• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is 'Soul' an Abstract or Concrete noun?

The Sum of Awe

Brought to you by the moment that spacetime began.
Are you one of those folks who doesn't think in pictures? Are the images you see in a dream physical?

I guess not, but is the dream visible and not just a thought? I mean, it's not like we all see the thought in the physical world, living, you just see it when you are asleep, thinking.

Sorry if I can't explain it good, but I'll try to rephrase if I didn't.

SCHIZO

What do you think the Soul is like? A lot of people I know think it is a fog-like version of us that dwells in our body. Do you think someone can see the soul?

Now, what do you think when I relate the Soul to be somewhat like the form that the (non-physical) Mind is in? Invisible, untouchable, not able to know that it is there, etc. Not made up of matter or atoms or energy or anything, like the mind.

The second version that I just described is an Abstract Noun because we cannot use our senses to become aware of it. The first one is a concrete noun because it is able to be seen, but our hand goes through it so we cannot touch it, etc.

Isn't the first one therefore physical? Isn't it also the popular version of a soul?

I think the soul isn't even part of the body or mind. It is something that cannot be known by either the mind or body. The soul hides from us. It could be anywhere. It could be right next to me. It could be in another dimension. All I know is it belongs to me and I don't come into union with it until I die.

I think the soul is the absolute truth of who we really are. It is who we actually look like in reality. By this I mean in physical appearance and internally, who we are as a person. Unless spiritually gifted, I do not believe anyone can see the soul.

How you describe the soul is more like how it is, however, don't think that it is a resident within your own body. It doesn't need to occupy the same space as you do. No matter what it still belongs to you. I believe you come into union with your soul upon your death and take it as your body and mind. It may be invisible, untouchable concerning this state of being, however, in union with your own soul what was invisible become visible and what was untouchable becomes an object of sense.

You can see an abstract noun if you have a supernatural gift to do so.

I think the two forms of the soul you describe are related both the abstract and the concrete. The concrete is just the abstract being revealed. Everything that is hidden will be revealed (gnostic wisdom). The concrete gives the abstract more conception that brings something substantial into the world. Something more easily understood. It gives the soul corporeality which the soul is. The soul is a body not an abstraction. It just appears to be an abstraction because we cannot directly see it. But it definitely exists in a corporeal state.