• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is the Internet being recorded?

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
I was just curious if everything on the internet is being recorded or "saved" on a giant memory chip.

...Because I think it would be interesting if I put (Landon Caeli) on my grave stone, under my real name, and then my great, great grandchildren could understand my mentality, by viewing my conversations here and on other forums.

...Like living forever... Digitally.

Every internet server records your ip address, date and time, your host server name and what you a accessed.

Technically only the server operator can see the server log but... Some servers are not secure (a breach in Panemma gave open access to the data of around 85% of internet users in that country.

In the UK (and several other countries) government can demand access to server logs, ostensibly to look for terrorist activities, but who knows what else they find?

I also believe that if someone requested a court order demanding access to a specific IP address data and provides a good enough reason a court order will probably be granted .

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
I was just curious if everything on the internet is being recorded or "saved" on a giant memory chip.

...Because I think it would be interesting if I put (Landon Caeli) on my grave stone, under my real name, and then my great, great grandchildren could understand my mentality, by viewing my conversations here and on other forums.

...Like living forever... Digitally.

Probably for most, but try getting a deceased loved one's input from one of the providers, where it might essentially just vanish into the ether due to legal obligations. Many seem to have problems in this area. And take it as an assumption that any image posted on the internet, no matter how protected, will live on forever somewhere - even if this is not always the case.