• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is the bible historically accurate?

anders

During the last few weeks I have tried to find some facts related to what, for example, Bryant Wood and Ron Wyatt think that they have located. So far, I have seen nothing resembling proof that the "five cities" have been found. That the name Sodom occurs on an Ebla clay tablet is no identification, in the absence of maps or clear geographical descriptions. The mentionings have been almost exclusively on sites with a clear agenda to prove the Bible correct, but nowhere have I found descriptions of archaeologists' interpretations of their finds, but for a vague mentioning of the existence of ash. If any of you can point to details, positiv or negative for the attribution of the towns, I would be very grateful.

A credible dating for Abraham would also be helpful. I have seen guesses from 3000 B.C.E. to 1500 B.C.E. The greater part of that timespan clearly contradicts coexistence of Abe and the alleged Sodom.

I don't believe in the Exodus. Tiny ancient villages have been found by archaeologists in the most improbable regions of the world, and yet we have no finds resulting from towards a million people, including "flocks, and herds, even very much cattle", traversing a desert with excellent possibilities for preservation of artefacts.

From spin on Internet Infidels:
What I found interesting on the not leaving evidence line of thought is something I said in an earlier thread. Imagine that our average exodist produced only 200 grams of faeces a day; this would mean that a million exodists (600,000 men plus a few others) would produce on average 200,000 kilograms of faeces each day (or 2,920,000,000 kilograms in 40 years). Now a city needs a very complex sanitary system to deal with that much faeces, a system unavailable to our simple desert exodists. Forty years of unprocessed faeces over such a small area as the Sinai would turn the area into mountains, though perhaps they each went off and dug their own little hole and covered it up. Let's say they were compact in their toilet habits and buried their stuff a metre away from everyone else's, so that we have an area of one square kilometre of used land each day that would mean, with zero growth, 14600 square kilometres of fertilized ground in 40 years of wanderings. I wonder why nothing growns in the Sinai?

Reactions: Pah

true blood

anders said:
The mentionings have been almost exclusively on sites with a clear agenda to prove the Bible correct

Do you expect to find evidence on sites that have a clear agenda to prove the Bible incorrect? Is a site, with an agenda to prove the Bible correct, going to post information that would do the opposite, and vise verca?

linwood

true blood said:
Do you expect to find evidence on sites that have a clear agenda to prove the Bible incorrect? Is a site, with an agenda to prove the Bible correct, going to post information that would do the opposite, and vise verca?

Thats not the point.

If these sites had the hard evidence he is seeking they would have most definately posted it because it is their sole intent to prove the Bible correct.

The conclusion is that the evidence isn`t there.

Reactions: Pah