• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is the Concept of God Necessary To Explain Anything?

emiliano

This is getting interesting,, it seems that this is heading in the direction of population sustainability, and God is certainly necessary to explain what the problem is, and to adopt His solution, at present the earth is capable of sustaining a population several time higher than the one we have, the problem is distribution, and science is failing us, the main reason is that scientists have not come up with a solution, they tackle the problem by producing more and more goods, but has no solution for the distribution issue, there are countries destroying over production rather than give it away to those in need (a loveless act) God solution is LOVE “love your neighbour as you love yourself” tomspug is right the problems that we face, the problems that generations past have faced has little to do with religion, it has to do with economics and politics.

Scuba Pete

Le plongeur avec attitude...
I hate to quote Jay but... go back and read what I'd wrote.
The engine may have been there, but my daughter had no concept of one.

You confuse the truth with the perception of the truth. The lack of the latter does not negate the former.

Our belief or non-belief of God has little bearing on his existence or non-existence.

Your disbelief is about as compelling as a theist's belief.

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
The engine may have been there, but my daughter had no concept of one.
But the engineers who constructed it must have.

You confuse the truth with the perception of the truth. The lack of the latter does not negate the former.
No, I just don't belivee in "the truth" as different from truth.

Our belief or non-belief of God has little bearing on his existence or non-existence.

Your disbelief is about as compelling as a theist's belief.
Our belief is dependent upon our information. If we have good information of God, then there is no reason we should not believe in God (and vise versa).

Your disbelief is not compelling at all.

Scuba Pete

So the engine proves necessary to explain the car's motion. You're not faring very well in this thread, Pete. :no:
Not at all. You are confused about what is NECCESARY for the car to operate. My daughter demonstrates that with or without an explanation, the car still runs. Someone told me that those engines are just myths. Another told me that there is no engine and that the car just motivates itself.

Scuba Pete

But the engineers who constructed it must have.
Engineers have been denounced as myths. These cars evolved with absolutely NO outside intervention. A million years ago they were merely motorcycles.
No, I just don't belivee in "the truth" as different from truth.
Few do. It takes humility to understand that your perception of the truth is like looking into a mirror dimly.
Our belief is dependent upon our information. If we have good information of God, then there is no reason we should not believe in God (and vise versa).
Our belief is dependent on our perceptions and the culmination of our experiences. Our beliefs may intersect with the truth as a line intersects with a plane, but much of what we think is true is false.
Your disbelief is not compelling at all.
Oh, I believe in the engine... especially the little engine that thought it "could" :D

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
Not at all. You are confused about what is NECCESARY for the car to operate. My daughter demonstrates that with or without an explanation, the car still runs. Someone told me that those engines are just myths. Another told me that there is no engine and that the car just motivates itself.
What is the difference between "runs" and "operates"?

(By the way, you REALLY don't win any points by using the word "just" with "myth" around me, who knows what a myth really is.)

Scuba Pete

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
Engineers have been denounced as myths.
I'm sorry. As someone who knows what myth actually means, the word does not denounce anything.

These cars evolved with absolutely NO outside intervention.
Evolved? Doesn't that very concept imply a cause? Or... perhaps you misunderstand the concept?

A million years ago they were merely motorcycles.
Yes. Yes, you do misunderstand the concept.

Our belief is dependent on our perceptions and the culmination of our experiences.
No argument there. That is what information, and its consequent belief, is.

Our beliefs may intersect with the truth as a line intersects with a plane, but much of what we think is true is fallacious. Oh, I believe in the engine... especially the little engine that thought it "could" :D
If something is not true, we do not believe it. We only believe in things that are true; things that are untrue, we disbelieve.

logician

"The concept of God doesn't explain anything at all. It just replaces questions.."

And which concept of god is that, Zeus, Allah, Jehovah - there are about as many concepts as there are cultures.

emiliano

"The concept of God doesn't explain anything at all. It just replaces questions.."

And which concept of god is that, Zeus, Allah, Jehovah - there are about as many concepts as there are cultures.

The concept is that of an all powerful, all knowing, merciful loving being, goodness itself, and since our intellect moves us toward what is good, and since our happiness is in God, we are moved to Him, God is essential for many peoples (billion of believer)