• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is Scientology really a religion?

Skwim

Veteran Member
"The Church of Scientology has pursued an extensive public relations campaign for the recognition of Scientology as a religion in the various countries in which it exists. Opinions around the world still differ on whether Scientology is to be recognized as a religion or not, and Scientology has often encountered opposition due to its strong-arm tactics directed against critics and members wishing to leave the organization. A number of governments now view the Church as a religious organization entitled to protections and tax relief, while others continue to view it as a pseudoreligion or cult. The differences between these classifications have become a major problem when discussing religions in general and Scientology specifically.

Scientology is officially recognized as a religion in the United States.Recognition came in 1993, when the (IRS) stated that "[Scientology is] operated exclusively for religious and charitable purposes."

Scientology has so far failed to win religious recognition in Canada. In the UK, the Charity Commission for England and Wales ruled in 1999 that Scientology was not a religion and refused to register the Church as a charity, although a year later, it was recognized as a not-for-profit body in a separate proceeding by the UK Revenue and Customs and exempted from UK value added tax.

Since 1997 Germany has considered Scientology to be in conflict with the principles of the nation's constitution. It is seen as an anticonstitutional sect and a new version of political extremism and because there is "evidence for intentions against the free democratic basic order" it is observed by the Federal Office for the Protection of the Constitution."
Source: Wikipedia

From their web site.

"Scientology certainly meets all three criteria generally used by religious scholars around the world to determine religiosity: (1) a belief in some Ultimate Reality, such as the Supreme or eternal truth that transcends the here and now of the secular world; (2) religious practices directed toward understanding, attaining or communing with this Ultimate Reality; and (3) a community of believers who join together in pursuing this Ultimate Reality.

The Scientology view of an Ultimate Reality transcending the material world includes its concepts of the thetan and the dynamics which include the spiritual world (the Seventh Dynamic) and the Supreme Being (the Eighth Dynamic). The second element can be found in Scientology life-rite ceremonies such as naming, marriage and funeral services, but predominantly in the religious services of auditing and training through which Scientologists increase their spiritual awareness and attain an understanding of both the spiritual world and, ultimately, the Supreme Being. As to the third element, a very vital community of believers can be found at any Church of Scientology at almost any time of the day.

Scientology is thus a religion in the most traditional sense of the term. Scientology helps Man become more aware of his own spiritual nature and that of those around him, and, hence, more aware of God."

source

Think their explanation is a good case for Scientology being a religion?

Last edited:

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
No, I don't recognize their claim of being a religion as valid, although that means little for anyone else but me.

I will acknowledge that they have a doctrine, and that is IMO the best name to call them by.

Religion is a nearly meaningless word, but I want to care for its use nevertheless. For me to call a doctrine religious, I have to see some evidence that it has both a functional grasp of morality and a desire to encourage its development.

Scientology shows neither, unfortunately. The available evidence suggests that it is at its very best a self-help club of sorts.

Deidre

From Wikipedia: ''A religion is an organized collection of beliefs, cultural systems, and world views that relate humanity to an order of existence.''

Using that terminology, then yes...Scientology could be classified as a religion. Of course the term has more layers and depth to it, but at the bare bones level, I'd consider it a religion.

Nietzsche

The Last Prussian
Premium Member
$cientology is easily one of the most disgusting organizations to ever blight the planet with its presence. Its ran by criminals for the sole purpose of extorting money from its victims. The leaders should be locked in a building with all the money they've stolen and burned to death with it.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
$cientology is easily one of the most disgusting organizations to ever blight the planet with its presence. Its ran by criminals for the sole purpose of extorting money from its victims. The leaders should be locked in a building with all the money they've stolen and burned to death with it.
Not to mention the possibility of murder.
Lisa McPherson for starters.

psychoslice

Veteran Member
I don't know about being a religion, but I know its a fictional story by someones great im
Yes that's so true, and they also make anyone with mental problems feel guilty, its just not right.

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
I do not consider a criminal enterprise to be a religion, no.

Further, I heartily recommend that RF strike $cientology from the list of religions we include as the things they have to share are not worth knowing.

psychoslice

Veteran Member

Further, I heartily recommend that RF strike $cientology from the list of religions we include as the things they have to share are not worth knowing.
So you believe all religions are perfect ?.

Saint Frankenstein

Gone
Premium Member
No, it's not a religion, imo. It's a fraud created by a psychopath to bilk money out of the gullible. Hubbard was a thoroughly disgusting individual. He was a liar and a fraudster who enjoyed manipulating and using people. Even Aleister Crowley didn't like him and he ripped off Jack Parsons by stealing his money and his girlfriend after their ridiculous occult working failed. Of course there's also an infamous Playboy interview where Hubbard Jr. says his daddy was actually an Satanist and involved in all kinds of nasty things, and there's plenty more evidence of that besides. It's not that hard to believe, knowing what I do about his life.

Saint Frankenstein

Gone
Premium Member
I always wonder why this cult has so many actors as their members ?.
Propaganda purposes, really. Their members are sent out to get involved with celebrities and to convert them. Tom Cruise was converted by his first wife, Mimi Rogers. Cruise was originally a Catholic and wanted to become a priest. Cruise later tried to get Nicole Kidman to convert to Scientology and that was one of things that resulted in their marriage ending (she's now married to Keith Urban and is still a practicing Catholic). Katie Holmes is another Catholic that Cruise tried to get to convert to Scientology (her family wasn't happy about that, either), which she went along with for a bit until she escaped, divorced his *** and took their daughter with her. She's been threatened and followed by that organization, too.

There's obviously a pattern there. Apparently Cruise is supposed to target Catholic women because he was Catholic. He was also in a relationship with Penelope Cruz, who is a Spanish Catholic. These aren't coincidences. As for John Travolta and the others, I'll have to look into their bios but Cruise's example is striking.

Oh, it appears that Travolta was converted by another actress in 1975:
Scientology Success: John Travolta

How Scientology ensnares celebrities - Salon.com
Scientology 'celebrity strategy': U2's Bono was actively recruited and Brad Pitt nearly joined church | Daily Mail Online
The Courting of Celebrities - LA Times

Last edited:

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.

Agree. It's a defacto terrorist organization right alongside osho.

ShivaFan

Satyameva Jayate
Premium Member
I probably should not make any comment since I do not know a lot about Scientology or Hubbard from the "big picture".

But from the "narrow picture" I did know a Hindu in the past who some how started to get into Scientology, this came about as a process that did NOT present itself as a religion to this Hindu.

In other words, those who tried to hook into this Hindu, they didn't say "we are from the RELIGION of Scientology" or "our faith is Scientology" or such terms you normally associate with a religion.

Yes, I have seen a building near Polk Street near the Mayor's office (San Francisco) called the CHURCH of Scientology. So yes, the word "church" would imply "religion".

But I am telling you, this Hindu who was open to me about his "involvement" in Scientology, never once called it a "religion". He told me what they would say and try and "teach" regarding that practice, never once the word "religion" was used, to me as he explained his involvement, it sounded much more like "self-health" or "personal and psychological development" was the approach they used to hook this Hindu and not religion.

Now perhaps they secretly are a religion, but that is not how they presented themselves to this Hindu ....

SO BY THEIR OWN (Scientology) DEFINITION (or at least how the two "assigned" to this Hindu to bring him into Scientology - and I will get to that in a minute) THEY ARE NOT A RELIGION.

Because if they were a religion, why did they NOT say so to my Hindu friend? So I would say they are not.

Then I started to realize, from what this Hindu was telling me - that apparently two "Scientologists" were ASSIGNED specifically to him. Like they were the police watching a suspect, but not exactly, but it struck me as spooky.

His wife was becoming concerned.

To make a long story short, he is dead now.

He died a Hindu. He was a devotee of Ram.