• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is the term "homophobe" subjective?

psychedelicsoul

No. Eating pork is a choice and religious mandate. It doesn't involve the way people are. You really need to improve your debate skills and give valid comparisons.

sodomy is a choice too... where's the difference. Why is not supporting sodomy make you a bigot, but not supporting pork doesn't.

Many of them will.

That's them.. it doesn't mean they're bigots if they don't.

That is their right. But it doesn't cover up the fact they kicked them out just for being homosexual.

Most churches will kick you out for practicing sodomy. Not for being gay in general. Gay sex is a sin biblically.

Many of them try very hard to do so via legislation.

And gays are doing that too.

We actually agree on something. But the difference is that I view this as something that equally applies to all, and not something you can pick and choose.

Personally, I don't care. I think it's up to the owner of the business to decide. However, gay people aren't being denied service simply for being gay. A gay wedding is a ceremony. It's not the same as denying the person.

If it's not backed by a medical organization, if the therapist doesn't have an accredited background, then it cannot be provided as therapy.

It's not "psychotherapy"
Auditing is legal, even though it's not real therapy.
Plus, as long as it's marketed as something spiritual rather than medical, it shouldn't be a big deal. It's legal to get a tarot card read.

But more importantly, why care? Are you in conversion therapy? If not, it's none of your busienss.

People do not choose to be homosexual. Mega huge difference.

They choose to get in gay relationships.
Homosexuals don't face discrimination on the basis of sexual orientation.

No it's not. Technically yes, but they shouldn't have to forfeit a romantic relationship because some people think it's icky. Because we are psychologically equipped to be attracted to others and find a fulfilling romantic relationship, it isn't a choice.

Nobody is trying to stop them. They just don't wanna cater to their ceremony. Nobody is making them forfeit anything by not baking a ****ing cake.
And yes, your actions are a choice.

The public doesn't target, beat, and even kill people just for smoking pot.

Not in America... but please.. Don't exaggerate the problem of homophobia, sure there's some isolated instances, but it's not a common occurance.

Draka

Wonder Woman
I'm single. So I'm not living the straight lifestyle. I'm single.

I don't think you can really discriminate against a persons sexual orientation. It'd be either their lifestyle or behavior. I'm not living a "straight" lifestyle. Because I'm single right now.
Being gay is not a choice... Being a sodomite is. It's really simple. Your sexual orientation isn't the same as your lifestyle.
So, do you feel you could equally "choose" to live a "gay lifestyle" as a "straight lifestyle"? Are you bisexual? Do you feel everyone is bisexual and just "choose" to be in a straight relationship or be "a sodomite"?

Do you completely not believe in love at all? In faithfulness or commitment or monogamy? Is that the issue? I just can't figure out how anyone believes anything about falling in love and who someone falls in love with is a choice.

BTW, you still haven't addressed my earlier points. And if this was an attempt it was greatly lacking because one certainly can discriminate against gays and it is done all the time.

psychedelicsoul

So, do you feel you could equally "choose" to live a "gay lifestyle" as a "straight lifestyle"? Are you bisexual? Do you feel everyone is bisexual and just "choose" to be in a straight relationship or be "a sodomite"?.

Technically you can... but you just wouldn't want to.
However, the world doesn't have to know your sexuality or relationships.
I'm straight and if I dated a girl and a gay person decided not to bake a wedding cake because of their religion I wouldn't care.

Whether or not being gay is a choice is irrelevant.

Do you completely not believe in love at all? In faithfulness or commitment or monogamy? Is that the issue? I just can't figure out how anyone believes anything about falling in love and who someone falls in love with is a choice.

I didn't say it was a choice. ****ing or being with someone is a choice. Dating is a choice.
Being gay or falling in love isn't. But I don't give a crap however.

BTW, you still haven't addressed my earlier points. And if this was an attempt it was greatly lacking because one certainly can discriminate against gays and it is done all the time.

Which were those?

McBell

mantra-chanting henotheistic snake handler
They're the only lifestyle that gets protection from the government from discrimination besides religion.
And I don't think religion should be protected either.
Until you prove your "gay is chosen" premise, anything you present based upon it is null and void.

What "protection"?
I am asking for specific examples.
That you are unable to present any is rather damaging to your claim.

psychedelicsoul

Until you prove your "gay is chosen" premise, anything you present based upon it is null and void.

What "protection"?
I am asking for specific examples.
That you are unable to present any is rather damaging to your claim.

Are gay people born married? No...
I never said being gay is a choice. However, the rel

The "protection" I'm talking about is private sector discrimination laws. I don't think religion or sexual orientation should be protected. Gay people may not choose how they feel but they can choose what they do.
However, while I prefer a state like Virginia which only offers discrimination protections to LGBT people in the public sector, I think Utah has a decent compromise.

psychedelicsoul

Now that, sir, is a huge steaming pile of bull ****.

LGBT people don't have it that hard...
Unlike racial discrimination, being gay is not something that people can see or predict... unless you act like a stereotype or come out to people you don't need to come out to.
And unlike pot smokers, you can't be arrested for it.

It's absurd to say LGBT people have it worse than people who are discriminated against by the law itself.
Plus, homosexuality cannot be detected by any form of test, unlike THC residue. Gay people don't have a blinking rainbow colored beacon floating above their heads.
And if they act like flamboyant stereotypes, then they're not being discriminated for their sexuality, but rather their behavior.

If I owned a christian bookstore, and some guy came in flipping his wrist and swaying his hips, I wouldn't hire him... why?
Because he'd drive away my customers. For all I know, he could be a very effeminate straight guy, but that's irrelevant. My choice to not hire him comes from the fact that he'd scare off my customers.

Last edited:

Draka

Wonder Woman
Technically you can... but you just wouldn't want to.
However, the world doesn't have to know your sexuality or relationships.
I'm straight and if I dated a girl and a gay person decided not to bake a wedding cake because of their religion I wouldn't care.
So you are saying that a person of one orientation can choose to live as another right? While that is sometimes done it is a life full of lies and deceit and misery. Denying the truth of oneself, lying to oneself, lying to others (especially any partner), living a charade which denies a person any true happiness and only brings misery. Why should anyone want to do such a thing? Why should they have to?

Whether or not being gay is a choice is irrelevant.
That isn't true either. It happens to be very very relevant. It isn't a choice at all, so expecting someone who is gay to just have to go about life pretending not to be, denying who they really are, is just extremely cruel.

I didn't say it was a choice. ****ing or being with someone is a choice. Dating is a choice.
Being gay or falling in love isn't. But I don't give a crap however.
So, doing what comes naturally to a person in love is something to be discriminated against? Simply because someone's antiquated religion makes them feel hateful or "icky" about it? That's not the issue with the people in love, that's an issue with the bigots. Something they have to get over and work through. Nothing that should ever validate discrimination though. I don't care what your personal religious beliefs are, they should never adversely affect someone else's life. This is why it is the bigoted person's issue to deal with. We happen to live in a society. A community. And in order for that society to to grow, peacefully, without ill-intent among them, then people must be treated with dignity and respect. All people. So if some have issue with attempting to do that it is them that either must change or they simply do not belong in the society.

Which were those?
I've written those out thoroughly twice now. You can't even be bothered to look?

Draka

Wonder Woman
They have equal rights. They can get married, join the military and adopt children. All public sector activities are open to homosexuals. There's no ground left to say they don't have equal rights.
In many states they do not have the right to not be discriminated against merely due to their sexuality. In those states it is perfectly fine to fire someone for just being gay. To deny housing to a gay couple. There are only a handful of states that actually make it illegal to discriminate against people due to their sexual orientation. Even less when it comes to gender identity, but that's a different issue. No one is discriminating against a straight couple purchasing a house. People aren't getting fired or restricted from having jobs because they are straight. Gays, like women, like blacks, don't have full equality until what they are is no longer a factor in the ability to live their life without being prejudged merely for how they were born.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
LGBT people don't have it that hard...
From you alone you advocate discrimination against homosexuals, and you advocate violence against transsexuals if they don't disclose their medical history to you (which is, frankly, none of your damn business).
In many places homosexuals and transgenders can be fired just for being, they are often refused housing, even sometimes medical care, and both are often compared to child predators and pedophiles. Both are frequently the targets of crime, and they can't adopt in all 50 states. Homosexual men are often viewed as "lesser men" because they are gay, and transsexuals are often relegated to punch lines and degraded to objects of sexual fetishes. There is also the gay and trans panic court defense, which is legal and valid in 49 states. Both also face employment difficulties, with both hiring and making enough money for a decent living.
And unlike pot smokers, you can't be arrested for it.
Drugs and sexual orientation and gender identity are two totally and completely different issues. You have to chose to consume drugs, and your life isn't going to be miserable and empty without them. You don't get to choose your sexual orientation, you don't get to choose your gender identity, and neither group should be discriminated against or expected to not be themselves just because some people have religious objections and/or think it's gross.

MARCELLO

Transitioning from male to female
They have equal rights. They can get married, join the military and adopt children. All public sector activities are open to homosexuals. There's no ground left to say they don't have equal rights.
I am telling you to be gone. Don't try to play the innocent fool,every one us know what you think.

Draka

Wonder Woman
Are gay people born married? No...
I never said being gay is a choice. However, the rel

The "protection" I'm talking about is private sector discrimination laws. I don't think religion or sexual orientation should be protected. Gay people may not choose how they feel but they can choose what they do.
However, while I prefer a state like Virginia which only offers discrimination protections to LGBT people in the public sector, I think Utah has a decent compromise.
Straight people can as well, but that isn't the issue is it? The issue is why should they choose not to be happy? Why should they choose not to be with the one they love just like straight people are allowed to do? Why is it anybody else's business what any person does with the person they love as long as the relationship is mutually consensual? What difference does it really make to anyone else? And why should it make a difference at all? What other people do within their relationships has NOTHING to do with anyone else except them. So why should any of it matter to you? To anyone? Especially to the point of discriminating against someone merely for not liking something that has NO impact upon you whatsoever? That's not "freedom of religion" or anything other than cruelty.

psychedelicsoul

Straight people can as well, but that isn't the issue is it? The issue is why should they choose not to be happy? Why should they choose not to be with the one they love just like straight people are allowed to do? Why is it anybody else's business what any person does with the person they love as long as the relationship is mutually consensual? What difference does it really make to anyone else? And why should it make a difference at all? What other people do within their relationships has NOTHING to do with anyone else except them. So why should any of it matter to you? To anyone? Especially to the point of discriminating against someone merely for not liking something that has NO impact upon you whatsoever? That's not "freedom of religion" or anything other than cruelty.

So... choosing not to provide services to a specific function is somehow equivalent to being forced not to be happy?
Nobody is talking about what you're saying.

MARCELLO

Transitioning from male to female
I am sorry but i will put you on my ignore list. I just cannot stand racists and homophobics. Your being a sort of irreligious does not mean anything to me. Here,we have wonderful muslims who can understand me better than you.

Ciao !!!!