• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is the term "homophobe" subjective?

psychedelicsoul

The fact that a company will not necessarily go out of business, but in fact will thrive in some cases.
You have been shown two point blank examples that clearly show this to be the case.

I know... but those examples were different than flat out denying someone for being gay. So how can you come to the conclusion that christians will support a place that flat out says "no gays allowed" since the examples you cited are not that? Since people can see a clear difference between the examples you posted and straight up discrimination.

SkepticThinker

Veteran Member
I know... but those examples were different than flat out denying someone for being gay. So how can you come to the conclusion that christians will support a place that flat out says "no gays allowed" since the examples you cited are not that? Since people can see a clear difference between the examples you posted and straight up discrimination.
Why do you think those 2 examples do NOT demonstrate that?

How about Kim Davis denying marriage licenses to gay couples and all the support she has garnered from certain communities (including political/religious leaders)? Or is that just discrimination against an "event" also?

psychedelicsoul

Why do you think those 2 examples do NOT demonstrate that?

How about Kim Davis denying marriage licenses to gay couples and all the support she has garnered from certain communities (including political/religious leaders)? Or is that just discrimination against an "event" also?

I explained how Chik Fil A and Memories Pizza didn't discriminate on the basis of sexual orientation already.

Kim Davis works for the government. She doesn't own anything, she's a public servant. So yes, it is discrimination against an event. However, she's public sector.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
I explained how Chik Fil A and Memories Pizza didn't discriminate on the basis of sexual orientation already.
But you didn't. Profits from Chik Fil A go directly to anti-gay groups, meaning that Chik Fil A supports discrimination, and Memories Pizza flat out said they will refuse to service a certain event because they believe their religion gives them special privileges to pick and chose whom they will serve. If someone refused to cater the wedding of someone who is left-handed, black, Hispanic, of a certain age, or a number of other things, they would be breaking the law, it would be considered immoral, and it would be illegal.

psychedelicsoul

But you didn't. Profits from Chik Fil A go directly to anti-gay groups, meaning that Chik Fil A supports discrimination, and Memories Pizza flat out said they will refuse to service a certain event because they believe their religion gives them special privileges to pick and chose whom they will serve. If someone refused to cater the wedding of someone who is left-handed, black, Hispanic, of a certain age, or a number of other things, they would be breaking the law, it would be considered immoral, and it would be illegal.

Well yea, that's the problem. The law is sticking it's nose in peoples business. I think you should be able to deny service to a black wedding. I wouldn't support it but I'd support the freedom of others. I think that people should be left alone. Not doing something doesn't violate the harm principle. And if something doesn' violate the harm principle it should be legal.
Why do you think I support assisted suicide for any reason 100% of the time with no questions or medical recommendations required? I believe in the freedom to do whatever you want without hurting others

psychedelicsoul

I agree. But discrimination causes harm.

I think forcing christians to take part in something is harmful.
I mean....
What if a satanist wanted something satanic from a print shop or a bakery or something like that. Should they be forced to do it? What if I wanted a black owned print shop to do something with racist imagery.

The Sparrow

... I think you should be able to deny service to a black wedding...
You mean, because they are black?
Yes, that would be racism.

I wouldn't support it but I'd support the freedom of others.
Their freedom to deny a customer service because they didn't like the colour of their skin?

...Not doing something doesn't violate the harm principle. And if something doesn' violate the harm principle it should be legal....
It is harmful to treat someone in a substandard manner because you don't like the colour of their skin.

I believe in the freedom to do whatever you want without hurting others
Denying someone service - treating them in a discriminatory fashion because of the colour of their skin, is harmful.

Deidre

Well yea, that's the problem. The law is sticking it's nose in peoples business. I think you should be able to deny service to a black wedding. I wouldn't support it but I'd support the freedom of others. I think that people should be left alone. Not doing something doesn't violate the harm principle. And if something doesn' violate the harm principle it should be legal.
Why do you think I support assisted suicide for any reason 100% of the time with no questions or medical recommendations required? I believe in the freedom to do whatever you want without hurting others

Discrimination and segregation cause harm, though. Sadly, some people need laws in our country to play well with others.