• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is There Any Cause For Impinging on Someones Reproductive Rights?

LegionOnomaMoi

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I think breeding licenses would be a swell idea.
"You know, Mrs. Buckman, you need a license to buy a dog, to drive a car - hell, you even need a license to catch a fish. But they'll let any butt-reaming ******* be a father."

~ Keanu Reeves as Tod Higgins in Parenthood (1989)

Kathryn

It was on fire when I laid down on it.
No no, it's "FUNNY girl"
Tax incentives for having children don't come close to making up the cost of raising children. Without the incentives the cost is merely higher. Poor people, whose children's care is paid for through public funding in some shape or fashion - health insurance, child care, food, and so on - typically do not pay taxes and therefore tax incentives do not benefit them. Anything that would result in a refund on taxes, would result in paying them.

I'm for education, but good luck getting the Catholics and the more stodgy protestants behind you.

Hold up - poor people who pay little or no taxes DO benefit from tax incentives - they get a "rebate" on taxes that they haven't even paid IN!

You know that, right? Am I misunderstanding what you wrote?

Drolefille

PolyPanGeekGirl
Hold up - poor people who pay little or no taxes DO benefit from tax incentives - they get a "rebate" on taxes that they haven't even paid IN!

You know that, right? Am I misunderstanding what you wrote?

I was unclear but my next line addresses that any sort of tax rebate reverts to paying individuals for sterilization which I'm opposed to. Some tax incentives result in rebates others don't.

Kathryn

I was unclear but my next line addresses that any sort of tax rebate reverts to paying individuals for sterilization which I'm opposed to. Some tax incentives result in rebates others don't.

LOL was this supposed to clarify your position? Sorry, not following you at all - but it may be because I haven't had my two cups of coffee yet.

Drolefille

PolyPanGeekGirl
LOL was this supposed to clarify your position? Sorry, not following you at all - but it may be because I haven't had my two cups of coffee yet.

*sigh*
Poor people get no benefit from a tax credit that is not added to a refund. If it cannot be added to the check, it will not help them.

If it is added to a refund check, then we're back to paying people for sterilization which I've already expressed that I find unacceptable.

One way ineffective, the other bad.

Kathryn

*sigh*
Poor people get no benefit from a tax credit that is not added to a refund. If it cannot be added to the check, it will not help them.

If it is added to a refund check, then we're back to paying people for sterilization which I've already expressed that I find unacceptable.

One way ineffective, the other bad.

Tax credits allow you a deduction from your gross income. The more deductions, the fewer tax dollars you send in. If your net income is low enough, you get a tax "refund," even if you didn't pay in as much in taxes as you get refunded.

It's pretty simple math.

As for paying people to be sterilized, if you want to look at a tax credit for voluntary sterilization that way (though there is no such thing), I don't see a difference between that and a tax credit for each child. As jacked up as our tax system is, I'm sure the government would not even see the irony in that.

Drolefille

PolyPanGeekGirl
Tax credits allow you a deduction from your gross income. The more deductions, the fewer tax dollars you send in. If your net income is low enough, you get a tax "refund," even if you didn't pay in as much in taxes as you get refunded.

It's pretty simple math.

As for paying people to be sterilized, if you want to look at a tax credit for voluntary sterilization that way (though there is no such thing), I don't see a difference between that and a tax credit for each child. As jacked up as our tax system is, I'm sure the government would not even see the irony in that.

Again, to my knowledge some tax credits can be refunded, not all. Some only really benefit you if you're paying taxes. Please tell me if that is wrong. Ultimately this doesn'mt matter because of my ultimate stance.

Regardless i'm against paying for sterilization due to the historical targeting of the poor for eugenics programs. It's the same problem as paying for organs. It will disproportionately affect more vulnerable populations.

Kathryn

Again, to my knowledge some tax credits can be refunded, not all. Some only really benefit you if you're paying taxes. Please tell me if that is wrong. Ultimately this doesn'mt matter because of my ultimate stance.

Regardless i'm against paying for sterilization due to the historical targeting of the poor for eugenics programs. It's the same problem as paying for organs. It will disproportionately affect more vulnerable populations.

Tax credits reduce your amount of reported income, which will increase your refund, if you are going to get one. That's all a tax credit really does.

I must have missed this though - is anyone saying or proposing that there be a tax credit for sterilization?

I think tax credits for both sterilization AND kids are stupid. But I think that our tax law is ridiculous itself. Far too complicated and full of capricious rewards and politically charged shelters and credits.

Drolefille

PolyPanGeekGirl
Tax credits reduce your amount of reported income, which will increase your refund, if you are going to get one. That's all a tax credit really does.
Again you're missing what I'm trying to say but it doesn't really matter because either way I disagree with the idea.

I must have missed this though - is anyone saying or proposing that there be a tax credit for sterilization?
Yes.

Kathryn

Again you're missing what I'm trying to say but it doesn't really matter because either way I disagree with the idea.

Yes.

I certainly am missing what you're saying about tax credits and refunds. For the life of me I can't follow it. I am not aware of any tax credit which is directly paid as a refund regardless of net income, or that wouldn't result in a refund if the net income qualified the tax payer for a refund. Can you give an example?

Drolefille

PolyPanGeekGirl
I certainly am missing what you're saying about tax credits and refunds. For the life of me I can't follow it. I am not aware of any tax credit which is directly paid as a refund regardless of net income, or that wouldn't result in a refund if the net income qualified the tax payer for a refund. Can you give an example?
It is irrelevant and this really isn't a thread about taxes. You haven't read the rest of the thread as you didn't read the post I was responding to, so I'm not really interested.

Kathryn

It is irrelevant and this really isn't a thread about taxes. You haven't read the rest of the thread as you didn't read the post I was responding to, so I'm not really interested.

Good - me either. And you're right, this thread was originally started in 2009 and I did indeed lose interest in it sometime within the past three years!