• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is the word F*CK, the most important word in the English language ?

While I try not to play favourites, I am inordinately taken with sprocket, I had no idea there was going to be a full out word off though.

Gharib

I want Khilafah back
it is the most important word to australians. it is sickening to have people say it everytime they open their mouth for just about anything.

We are quite fond of it's versatile punctuations here as well ;)

Here's a thought, why is it not such a big thing to say, that doing something we find boring is torture, that a meal was horrendous, that we could murder a cuppa, that a team were diabolical, that *florida this time of year is like hell on earth, but **** which is essentially a word used to describe an expression of, at worst pleasure and at best love, is completely taboo.

Not hating on *florida, watching CSI miami and it came to mind :)

Panda

42?
Premium Member
Reminds me of this from Stephen Fry. Be warned contains swearing
[youtube]s_osQvkeNRM[/youtube]

Reminds me of this from Stephen Fry. Be warned contains swearing
[youtube]s_osQvkeNRM[/youtube]

I was largely ripping him off, if I could find a transcript of the interview I would quote him, though, because he says everything better than everyone else. :)

MSizer

MSizer
Swearing has been proven to mitigate physical pain. Experiments have been done where people were willingly subjected to controlled pain, and some were permitted to swear, while others were not. The neurotransactions associated with sensing pain dropped in those who were permitted to swear just at the point when they actually did swear.

Also, there have been cases where people have had damage to the Broca's area of the brain, so they loose the ability to speak, but they can still swear as much as they want. They understand people speaking to them, and they can converse by writing back, but the only words they can utter are swear words.

Swearing had an evolutionary advantage and that's why it's so prevalent. We are wired up through evolution to have potty mouths. It's actually unnatural to refrain from cursing all of the time. Oh, and if you curse too often, the pain mitigation effect is lost. It only works if you swear when you need it the most.

Beyondo

Frackin eh its the most important word in Battle Star Galactica! But I'm found of it too, its difference between rough sex, pounding that ***, and regular old fashion sex that's used only for reproduction.