• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is Religion More About Community than About Belief for Most People?

EverChanging

It seems to me that for most people, belonging to a community is more important to them than the beliefs of their religion. Relatively few people seem to be as enthusiastic about their religion's beliefs as they are about meeting up with their friends and acquaintances for services, etc.

Please note. I'm talking about most people here, and not specifically about members of RF. I think RFers are probably more interested in beliefs than most people because, basically, this forum is for discussing beliefs. But the average religious person seems more interested in community to me than to his or her religion's belief system.

What do you think?

There are some good responses on this thread -- people are in these communities for a mix of reasons and sometimes one predominates over the other, and the balance can shift.

I primarily joined my own religious community for spiritual reasons. Those reasons still stand, but as my life has become less eventful after college I have relied more and more on the community for social support. As to belief, I am not much of a believer. I tend to think of the religious beliefs and rituals of the community as like a great story or mythos, or even a useful fiction, and I derive how I am supposed to live my life based on what I get out of that story. I believe in that sense -- or sometimes suspend disbelief or reinterpret.

I have my own private religious practices and rituals, but nothing beats having a community of people to be there for you in your time of need, to support you and care about you, to be there for you in death. The Church is always there for me. And the Episcopal Church in particular will accept people on the fringes like myself.

missmay

That may or may not be an accurate reading of the thoughts of the historical Jesus (whose existence remains dubious to me), but it sure does not seem representative of actual Christian communities as they are generally understood.

Most Christians that I know - as a matter of fact, most people that I know, period - seem to think that it is actually a bit rude to emphasize their beliefs over the general well being of the community.

Edited to add: There is also the not-inconsiderable matter that the specific quote that you provided is among the hardest to reconcile with what is generally understood to be Christian doctrine.
I think Corynski's point was valid. According to Jesus, (and also very much to his disciples and followers), following God is more important than following people/culture. And since family are usually the ones that we are the closest too, and have the most influence in our lives, Jesus was warning us about how tempting it is to put good feelings, comfort/security and ease above doing what was right in God's eyes. That's why God told the Israelites that they needed to not intermarry with people of the immoral cultures of that time, because he knew how easily humans can be influenced by other people. Jesus was emphazing the power of God over the power of people over our lives..meaning that our natural selves tend do what ever feels good and gives us comfort and that it takes a supernatural power to overcome the natural (and he was also emphasizing that he was the Messiah!) Jesus was not saying that one should alienate family members for selfish reasons, or unimportant differences in their faith, but if it came down to a choice between God and family, we should always choose God first. So this scripture doesn't conflict with other Christian teachings..it actually magnfies the message of the Gospel.

corynski

Reality First!
Premium Member
Wrong. We have eye witness accounts of Jesus, His death and His resurrection. Unbelievers just choose to dismiss and disbelieve them.
But those are all questionable references, obviously. Jesus also repeatedly said that he was coming 'right back' before his followers would pass away......
And how did Jesus conceal his divinity as he was growing up?

EverChanging

But those are all questionable references, obviously. Jesus also repeatedly said that he was coming 'right back' before his followers would pass away......
And how did Jesus conceal his divinity as he was growing up?

Very questionable indeed. Just compare the four resurrection accounts -- they are enormously different. They would not stand up in a court of law, that's for sure. The four gospels are theological statements, not objective accounts.

Vouthon

Dominus Deus tuus ignis consumens est
Staff member
Premium Member
It seems to me that for most people, belonging to a community is more important to them than the beliefs of their religion. Relatively few people seem to be as enthusiastic about their religion's beliefs as they are about meeting up with their friends and acquaintances for services, etc.

Please note. I'm talking about most people here, and not specifically about members of RF. I think RFers are probably more interested in beliefs than most people because, basically, this forum is for discussing beliefs. But the average religious person seems more interested in community to me than to his or her religion's belief system.

What do you think?

Hi Sunstone,

I think that the community aspect is very important but it is also key to the beliefs, certainly in a religion with communalized worship at the heart of its theology like Catholicism or Eastern Orthodox Christianity. So I tend not to separate the two.

For Catholics, the maturation of individual consciences takes place within the context of the universal community localized in the neighbouring parish - the Church and Her sacramental life. We do not grow as Christians apart from the life of the Church. The church community is the constitutive basis of our identity. We are embedded in its life and teachings.

From the archaeological site of Gobekli Tepe, the earliest known example of purpose-built megalithic religious architecture constructed by hunter-gatherers using Stone Age tools, we find that at the very origins of religious belief in human history:

A spiritual concept seems to have linked these sites to each other, suggesting a larger cultic community among PPN mobile groups in Upper Mesopotamia, tied in a network of communication and exchange.

These places form a group of sites belonging to one cult, but their community was not confined to these sites...

This explosion of images, with few forerunners in Palaeolithic art, offers a view of a symbolic world, which had commonalities shared among the residents of PPN sites in Upper Mesopotamia. They are part of a system of symbolic communication that preceded writing as an essential method of storing cultural knowledge (Watkins 2004, 2010; Morenz & Schmidt 2009). These people must have had a highly complicated mythology, including a capacity for abstraction. Following these ideas, we now have more evidence that Cauvin (1994) was right in his belief that the social systems changed before, not as a result of, the shift to farming.

This complex symbolic system continued for millennia. A prerequisite for its long life must have been an extensive network of supra-regional contacts sustained on a regular basis (Watkins 2008, 2010)...The character of Gobekli Tepe makes it clear that these feasts had a strong cultic significance...

In other words, the archaeological and anthropological studies of the earliest known manifestation of ritualized communal religious worship suggests that it served to create a broad cultic community beyond the level of the enclosed tribe and moreover that this was a necessary development for the emergence of settled life and agriculture, leading to the first towns and cities of the first discernible civilizations. Only by giving people a sense of community beyond the restrictive bounds of the tribal family unit, through the device of shared religious beliefs and practices, could the foundations of a settled, civilized life lived in common with people from different "tribes" working together come into existence.

This same emphasis resurfaces much later on in the course of religious history with Jesus, who consciously detached himself from conventional family affiliations in favour of broader, inclusive membership in a cultic community - which we call, "the Church". For example, when informed that his mother and brothers were outside looking for him, Jesus replies that those who comply with God’s will are his brothers and mother (Mark 3: 31-35). This teaching arises from Jesus’ determination to broaden the boundaries of "community". The Parable of the Good Samaritan (Luke 10: 25-37) therefore teaches that our "neighbours" are not merely those who share our ancestry, religious heritage, ethnicity or who belong to our tribe.

This became very important to the Catholic Church i.e. for instance underlying its opposition to consanguineous (cousin) marriages in the Middle Ages:

From Jack Goody’s “The Development of the Family and Marriage in Europe” [pgs. 56-8]:

“...What were the grounds for these extensive prohibitions on consanguineous marriages? The ‘Dictionnaire de Droit Canonique’ (1949) gives three general reasons that have been proposed:

2. The social reason, that distant marriages enlarge the range of social relations. This common ‘anthropological’ notion was put forward by those great theologians, St. Augustine and St. Thomas Aquinas, who recognised that out-marriage multiplied the ties of kinship and thus prevented villages from becoming ‘closed communities’, that is, solidary ones..."

From Avner Greif (“Family structure, institutions, and growth – the origin and implications of Western corporatism”):

“The conquest of the Western Roman Empire by Germanic tribes during the medieval period probably strengthen the importance of kinship groups in Europe. Yet, **the actions of the Church caused the nuclear family — constituting of husband and wife, children, and sometimes a handful of close relatives — to dominate Europe by the late medieval period.

The medieval church instituted marriage laws and practices that undermined large kinship groups*. From as early as the fourth century, it discouraged practices that enlarged the family, such as adoption, polygamy, concubinage, divorce, and remarriage. **It severely prohibited marriages among individuals of the same blood (consanguineous marriages), which had constituted a means to create and maintain kinship groups throughout history. The church also curtailed parents’ abilities to retain kinship ties through arranged marriages by prohibiting unions in which the bride didn’t explicitly agree to the union.*

“European family structures did not evolve monotonically toward the nuclear family nor was their evolution geographically and socially uniform. However, by the late medieval period the nuclear family was dominate.

The practices the church advocated, such as monogamy, are still the norm in Europe. Consanguineous marriages in contemporary Europe account for less than one percent of the total number of marriages. In contrast, the percentage of such marriages in Muslim, Middle Eastern countries, where we also have particularly good data, is much higher – between twenty to fifty percent. Among the anthropologically defined 356 contemporary societies of Euro-Asia and Africa, there is a large and significant negative correlation between Christianization (for at least 500 years) and the absence of clans and lineages; the level of commercialization, class stratification, and state formation are insignificant.”

Also see:

The Origins of Political Order by Francis Fukuyama: review

Starting with the altruistic and co-operative behaviour observable in chimps – often when they repel a marauding rival group – Fukuyama traces the evolution of hunter-gathering bands into tribes, which, with the aid of religion, transformed themselves into states...

In Europe, Fukuyama highlights the role of the Roman Catholic Church in eradicating tribal customs, particularly pertaining to inheritance, and in instituting both the rule of law and separation of temporal and spiritual powers, developments which long preceded the mercantile individualism to which Marx, Weber and Niall Ferguson ascribe so much influence.

The Origins of Political Order: From Prehuman Times to the French Revolution by Francis Fukuyama - Ethics & International Affairs

The problem, though, is that this kind of emotion-laden, status-conscious, pro-social rule-following is in service of the narrow interests of family lineages, such as tribes, or similar networks based on personal connections and mutual back-scratching. Initially, all human groups were based on this kind of patrimonialism, and in the developing world many still are. This lineage favoritism is not based mainly on the inclusive fitness idea of evolutionary biology, says Fukuyama: favoring your fourth cousin in a business deal is all about ancestor worship, not genetic propagation.

Patrimonialism is an easy fit with human nature, but it has serious drawbacks. It limits the scale of social organization, limits the division of labor, impedes economic efficiency, and tends to encourage a violent, self-help approach to solving security problems. A better system has the features described in classic modernization theory: a rational-legal, impersonal administrative state that monopolizes legitimate violence across a large enough territory to sustain an efficient division of labor, while being accountable to a system of rules and to the public. But how do you get one of these states, and what keeps you from sliding back to the universal default setting of patrimonialism?

One of the most interesting parts of Fukuyama’s account explains that one of Europe’s great advantages in developing the modern state was the Catholic church’s assault on the extended familial lineage by backing late marriage and banning divorce, adoption, and marriage with close kin and kin’s widows in order to hinder familial lineages from amassing assets.

Drawing on this argument, Fukuyama shows that the historical sequence of state building is crucial for determining its outcome. In Europe administratively strong states developed late, after institutions of law and accountability, backed by religious ideology, had already gained a toehold in some places, and after Christianity had weakened the familial base of patrimonialism

To this end, the Second Vatican council in its dogmatic constitution on the Church, Lumen Gentium, noted:

http://www.vatican.va/archive/hist_c...entium_en.html

At all times and in every race God has given welcome to whosoever fears Him and does what is right.(85) God, however, does not make men holy and save them merely as individuals, without bond or link between one another. Rather has it pleased Him to bring men together as one people, a people which acknowledges Him in truth and serves Him in holiness...

All men are called to belong to the new people of God. Wherefore this people, while remaining one and only one, is to be spread throughout the whole world and must exist in all ages, so that the decree of God's will may be fulfilled. In the beginning God made human nature one and decreed that all His children, scattered as they were, would finally be gathered together as one...

It follows that though there are many nations there is but one people of God, which takes its citizens from every race, making them citizens of a kingdom which is of a heavenly rather than of an earthly nature. All the faithful, scattered though they be throughout the world, are in communion with each other in the Holy Spirit, and so, he who dwells in Rome knows that the people of India are his members..."

Last edited:

Vouthon

Dominus Deus tuus ignis consumens est
Staff member
Premium Member
That may or may not be an accurate reading of the thoughts of the historical Jesus (whose existence remains dubious to me), but it sure does not seem representative of actual Christian communities as they are generally understood.

Most Christians that I know - as a matter of fact, most people that I know, period - seem to think that it is actually a bit rude to emphasize their beliefs over the general well being of the community.

Edited to add: There is also the not-inconsiderable matter that the specific quote that you provided is among the hardest to reconcile with what is generally understood to be Christian doctrine.

Actually no, that specific quote by @corynski is fundamental to the teaching of Jesus and the collective identity of the Church. The legacy it has exerted upon the subsequent course of European history has been colossal, primarily owing to the fact that the medieval western church took it deadly seriously, and it relates precisely to the OP by @Sunstone. See my post above.

(and FYI there is a clear scholarly consensus that a Jewish millenarian preacher from a humble social class called Jesus, whose earliest teachings can be adequately discerned from the hypothetical Q source underlying the Synoptics, did exist historically and was crucified under the tenure of Pontius Pilate in Judea)

You need to situate this in the context of the first century patriarchal institution of the paterfamilias.

If I might reiterate: Jesus taught that his community, the Church, is open in principle to everyone who adheres to the will of God, as opposed to the restrictive ties of kinship limited to blood relatives that formed the fundamental social bedrock of Jewish and Roman society - indeed of practically all ancient, pre-Christian societies. Thus for Jesus everyone in principle is our kin.

The passage is often misinterpreted as inferring that some family members will believe in Jesus’ message, while others will not, and the resulting division will be along those lines. This is a grave exegetical error.

John Dominic Crossan is correct in noting that all the divisions mentioned are generational in nature, that is inherently hierarchical (older fathers, mothers, and mothers-in-law to younger sons, daughters, and daughters-in-law, respectively). He concludes that Jesus’ repudiation of the traditional family is an effort to undermine the entrenched relationships of power:

“The attack is on the Mediterranean family’s axis of power, which sets father and mother over son, daughter, and daughter-in-law . . . The family is society in miniature . . . It is not just a center of domestic serenity; since it involves power, it invites the abuse of power and it is at that precise point that Jesus attacks it."

Harry Siedentop in the book "Inventing the Individual: The Origins of Western Liberalism" explains how the moral intuitions underpinning Christianity changed the ancient conception of kinship:

Sanctifying the Individual | Allen Mendenhall

Antiquity was marked by a different kind of religion, rooted in kin and tribe. The distinction between public and private had not yet developed; the demarcation was instead between public and domestic.

In this time before Christianity, inequality was an unchallenged virtue, an ultimate good; all morality vested in the paterfamilias, the keeper of the clan. There were no rights as such, not even to life, at least not outside the hierarchical family unit. All human agency was directed toward the preservation and glorification of the household and the lineage of its members, in particular the dominant male hero. Devotion to the family shaped rules about property and ownership; dutiful sexual reproduction and close ties between relatives led to the growth of families and eventually to the corporate associations that, with their shared domestic practices and mores, became nascent cities.

The teachings of Jesus of Nazareth undermined the ancient patriarchal family of the Greek and Roman models by emphasizing the moral agency of individuals and their correlative responsibilities.For I am come to set a man at variance against his father, and the daughter against her mother, and the daughter in law against her mother in law,” Jesus declared, adding that “a man’s foes shall be they of his own household.” Such a statement would have appalled and baffled the ancients with their ancestor worship and their consecration of hearth and home.

The Apostle Paul broadened Jesus’s lessons and instructions to encompass a wider notion of justice grounded in moral equality. He championed a collaborative social order
that would support, nourish, and discipline its members separately and on a case-by-case basis.

The gift of grace was available to anyone who chose to accept it; consequently, everyone possessed a basic dignity that legal institutions had to recognize.

https://newrepublic.com/article/119511/how-liberalism-lost-its-way-religious-roots-ideology

As Siedentop shows, the ancient world was not in the least like the Enlightenment’s understanding of it. Far from nurturing freedom, whether positive or negative, its cultures were shot through with hereditary inequalities of status, opportunity and expectation. Social roles were rigidly prescribed and, in effect, inescapable. Escape would be self-exclusion from the city and that was a kind of living death.

Patriarchy was fundamental to the social order. This was ordained by the household gods; it was the patriarch’s duty to serve them and he derived his authority from this role. The city was an association of families, each with its own cult, not of individuals. The family heads, who were by definition men, were priests as well as citizens.
Women, slaves and the foreign-born, on the other hand, were not citizens and could not aspire to citizenship; the public realm of argument and debate that set the city’s course was not for them.

The next stage in Siedentop’s argument is the most explosive. He shows that the gravedigger of antiquity’s implacable nexus of practices and beliefs was precisely the Christian revelation... For St. Paul, the true architect of the Christian religion, that intervention was inherently egalitarian and individualistic. The fatherhood of God implied the brotherhood of man and (an even more revolutionary implication) the sisterhood of woman.

Last edited:

Daisies4me

I see this often in churches, where although I believe many or most people are there because they do have a genuine belief, it can sometimes become more of a social event over wanting to really learn, worship or be fed spiritually. This is not everyone of course. I tend to be a loner and at the same time desire social interactions. I get frustrated though when I see women judging others women's clothes, hair etc, to such a large degree . I like to look decent for church, but I hate it when women make it into a fashion show, or if people are ascessing people according to status, money, married or single, children no children. When I see these things being more important to people than someone's character, how they think, or what they might have to offer in terms of wisdom or life stories, I get pretty critical and find myself wanting to drop out of the church scene. Its easy when you're comfy in the social scene to lose sight of what's important and why God wants you there.
I was going to a Sunday school class for a while that ran a discussion group about what the sermon was about earlier. I really loved to delve into the discussion and liked the questions being asked, but unfortunately the man who ran it just let certain people chit chat too much and there was only 10 minutes or so to actually discuss the sermon. I remember a guy in the class who wore a patch over his eye and had been injured in the war. He had amazing spiritual insight, but in my opinion it seemed it wasn't appreciated very much in the class. I can only assume it was because he didn't fit in socially as much as the others. Its a huge shame because that is not what the body of Christ is supposed to be about. But this is not all churches.
I have conflicting natures . One, I would love to fit in a social scene, but two, I find myself guarding my individualism. I guess I do that because I don't want to lose sight of why I'm there and fall into the trap of getting clique ish..but then that makes me not fit in very well. Sigh.
I just have to approach going to church as being fed spiritually and somehow being used by God that day, even if it's a small way (or what seems like a small way to me, but maybe isn't small in God's eyes ). My other pet peeve is when I'm really getting into what the pastor is saying and how the Holy Spirit is reaching me at that moment, but then I get frustrated at people sitting around me who yawn, or cough, or start flipping the pages of their Bible out of boredom. Or because people are so social, they want to look at me, or expect me to look at them or acknowledge them constantly while Im trying to focus on the sermon. Drives me nuts lol. Maybe I just need to look harder for another church, because I do miss being socially involved.
(quote)

Hi Missmay
I enjoyed reading your post. And I agree with most of what you are saying, having experienced some of the same issues when searching out the different denominations and congregations over a period of time spent searching for a fulfilling understanding of the God of the Bible and what I determined to be a true study of the Scriptures and their meanings in an attempt to fill my 'spiritual need'.
I found what I was looking for , that started with my accepting a free home Bible study with the local Jehovah's Witnesses in the city that I then resided in. Since then, I have relocated many times to other states, cities, etc., and found that the continuity could be found anywhere I went, and that the focus in on studies in the Scriptures, and learning about God, and His purposes for mankind and the earth. I found myself (not a social butterfly by any means) in a continuing education process with emphasis on Bible study and application rather than a 'social club' environment. No matter where I went, I could walk into a Kingdom Hall, and just pick up where I left off, and be welcomed. I found a continuing education process where there is no paid clergy, and no collection plate ever passed, and no social distinctions.
From reading your post, I wondered to myself if you also may enjoy the continual learning process where the Bible is used as the basis for all teachings, and I get a spiritual lift with each meeting.
I had pretty much given up on religion, thinking it to be hypocritical and oppressive, previously. I was a reluctant student in the beginning , But the things I was learning explained to me why I was so unhappy and disappointed with the previous church experiences.
The local Kingdom Hall is usually listed in every city or town, along with meeting days and times, if you do a search. I would be interested in your thoughts afterward, if you decide to look into it. All visitors are welcomed to come and observe at meetings, and no one is expected to 'join' or do an 'altar call' or be called on to 'introduce themselves' or any of the other things that I experienced when I was looking for a comfortable place to learn about God and the Bible.
Best wishes, and thanks for posting your thoughts.
take care.

(quote)

robocop (actually)

Premium Member
Sorry for the late reply. For many people, religion is a convienent place to go on Sunday (or Friday or Saturday). For instance, there is day care and entertainment.