• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is the Scientific Method really Scientific?

paarsurrey

Veteran Member

All methods are philosophical so must it be. Please

Regards

Sonofason

In other words, is the method used by those who claim to be good at gathering knowledge truly something that can be considered knowledge by those who claim to be good at gathering knowledge?

Of course not.

icehorse

......unaffiliated...... anti-dogmatist
Premium Member

Regards

Scientists do have values. Scientists value:

- logic and critical thinking
- evidence
- verifiability and repeatability
- discovering new things

If you don't value those things, you probably won't value science. BUT, you probably DO value those things, you just haven't thought about it.

If you use any technology from cars to computers, then you value the things that science values, because none of those things are possible without those values.

Sonofason

- evidence
- discovering new things

If you don't value those things, you probably won't value science. BUT, you probably DO value those things, you just haven't thought about it.

If you use any technology from cars to computers, then you value the things that science values, because none of those things are possible without those values.
Thus, if I like using my cell phone, I must believe in tectonic plate subduction?

leibowde84

Veteran Member

Regards
The scientific method is the basis of science. So, it would be absurd to claim that the scientific method is not scientific.

sci·ence
ˈsīəns/
noun
  1. the intellectual and practical activity encompassing the systematic study of the structure and behavior of the physical and natural world through observation and experiment.
sci·en·tif·ic meth·od
noun
  1. a method of procedure that has characterized natural science since the 17th century, consisting in systematic observation, measurement, and experiment, and the formulation, testing, and modification of hypotheses.

icehorse

Premium Member
Thus, if I like using my cell phone, I must believe in tectonic plate subduction?

If you're not hypocritical, you acknowledge what science has brought you. That doesn't mean that you have to accept every scientific theory. Scientists themselves are ALWAYS questioning each other's theories and trying to disprove them. But if you say you don't believe in tectonic plate subduction, you'll be ignored unless you have some logical reasons for such a claim. ;)

David T

Premium Member

- evidence
- discovering new things

Without science we certainly don't have the anthropocene epoch!!! We won't have to travel to mars, science is in the process of terraforming earth into mars. So "logical" such ". critical thinking" except it never seems to ever ever be extremely critical of itself in aggregate. I am sorry you seem to "believe" the scientific narrative of itself like a southern Baptist believes only believers like them go to heaven!!! Seems sort of exclusive,not realistic, or inclusive.

icehorse

Premium Member
Without science we certainly don't have the anthropocene epoch!!! We won't have to travel to mars, science is in the process of terraforming earth into mars. So "logical" such ". critical thinking" except it never seems to ever ever be extremely critical of itself in aggregate. I am sorry you seem to "believe" the scientific narrative of itself like a southern Baptist believes only believers like them go to heaven!!! Seems sort of exclusive,not realistic, or inclusive.

I think you're doing a bit of conflating here. By no means do I think science has all the answers - I don't. I'd ask you this though, in the U.S. who's more apt to be a climate change denier, a scientist or a Christian?

Sonofason

If you're not hypocritical, you acknowledge what science has brought you. That doesn't mean that you have to accept every scientific theory. Scientists themselves are ALWAYS questioning each other's theories and trying to disprove them. But if you say you don't believe in tectonic plate subduction, you'll be ignored unless you have some logical reasons for such a claim. ;)
The earth's continental plates fits together perfectly if you could remove all of the oceans. But this only works on a much smaller planet. All of the oceanic plates are no older than 200 million years, according to our currently flawed dating methods. And all of the continental crusts are much older. This implies that the earth once existed without oceans, and was much smaller. The earth is expanding, just as the universe is expanding. We know that there is insufficient mass being added to the earth to cause this expansion of the size of the earth. It is not being caused by meteors. It is not the result of photons bombarding our planet being transformed to mass. It is not about mass. The earth is growing because there is a direct correlation to the density of the universe and everything in it. I have no proof, because this is my hypothesis. I have not tested it. I'm just trying to make sense of the obvious, and that requires setting aside the established theory of tectonic plate subduction, for which there is no evidence.

icehorse

Premium Member
The earth's continental plates fits together perfectly if you could remove all of the oceans. But this only works on a much smaller planet. All of the oceanic plates are no older than 200 million years, according to our currently flawed dating methods. And all of the continental crusts are much older. This implies that the earth once existed without oceans, and was much smaller. The earth is expanding, just as the universe is expanding. We know that there is insufficient mass being added to the earth to cause this expansion of the size of the earth. It is not being caused by meteors. It is not the result of photons bombarding our planet being transformed to mass. It is not about mass. The earth is growing because there is a direct correlation to the density of the universe and everything in it. I have no proof, because this is my hypothesis. I have not tested it. I'm just trying to make sense of the obvious, and that requires setting aside the established theory of tectonic plate subduction, for which there is no evidence.

sounds like a sound approach so far...

Sonofason

sounds like a sound approach so far...
Thanks...an unexpected yet appreciated response.

The expanding earth theory has been around for quite some time. However, scientists who support the theory have not yet put forth any verifiable hypothesis to explain why the earth is expanding in size. I believe that if we were to consider the density of the universe in the equations we might reach an answer as to why the earth is expanding, and perhaps put to rest the debate that surrounds the flawed plate tectonics theory that is current accepted by most scientists.

icehorse

Premium Member
Thanks...an unexpected yet appreciated response.

The expanding earth theory has been around for quite some time. However, scientists who support the theory have not yet put forth any verifiable hypothesis to explain why the earth is expanding in size. I believe that if we were to consider the density of the universe in the equations we might reach an answer as to why the earth is expanding, and perhaps put to rest the debate that surrounds the flawed plate tectonics theory that is current accepted by most scientists.

by how much do you think it's expanding? .00001%, .01%, 1%, 10% ??

David T

Premium Member
I think you're doing a bit of conflating here. By no means do I think science has all the answers - I don't. I'd ask you this though, in the U.S. who's more apt to be a climate change denier, a scientist or a Christian?
First Take my jabs as me having a bit of fun especially in context to science. . No one is totally logical, reproduction would completely stop and we would become extinct in a single generation if that was the case!!! Magic. In regards to climate denial I have zero idea why some in religion would be deniers but economics may at a role don't you think? And if economics plays a role in denial, then we'll we have a very serious problem not easily fixed. And the reality of it all it probably makes no difference. A pack of rabbits let loose on an island with no natural predator will turn the island into a barren wasteland!!! Apparently science works at the rabbit level realistically! Science can have a lot of ideas about nature that isn't the same as understanding nature. Some very bright folks in the past in science got that, in a metaphysics sense, and some in religion have gotten that scientifically as well. not so much today. Thats a curious split into specializations at the university level dont you think?

Last edited:

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member

Regards

First off, since when has there been just one scientific method? There are thousands of methods.

Second, the question, "Is the scientific method really scientific" is worthless unless you define what you mean "scientific".

Third, for every science there is a philosophy of science that predominantly concerns itself with questions like, If method x is a reliable means of inquiry why is it a reliable means of inquiry?, and such. That does not mean that the methods themselves are philosophical anymore than passing an electric spark though a mixture of hydrogen and oxygen to produce water is philosophical.

David T

Premium Member
It's almost as if the Christians who are climate change deniers believe some of what's in the Bible :eek:
They believe ehats in theii
It's almost as if the Christians who are climate change deniers believe some of what's in the Bible :eek:
They believe what's going on in their head determines the bible nature and everything around them. The bible is easy!! John 1:1,2 In the beginning was nature, nature was god nature is god, he was with nature in the beginng!!! SIMPLE a complete moron such as me can see that!! Another moron also saw that he wrote and we ended up with national parks. His name John Muir! Maybe religious people have outsmarted themselves? Sort of like that smart/stupid tribe in the mocking Jay series. They became so educated they become clueless. And the earlier verse, is nature understood, not fantasized about. Good science and good metapbysics in one bible verse how about that. Go figure.

Last edited:

Sonofason

by how much do you think it's expanding? .00001%, .01%, 1%, 10% ??
Well, it is claimed that the oceans are approximately 200 million years old. From what I am reading, it is estimated that if we were to remove all of the oceanic plates from the earth, the volume of the earth would be approximately 4 times smaller. Thus the earth has increased 400 percent over 200 million years, if of course that 200 million year figure is accurate then the earth is increasing in size by about .000002 percent per year.