• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is 'Soul' an Abstract or Concrete noun?

The Sum of Awe

Brought to you by the moment that spacetime began.
What do you think the Soul is like? A lot of people I know think it is a fog-like version of us that dwells in our body. Do you think someone can see the soul?

Now, what do you think when I relate the Soul to be somewhat like the form that the (non-physical) Mind is in? Invisible, untouchable, not able to know that it is there, etc. Not made up of matter or atoms or energy or anything, like the mind.

The second version that I just described is an Abstract Noun because we cannot use our senses to become aware of it. The first one is a concrete noun because it is able to be seen, but our hand goes through it so we cannot touch it, etc.

Isn't the first one therefore physical? Isn't it also the popular version of a soul?

St Giordano Bruno

Closer to a verb than a noun, the "soul" is what the brain is doing and what the brain is doing is "information processing" so if it is a noun at all it only exists as a form of software like the operating system in your computer, which makes it a form of energy exchange as in your CPU.

btd,dtbb

abstract. "Body and Soul". The body and soul are intertwined. The soul is the (spiritual and intangible ) asset of a person that continues to live after the body (physical and tangible) asset dies.

Acim

Revelation all the time
Envelopes the body. Misperceived as contained in tiny portion of brain as abstract version of mind. If / when perception is purified it can be seen with in-sight as enveloping the body. Can be made visible with physical sight (upon purification), but is not a goal; more like effect of looking through physical eyes.

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
I believe a soul is the entity which results when a physical body is infused with life-giving spirit. That's probably not the kind of answer you were looking for, but with my understanding of the term "soul," the question doesn't quite make sense.

Splarnst

Do you guys believe the soul is visible even though it's abstract? If so, how?
The ideas are contradictory. If you see something, it has a physical aspect and cannot be abstract. It's like asking whether you can see justice.

And I believe souls are abstract. Metaphor only.

The Sum of Awe

The ideas are contradictory. If you see something, it has a physical aspect and cannot be abstract. It's like asking whether you can see justice.

And I believe souls are abstract. Metaphor only.

Exactly why I asked.

There are some people out there that believe in ghosts moving objects or seeing ghosts in mirrors, and ghosts are basically souls, even if some people call them demons, demons are souls also. There are so many people that don't understand what "non-physical" means.

Splarnst

You're right, claiming to see a ghost means seeing a physical manifestation. I don't see how something supernatural could ever interact with the natural world. What supernatural force can cause electrons to change orbits and emit photons? It doesn't make any sense.

Acim

Revelation all the time
Not if you know where to look.

You have to be willing to boldly go where no one has gone before.

You could try Farpoint Station.

The Sum of Awe

Closer to a verb than a noun, the "soul" is what the brain is doing and what the brain is doing is "information processing" so if it is a noun at all it only exists as a form of software like the operating system in your computer, which makes it a form of energy exchange as in your CPU.

If it is more of a verb than a noun, how would you decide to say "the" in front of it, because according to the laws of language, 'the' never comes before a verb.

Erebus

What do you think the Soul is like? A lot of people I know think it is a fog-like version of us that dwells in our body. Do you think someone can see the soul?

Now, what do you think when I relate the Soul to be somewhat like the form that the (non-physical) Mind is in? Invisible, untouchable, not able to know that it is there, etc. Not made up of matter or atoms or energy or anything, like the mind.

The second version that I just described is an Abstract Noun because we cannot use our senses to become aware of it. The first one is a concrete noun because it is able to be seen, but our hand goes through it so we cannot touch it, etc.

Isn't the first one therefore physical? Isn't it also the popular version of a soul?

Well you've pretty much answered your own question. "Soul" can be a concrete or abstract noun depending on usage. Even if a soul is fictional it can be a concrete noun in much the same way as "orc" or "hobbit" providing it has qualities that can be explained/experienced with the senses.

Compare the description of the soul as a ghost to the description of a soul as the driving force of the body and mind (or some similar description). The first can be described in a manner which relies on the senses. How does it look/sound/feel/smell/taste? The second relies on our ability to interpret concepts and so has no physical features.

Jeneshisu

Smile ^^
The "soul" as most people would describe it is just an embodiment of our awareness and identity. It's also called Ego and does have its place in the brain.

religion99

As far as classification is concerned , Soul should come in the same category as Matter. It is as real as Matter , but at the same time distinct from Matter, because it is not subordinate to Matter and independent of Matter. Even if it is spatially indistinct from Body , it can be recognized by it's unique attribute of Consciousness. Upon death , only material Body remains and Soul goes somewhere else, as can be recognized by absence of Consciousness after death in the Body.

Hi there! When you examine the way “soul” or “souls” is used in the Bible, it becomes evident that this word basically refers to people, animals, or the life that a person or an animal enjoys.
Fo example, “In Noah’s days .*.*. a few people, that is, eight souls, were carried safely through the water.” (1*Peter 3:20) Here the word “souls” clearly stands for people—Noah, his wife, his three sons, and their wives.
2-nd, In Genesis 1:20, 24 we read "And God went on to say: ‘Let the earth put forth living souls according to their kinds, domestic animal and moving animal and wild beast of the earth according to its kind.’ And it came to be so.” In this passage, fish, domestic animals, and wild beasts are all referred to by the same word—“souls.”
And 3rd- Consider Jesus’ words: “I am the fine shepherd; the fine shepherd surrenders his soul in behalf of the sheep.” (John 10:11) Jesus gave his soul, or life, in behalf of mankind. In these Bible passages, the word “soul” clearly refers to life as a person.