• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is the bible historically accurate?

I dont want to take you too literally so bear with me...

I can't prove that the fish came before the land animals, if you are taking the creation as being literal... because we would have been created after, so we would have no way of knowing. Much of Genesis is debated as being authentic, like the flood, tower of Babel, ect. However, once the Old Testament gets into the history of Israel as a nation, pretty much everything is confirmed by outside accounts, like their captivity in Babylon, ect. Also, their history gets much more believable after that ^^. Jesus is a whole nother story, but did u mean the New Testament too? Because there have been books upon books written about that :)

Pah

Uber all member
Rex_Admin said:
Can every part of the bible be proven historically?

If you are refering to the Bible as an account of history and excepting some of the later parts of the Old Testament, no!

In fact, history has shown that the nativity story could not have happened the way it is told.

-pah-

Green Gaia

Veteran Member
I think it's important to remember that the Bible contains both the myths and histories of an entire race of people. So yes, some of it is historically accurate and can be proven, but other parts are just stories and we need to use reason and common sense to weed out which is which.

anders

Hirohito18200 said:
Thats what I was trying to say... The national history parts are reliable but the others are up for grabs...
What parts of the national history do you refer to? There is no proof for an enslavement in Egypt (indeed very little proof for Israelites having been there on any scale worth mentioning), no proof for the Exodus in spite of all these years of supposed desert walking, no proof for any falling walls in Jericho, no proof (fortunately) for the multiple genocides and other atrocities when Israel entered Palestine...

Rex_Admin said:
Can every part of the bible be proven historically?
Many of the stories in the book of Genesis have been found to be fables borrowed from early cultures. The evident was found on clay cuneiform tablets, papyrus, hieroglyphic, lambskin, steles and relics that were discovered and is now located in museums all over the world.

Other stories in the bible have been associated with various myths from all over the world.

true blood

There have been many historic proofs. Ancient sites, civilizations, and characters have been verified. Alot of the proofs have been lost in the fire of the Alexander library in 7th century, it is said that over 1 million volumes were lost. I'd like to know why the photo's of the Dead Sea scrolls were with held from the public for 40 years after they were discovered...hmm
Remnants of Sodom, Gomorrah, Admah, Zoar, and Zeboiim have been discovered as well as Jericho. There have been many dicoveries

Pah

Uber all member
true blood said:
There have been many historic proofs. Ancient sites, civilizations, and characters have been verified. Alot of the proofs have been lost in the fire of the Alexander library in 7th century, it is said that over 1 million volumes were lost. I'd like to know why the photo's of the Dead Sea scrolls were with held from the public for 40 years after they were discovered...hmm
Remnants of Sodom, Gomorrah, Admah, Zoar, and Zeboiim have been discovered as well as Jericho. There have been many dicoveries

Nothing you've mentioned has any bearing on the core issue of the Bible - namely the existence of God or what was supposed to have taken place there.

George Washington is supposed to have chopped down a cherry tree. That his childhood home is a known place does nothing to prove the legend. He was alo supposed to have tossed a coin across a river - the fact the river does exist does not verify the story.

Specifically
http://www.bbc.co.uk/history/ancient/sodom_gomorrah_01.shtml
The story is certainly dramatic - but is it just fiction? There's no agreement among archaeologists, scientists and Biblical scholars that Sodom, and its sister town Gomorrah, existed at all - let alone that it came to a sudden and apocalyptic end.

The Dead Sea scrolls date about 300 CE and were from an Gnostic sect. Perhaps they were withheld for that reason or something in the ebb and flow of political jousting.

-pah-

Scott1

pah said:
Nothing you've mentioned has any bearing on the core issue of the Bible - namely the existence of God or what was supposed to have taken place there.
Is this thread about the Bible or the existence of God?

Scott1

Got ya..... I thought it was about history not theology..... I'll pass on this one.... thanks pah.

Scott

true blood

pah said:

George Washington is supposed to have chopped down a cherry tree. That his childhood home is a known place does nothing to prove the legend. He was alo supposed to have tossed a coin across a river - the fact the river does exist does not verify the story.

Specifically
http://www.bbc.co.uk/history/ancient/sodom_gomorrah_01.shtml

The Dead Sea scrolls date about 300 CE and were from an Gnostic sect. Perhaps they were withheld for that reason or something in the ebb and flow of political jousting.

-pah-

The discovery of Sodom and Gomorrah with tons of ash could possible relate to what happened in the bible. The proof that fires started on the roofs of all the buildings excavated and eventially the burning roofs collapsed into the interior and spread inside the buildings. The discovery of Jericho and the exact fortified walls as described by Joshua and that they collapsed from the bottom and created a ramp that outsiders could run up. Hmm..

Green Gaia

Veteran Member
true blood said:
The discovery of Sodom and Gomorrah with tons of ash could possible relate to what happened in the bible. The discovery of Jericho with all its fortified walls caved out could possibly relate to what happened in the bible. There's more..
Not really... it would only prove those cities existed and were destoryed in some manner. Proving the were destoryed how and why the Bible says they were, would be pretty much impossible.

true blood

Yes they could. Why couldn't they? To be more exact, five cities of the plain mentioned in Gen. have been found. Studies at these cities prove they all had been abandoned at the same exact time. Four of the cities are covered in the same exact ash, and in every destroyed city ash deposites have made the soil a spongy charcoal, impossible to build over. According to the bible only 4 of the 5 cities were destroyed, leaving Lot to flee to Zoar. Zoar wasn't destroyed by fire but was abandoned at this time period. hmm..

And its been proved that all the buildings in the cities were destroyed from a fire that started on the rooftops. Exactly like the bible teaches. Impelling. Now be open minded about this people, don't you think its a bit wierd that 4 cities burned down at the same time with each building catching fire on the rooftops?

Green Gaia

Veteran Member
So? It's doesn't prove the fire and brimstone from Heaven story. It can't. Finding these cities only proves they existed and were later destoryed or abandoned.

true blood

Hot objects falling onto rooftops, catching fire, burning, 4 cities, same time...very much proves it somewhat. What other proof is possible is what I'm wondering..

Green Gaia

Veteran Member
true blood said:
Hot objects falling onto rooftops, catching fire, burning, 4 cities, same time...very much proves it somewhat. What other proof is possible is what I'm wondering..

Sounds a like a volcano, a meteor.... not fire and brimstone from an angry god.