• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is self-awareness axiomatic or illusory?

Is self-awareness axiomatic (self-evident) or illusory?

• Total voters

psychoslice

Veteran Member
Self Awareness for me is from within me, its beyond the mind, but experienced through the mind, I can't say much about it because it was a self realization that I cannot put words to, but when it happens, you will know what I mean and what many others have experienced, you will know, so there is no argument about what it is really, because you cannot conceptualize it at all.

Laika

Premium Member
Voted illusionary, though rather cautiously. Its a good question. Our awareness of our "selves" as distinct entities often fails to recognise our dependence on the material world for sustinance, that we are ourselves matter organised into a biological organism, and possess "senses" as the result of neurological processes. We are not 'seperate' from reality because we possess consciousness of the self. "self" awareness often carries with it a belief in the moral significance of the individual. We are part of the vastness of time and space, so awareness of "self" carries with it an awareness of our own insigificance in the material world- but our own survival remains the function of self-awareness. for without a self, we cannot be aware of our insignificance.

will have to think on that one.

psychoslice

Veteran Member
The so called self that we call ourselves is nothing more than conditioning and programming, this is what we believe ourselves to be, but we are more than this, we are connected to all there is, the Universe is one, we as so called humans divide it among ourselves in all sorts of ways, be it religion, culture, race and all the rest,. all the stupid ways we see ourselves differently. So, who are you ?.