things. I don't see anyone standing over you with a big stick making you accept anything we say.

Don't just come in here swinging your axe and expect productive dialogue. OK? This site is about "discussion", not assassination.

Rehashing the same tired old "copy and pastes" from anti-JW sites is a boring waste of time and energy. If you really want answers, don't take the lazy way out.

Smart_Guy

Premium Member

Hello there!

Perhaps you meant "Because if they are false" ?

I'm asking because typo do happen.

And welcome to RF.