• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is the rejection of others a cornerstone of Abrahamic religions?

Christianity, Islam, and Judaism are in many ways exclusive religions that have a powerful focus on the rejection of others.

In Christianity, it is a common belief that God will ultimately reject many people, which is supported by NT passages, such as the one that says, ""Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it" - Matthew 7:13-14. Those who are deemed worthy will be welcomed into heaven, but many more will be rejected. The basis of that rejection is that people did not have faith in Jesus, or if they did, that they were not good enough anyways. Thus, God would reject most people. But this rejection is only that which comes from the very top of Christian hierarchy. The rejection that occurs on earth is also very significant. Numerous groups are rejected by various churches, for reasons such as sexual orientation, lack of faith, that they aren't doing enough good deeds. Many Christians are very much focused on rejection, and the persecution of others is a common theme not only in practice but also in conversation, where homosexuality, abortion, and inter-denominational squabbles always seem to be hot topics of conversation.

Islam has more or less the same story. Those who don't accept Muhammad as the last prophet of God are rejected by God, and they are also rejected on earth. The persecution that occurs in Islamic countries is generally of a much more hostile nature than in Christian countries against those who are supposedly rejected by God. Apostates, homosexuals, even good Muslims who question Islamic teachings are at risk of persecution, if not death. Islam has a hell too, and half of humanity will be rejected by God and given a one-way ticket to the fiery place of eternal torture.

Judaism has a different story. Jews don't believe in hell, so God won't torture people. According to many popular writings, everyone will eventually be accepted by God. However, the rejection of others still plays an important role. Specifically, the idea that Jews are the chosen people opens up a broad avenue for rejection. On the plus side, the element of rejection seems to me to be far weaker than it is in Christianity and Islam.

Finally, the three Abrahamic faiths have a long tradition of hatred, violence, and rejection towards each other.

So, here are the questions. Is the rejection of others a cornerstone of Abrahamic religions? Is it fair to say that rejection is one of the defining characteristics of the Abrahamic God, as well as most of the adherents of Abrahamic religions? Is Judaism the exception, where rejection does not play a central role?

A-ManESL

I today wrote a post here which you may find relevant to this topic. Since I don't think cross posting is allowed if you are interested you can take a look here.

HerDotness

Lady Babbleon
Judaism has a different story. Jews don't believe in hell, so God won't torture people. According to many popular writings, everyone will eventually be accepted by God. However, the rejection of others still plays an important role. Specifically, the idea that Jews are the chosen people opens up a broad avenue for rejection.

Only if the meaning of the term "chosen people" within Judaism is misunderstood.

It doesn't mean that Jews are innately superior to others, entitled to feel like God's elite, or more loved by God, common misunderstandings. Rather, it means that God chose those born Jewish, adopted into a Jewish family or committed to the involved study required to convert to become a Jew. My MIL puts it that God wants certain people to follow this particular devotional way of life; it doesn't mean God likes Jews better than gentiles.

As a Jewish friend of mine once put it--a bit jokingly, "Being Jewish is kind of like being gay. Do people honestly think anyone in their right mind would CHOOSE to be subject to the anti-Semitism and other abuse inflicted upon Jews?" Of course, he was aware that some people do in fact seek to become converts to Judaism.

Last edited:

arthra

Baha'i
If you look into it most all religions have a hell or place where you would rather not be..this is found just about in all religions... Also while we in the West are more familiar with violence in Western religions they are found in the east as well..Just not so well known.. Tibetan monks clashed.. Yogis in India fought.. It's just not so well known.

22:5 When the waves of death compassed me, the floods of ungodly men made me afraid; 22:6 The sorrows of hell compassed me about; the snares of death prevented me; 22:7 In my distress I called upon the LORD, and cried to my God: and he did hear my voice out of his temple, and my cry did enter into his ears.

(King James Bible, 2 Kings)

O Ananias, Azarias, and Misael, bless ye the Lord: praise and
exalt him above all for ever: far he hath delivered us from
hell, and saved us from the hand of death, and delivered us out
of the midst of the furnace and burning flame: even out of the
midst of the fire hath he delivered us.

(Deuterocanonical Apocrypha, The Prayer of Azariah)

And further, people take the evil way in deeds, the evil way in words, the evil way in thoughts; and by taking the evil way in deeds, words, and thoughts, at the dissolution of the body, after death, they fall into a downward state of existence, a state of suffering, into perdition, and the abyss of hell.

((The Eightfold Path), Buddha, the Word (The Eightfold Path))

116. But he who acquires without permission the Veda from one who recites it, incurs the guilt of stealing the Veda, and shall sink into hell.

(Hindu, Laws of Manu)

But rather than focus on this negative aspect we need I think emphasize what the great religions teach in positive terms! and find common ground say in interfaith gatherings..:)

punkdbass

I will be what I will be
In Biblical times the Jews required a degree of exclusiveness in order to separate themselves from the practices of other nations, such as: idolatry, human sacrifice, fertility cults, etc. However, IMO I don't think Judaism was ever meant to be as "exclusive" as it appears to be today, although I understand why a certain degree is needed. I think the Hebrew Bible envisions a world in which everyone walks in God's ways(as righteous humanists or religious people) together as one, where God's House is a House of prayer for all nations(Isaiah 56:7)

As for the topic of rejection, the Torah says that you should love non-Jews, and that there shall be ONE law for both Jews and non-Jews alike. Here are some verses:

-Lev. 19:33 "When a stranger resides with you in your land, you shall not wrong him. The stranger who resides with you shall be to you as one of your citizens, you shall love him as yourself, for you were strangers in the land of Egypt."
-Exodus 22:20 "You shall not wrong a stranger or oppress him, for you were strangers in the land of Egypt"
-Lev. 24:22 "You shall have one standard for stranger and citizen alike"
-Numbers 15:15 "There shall be one law for you and for resident stranger, it shall be a law for all time throughout the ages. You and the stranger shall be alike before the Lord; the same ritual and the same rule shall apply to you and the stranger who resides among you."
-Deut. 10:19 "You too must befriend the stranger, for you were strangers in the land of Egypt"

The list goes on. But unfortunately, as you have noticed, Jews might not always fulfill these commandments so well. But for the topic of this thread, I would say that ideally rejection should not be a "powerful focus" of Judaism

Levite

Higher and Higher
Chosenness as an ideology of superiority is really something limited to Biblical times, although it did recur a couple of times in the Rabbinic era, during times when Jews were being fiercely oppressed by non-Jews. But for most of the history of Rabbinic Judaism, and certainly today, chosenness is not conceived of as a judgment of superiority or inferiority, only difference. That Jews are chosen to be the partners of God in the covenant of Torah: nothing is presumed about whether other peoples are partners of God in other covenants-- that's not our business.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
It's probably accurate to say that monotheistic faiths breed exclusivism significantly more often than polytheistic ones. It's an inevitable result of claiming there is only one god.

New or different god-concepts don't tend to threaten polytheism because it already accepts that there are many gods or god-concepts. You can either incorporate that new god into your pantheon or ignore it without much consequence.

To a monotheist, however, a different or god-concepts threaten the idea of a one-god or are perceived as "false gods" and must be rejected to preserve strong monotheism.

However, it's important to remember not all monotheists are exclusivist. I think it would be misleading to say it is a cornerstone of monotheistic faiths. The cornerstone would be the monotheism; exclusivism and rejection is a possible outgrowth, but others accept ideas like universal salvation.

Protester

Christianity, Islam, and Judaism are in many ways exclusive religions that have a powerful focus on the rejection of others.

In Christianity, it is a common belief that God will ultimately reject many people, which is supported by NT passages, such as the one that says, ""Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it" - Matthew 7:13-14. Those who are deemed worthy will be welcomed into heaven, but many more will be rejected. The basis of that rejection is that people did not have faith in Jesus, or if they did, that they were not good enough anyways. Thus, God would reject most people. But this rejection is only that which comes from the very top of Christian hierarchy. The rejection that occurs on earth is also very significant. Numerous groups are rejected by various churches, for reasons such as sexual orientation, lack of faith, that they aren't doing enough good deeds. Many Christians are very much focused on rejection, and the persecution of others is a common theme not only in practice but also in conversation, where homosexuality, abortion, and inter-denominational squabbles always seem to be hot topics of conversation.

Islam has more or less the same story. Those who don't accept Muhammad as the last prophet of God are rejected by God, and they are also rejected on earth. The persecution that occurs in Islamic countries is generally of a much more hostile nature than in Christian countries against those who are supposedly rejected by God. Apostates, homosexuals, even good Muslims who question Islamic teachings are at risk of persecution, if not death. Islam has a hell too, and half of humanity will be rejected by God and given a one-way ticket to the fiery place of eternal torture.

Judaism has a different story. Jews don't believe in hell, so God won't torture people. According to many popular writings, everyone will eventually be accepted by God. However, the rejection of others still plays an important role. Specifically, the idea that Jews are the chosen people opens up a broad avenue for rejection. On the plus side, the element of rejection seems to me to be far weaker than it is in Christianity and Islam.

Finally, the three Abrahamic faiths have a long tradition of hatred, violence, and rejection towards each other.

So, here are the questions. Is the rejection of others a cornerstone of Abrahamic religions? Is it fair to say that rejection is one of the defining characteristics of the Abrahamic God, as well as most of the adherents of Abrahamic religions? Is Judaism the exception, where rejection does not play a central role?

The third paragraph, for Why can't religions coexist peacefully?

Typically, when the question “why can’t religions coexist” is asked, the focus is on the historic struggles among Christianity, Judaism, and Islam, although other religions are often included. Sometimes, a contrast is drawn between the pacifism of Eastern mysticism and the violence of traditional monotheism (Christianity, Judaism, Islam), though violence and extremism can also be found among the mystic religions. A brief look at history will confirm that every religion has its extremists and carries its share of blame for violence. An important question to ask is whether the bloodshed can be attributed to a religion’s essential teachings, or if it comes from a twisted application of those beliefs.

Almost all of the monographs on this site are short, and this one is no exception, so, you should read the whole thing.:yes:

Desert Snake

Veteran Member
Only if the meaning of the term "chosen people" within Judaism is misunderstood.

It doesn't mean that Jews are innately superior to others, entitled to feel like God's elite, or more loved by God, common misunderstandings. Rather, it means that God chose those born Jewish, adopted into a Jewish family or committed to the involved study required to convert to become a Jew. My MIL puts it that God wants certain people to follow this particular devotional way of life; it doesn't mean God likes Jews better than gentiles.

As a Jewish friend of mine once put it--a bit jokingly, "Being Jewish is kind of like being gay. Do people honestly think anyone in their right mind would CHOOSE to be subject to the anti-Semitism and other abuse inflicted upon Jews?" Of course, he was aware that some people do in fact seek to become converts to Judaism.

This isn't quite accurate as far as I'm concerned, you can't actually convert to being a Jew. You can convert to Judaism however, but I don't think the OT was referring to that.

Harmonious

This isn't quite accurate as far as I'm concerned, you can't actually convert to being a Jew. You can convert to Judaism however, but I don't think the OT was referring to that.

Once a person has converted to Judaism, they have in fact become a Jew. So, yes, a person can convert to be a Jew.

Why would you think otherwise?

Harmonious

So if everyone converted to Judaism then everyone would be the "chosen people"?
I imagine so. However, it isn't an easy commitment to make to become Jewish. If everyone decided to take on the beliefs and practices and underwent proper conversions, then everyone can indeed be part of the Chosen People.
Are you a rabbi?
No. I just learned a lot and I'm comfortable answering questions to the best of my ability.

Tarheeler

Argumentative Curmudgeon
Premium Member

That's funny because, as someone currently converting to Judaism, I've spoken to dozens of rabbis and have spent the last 3 years reading books written primarily by rabbis.

And so far they all agree that a convert is, in fact, a Jew.

Harmonious

What if you see the ''chosen people'' being chosen in a certain time?..

I don't understand the question. God chose to take the Jews out of Egypt, gave us the Torah, and chose us for eternity.

We've had good times, we've had bad times, and we've joked that it might be easier if God chose someone else for a while. But at the end of the day, the Jews are the Chosen People.

I heard about a line of graffiti that was found in London: How odd of God to choose the Jews.

A week later, this was found written underneath it: Not news, not odd. The Jews chose God.

Desert Snake

Veteran Member
That's funny because, as someone currently converting to Judaism, I've spoken to dozens of rabbis and have spent the last 3 years reading books written primarily by rabbis.

And so far they all agree that a convert is, in fact, a Jew.

That's great. Then being a Jew is a religion only, not an ethnicity.

Harmonious

Being a Jew is complicated. Some people are born to it. (Some people might call that ethnicity, although it's only important for three tribes in particular.) It is a belief system. It is a way of life.

Harmonious

I heard about a line of graffiti that was found in London: How odd of God to choose the Jews.

A week later, this was found written underneath it: Not news, not odd. The Jews chose God.
This bit was only meant to make you smile. Like a similar line: The words of the prophets are written on the subway walls and tenement halls...

Tarheeler

Argumentative Curmudgeon
Premium Member

Lists of ethnic groups - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
wiki said:
Jewish – Religion and Ethnicity, principally concentrated in the USA, Israel where they form the majority and the (Russia). About 14 to 30 million estimated Jews around the world mostly in Canada, France, the UK, Australia, New Zealand, South Africa and Latin America

Ethnic - Definition and More from the Free Merriam-Webster Dictionary
Merriam-Webster said:
Ethnic: of or relating to large groups of people classed according to common racial, national, tribal, religious, linguistic, or cultural origin or background

Ethnic | Define Ethnic at Dictionary.com
Dictionary.com said:
Ethnic: pertaining to or characteristic of a people, especially a group (ethnic group) sharing a common and distinctive culture, religion, language, or the like.

By definition, it is.