• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is the Bible Inspired ?

joe1776

So how is it that the Bible: a Catholic Book} BTW, has not only existed for about 1,900 years now; is the foundation for Christianity {which is very loosely and with many inventions, innovations and changes {MANY due to an inability to rightly understand it} ......
The Bible doesn't endure because of its own qualities. It endures because Christianity endures. It does so by using a powerful method to recruit and hold its faithful.

Christians coerce their young children to believe using the powerful reward (Heaven) and punishment (Hell) method generation after generation. The children also grow thinking of themselves as members of an elite group favored by God which makes a strong appeal to the arrogant side of human nature.

Last edited:

pearl

It's a mystical text, to me.

A point too often overlooked. God's inspiration is received by the 'mystic'. As the inspired composer of music, poetry, art etc., through them it is made public. Though the Bible is God inspired, the public revelation is human and within the context of time and culture. Humans are not infallible.

BilliardsBall

Veteran Member
Logically, this implies that the writer's (and there were many) thoughts and personalities were "inerrant". Otherwise, the text was not from their minds and personalities, but from God, because their minds and personalities were not "inerrant". It can't be both, except by some illogical feat of divine intervention. And if God were to employ such a feat, why bother using humans as intermediaries at all? Why not remove all possibility of doubt and error by conveying his message directly?

The whole "inerrant Bible theory" is blasphemous. It is a form of religious idolatry wherein the words of men are being treated as the words of God. And the reason this idolatry persists is because some humans want to wear "God's righteousness" as their own, by claiming their religious texts and proscriptions were written by God, and therefor cannot be questioned, doubted, or rejected as human opinion or error. It's no different than imagining that the golden calf IS the god it was intended to represent by the men that made it.

I'd answer your question, but instead of waiting for me to respond, you post rhetoric saying it's blasphemous to believe the ultimate mind can't write a book without mistakes within. I've gotten 100% on a test before and bet Jesus can also!

PureX

Veteran Member
I'd answer your question, but instead of waiting for me to respond, you post rhetoric saying it's blasphemous to believe the ultimate mind can't write a book without mistakes within. I've gotten 100% on a test before and bet Jesus can also!
Jesus didn't write a thing.

PureX

Veteran Member
The Bible doesn't endure because of its own qualities. It endures because Christianity endures. It does so by using a powerful method to recruit and hold its faithful.

Christians coerce their young children to believe using the powerful reward (Heaven) and punishment (Hell) method generation after generation. The children also grow thinking of themselves as members of an elite group favored by God which makes a strong appeal to the arrogant side of human nature.
An interesting idea, and an interesting question: would the Bible have endured for so long as a pre-eminently important collection of 'wisdom literature' if it had not been adopted by and turned into a religious idol?