• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is the Bible the inspired word of God?

Vadergirl123

When the bible says that those who violate the sabbath should be stoned to death, that's not from God, that's from ancient Rabbi's who wanted their belief's to be separate from other faiths and to be followed and respected by their own.
Or it could be the laws God gave concerning the Israelites

What people so often don't understand is that revelation rarely comes from a booming voice in the sky, it's almost entirely through dreams. No one wrote down the Adam and Eve story as it happened. It was revealed to someone thousands of years later who then wrote Genesis.
How do you know that?

Caladan

Agnostic Pantheist
Sorry, I'm speechless by what seems to be completely self enforced ignorance and circular reasoning. Good luck with that.

outhouse

Atheistically
It does discuss MANY different things :) Although I don't believe it's stories are myths

How so?

How has God "evoloved?"

many of the legends are mythical., the sun doesnt rotate around the earth, and the earth isnt 6000 years old, and adam and eve never existed outside of literature. Noahs flood is a borrowed legend of a river flood, and many of the places and battles said to have taken place are impossibilities. AND no one argues this with knowledge on the subject.

much of the mythology in the first five books is traceable back to how , why , and when the mythology was created in previous civilizations.

You do know Israelites didnt really exist before 12000 BC, and at that time they were a very small nomadic/semi-nomadic people that were more Canaanite in origin then anything else.

The Israelites forst worshipped many gods but 4 main gods El, Yahweh, Baal, and Asherah. after the fall of teh temple El and Yahweh were merged in to one around 622 BC, and the scripture reflects this as it was redacted to make Elohim and Yahweh as one.

Without historical knowledge or knowledge in cultural anthopology of the time period and no knowledge of scholarships on first five books of the bible, your not speaking from a point of view outside total ignorance on the subject.

the evolution of god goes like this

El and Yahweh are worshipped until 622 BC by north and southern tribes and villages.
El and Yahweh are combined as one deity after 622 BC
Yahweh stays the one god of judaism
There is no Yahweh and holy spirit as duality within judaism.
325 CE jesus is combined with Yahweh and a ghost but is fiercely contested by many bishops, this is rejected by judaism but followed only by christians a hellenized sect of judaism.

Vadergirl123

You do know Israelites didnt really exist before 12000 BC, and at that time they were a very small nomadic/semi-nomadic people that were more Canaanite in origin then anything else.
Yes I know that, why do you believe they were Canaanit in origin?
The Israelites forst worshipped many gods but 4 main gods El, Yahweh, Baal, and Asherah. after the fall of teh temple El and Yahweh were merged in to one around 622 BC, and the scripture reflects this as it was redacted to make Elohim and Yahweh as one.
Where are you getting all this from?

sojourner

Annoyingly Progressive Since 2006
It doesn't contradict itself, is historically and scientifically accurate,
3 strikes, and you're outta there, my dear.
1) There are contradictions, which any basic exegesis will show.
2) It is not historically accurate, because some of the stuff is supported neither by extra-biblical writing, or by the archaeological record.
3) It is not scientifically accurate, since there was no worldwide flood, and the sky is not a rigid dome, upon which are fixed the sun and moon.

Super Universe

Defender of God
Or it could be the laws God gave concerning the Israelites

How do you know that?

It could not be, but I'll play your game for a moment. For God to have given the Isrealites their own set of laws then God would have to differentiate between groups of humans. He would also have to intervene in free will. These are things that just don't happen.

How do I know that revelation comes from dreams? Because I've had them. How do you think it happened to the Isrealites, every time a burning bush spoke?

outhouse

Atheistically
Yes I know that, why do you believe they were Canaanit in origin?

Where are you getting all this from?

the exodus is mythology, Canaanites made up much of the earliest Israelites, there is no difference in the pottery or buildings of Canaanties and early Isaraelites, you cant even tell the difference for a few hundred years. But we do see these early Israelites habitating Israel after 1200 BC, with heavy influences from Mesopotamia and very little from Egypt.

Most of the early mythology is Mesopotamian in origin, legends like Adam and Noah and Abraham all originating from Mesopotamia and passed down through oral tradition and later retold giving the unique and beautiful hebrew herritage. Then redacted countless times after collections were finally put together.

were am i getting it from? its called a education on the subject :facepalm:

Jesus Pipes

The bible is a collection of stories from a large number of authors spanning a long range of years, written on many scrolls spread throughout vast regions. If you think it is the exact word of God, you are in denial.

sojourner

For God to have given the Isrealites their own set of laws then God would have to differentiate between groups of humans.
Problem is that, Biblically, God does differentiate between groups of human beings.

Super Universe

Defender of God
Problem is that, Biblically, God does differentiate between groups of human beings.

But what does the bible have to do with God?

God created the universe, not the bible. Ignorant humans wrote the books of the bible, humans who didn't know the real cause of earthquakes, storms, drought, birth defects, and disease so they blamed every unknown thing on God.

If you really want to know about God, study the universe.

tumbleweed41

Resident Liberal Hippie
He "speaks" to us through his word.
And as I said

Contradicting revelations given to a handful of men that are meant for the billions of humans that have lived in the last 5 to 6 thousand years?

I myself believe that "God's Word" is revealed in the natural world, not the supposed revealed revelation of man.

dishcandanty

I believe that the Bible is the word of God. But only when you read with the Holy Spirit.

I think its common knowledge that the Bible hasn't come to us in a perfect form. Many different translations and disagreements. I feel plain and precious truths have been clouded during that process. No doubt though, its a miracle we have it.

2 Timothy 3:16 - "All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:"

This scripture to me says, If it is scripture, then it has to come from God. Because scripture comes from God. And when it does its beautiful. But only when you use it in righteousness.

Ill throw another spin on the 'righteousness' part. I believe the Holy Spirit gave the Evangelists what to write. If you can feel that spirit. I'd say that is a good thing. They may not have correctly communicated that message. But with the Spirit. You can be edified, and come closer to God and Christ.

There is only one perfect person, I know of, who roamed the Earth. So how can you expect perfection from imperfection. Incorruption from Corruption?

sojourner

Biblically, yes. Especially in the Old Testament.

Do you believe God does this in reality?
Only in the creative process that results in differences, such as genetics, skin color, personality, etc. In terms of judgment? No. I think the reason God reflects this in the OT has more to do with the ancient propensity to "circle the wagons."

Super Universe

Defender of God
I believe that the Bible is the word of God. But only when you read with the Holy Spirit.

I think its common knowledge that the Bible hasn't come to us in a perfect form. Many different translations and disagreements. I feel plain and precious truths have been clouded during that process. No doubt though, its a miracle we have it.

2 Timothy 3:16 - "All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:"

This scripture to me says, If it is scripture, then it has to come from God. Because scripture comes from God. And when it does its beautiful. But only when you use it in righteousness.

Ill throw another spin on the 'righteousness' part. I believe the Holy Spirit gave the Evangelists what to write. If you can feel that spirit. I'd say that is a good thing. They may not have correctly communicated that message. But with the Spirit. You can be edified, and come closer to God and Christ.

There is only one perfect person, I know of, who roamed the Earth. So how can you expect perfection from imperfection. Incorruption from Corruption?

If scripture is from God then how come women are treated as second class citizens in the bible? What's more likely, that this is from God, or written by ancient man to put them in their "place".

If scripture is from God then why would God want you to give money to the temple upon the census? And the big question is how did the temple Rabbi's get the money to God? I bet they didn't. I bet they spent it.

If scripture is from God then how come unknown events that happened thousands of years ago were blamed on God when we no longer blame floods, disease, birth defects, drought, crop failure on God anymore? Maybe because primitive man had no other explanation for these events?

If scripture is from God then do you believe we should stone to death those who violate the sabbath? And for adultery?

Road Warrior

Seeking the middle path..
Only in the creative process that results in differences, such as genetics, skin color, personality, etc. In terms of judgment? No. I think the reason God reflects this in the OT has more to do with the ancient propensity to "circle the wagons."

Understandable since ancient nomadic cultures were always subject to attack by marauders.

In another respect, I see the NT building on the OT. It's like First Graders in school are taught one thing, then when they master that, they advance and are taught another as they become more sophisticated, more educated and more mature.