• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is Religion More About Community than About Belief for Most People?

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
It seems to me that for most people, belonging to a community is more important to them than the beliefs of their religion. Relatively few people seem to be as enthusiastic about their religion's beliefs as they are about meeting up with their friends and acquaintances for services, etc.

Please note. I'm talking about most people here, and not specifically about members of RF. I think RFers are probably more interested in beliefs than most people because, basically, this forum is for discussing beliefs. But the average religious person seems more interested in community to me than to his or her religion's belief system.

What do you think?

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
In my experience in attending a church and in having family members that did the same is that the social aspect took precedence over the religiosity of the meeting.

I recall my mother and grandmother being concerned about what other parishioners would think if they didn't attend mass or another church sanctioned event. In attending UU events seeking others who might share my same beliefs, I found the social aspect to be favored over the religious aspect as well.

As recently as my Vedanta group experiences, I found social acceptance to be a priority over beliefs as well, as they felt compelled to explain to me that they were doing their best to replicate practices taking place in India.

SomeRandom

Still learning to be wise
Staff member
Premium Member
People are social creatures. They like to fit in with their little crowds. People born into a specific religion will often just follow along just because that's just what you do. Especially Eastern Religions, which often treat them like a hereditary ethnicity of sorts.
Religions even emphasize community spirit. Whether that is Christians being encouraged to help the needy like Jesus or the Dharmics teaching one to do one's duty for the good of the community.
And yes, religious services are treated as social outings. My family's Temple insists on everyone staying afterwards for a large feast and chat.

PureX

Veteran Member
It seems to me that for most people, belonging to a community is more important to them than the beliefs of their religion. Relatively few people seem to be as enthusiastic about their religion's beliefs as they are about meeting up with their friends and acquaintances for services, etc.

Please note. I'm talking about most people here, and not specifically about members of RF. I think RFers are probably more interested in beliefs than most people because, basically, this forum is for discussing beliefs. But the average religious person seems more interested in community to me than to his or her religion's belief system.

What do you think?
I think the answer is life-relative. Meaning that when life is quiet, otherwise uneventful, people tend to use religion as a social engagement. But when life's difficulties arise, they turn to their religion for internal help (strength, wisdom, etc.). And if the difficulties become overwhelming, then they turn to their religious community seeking external help.

SabahTheLoner

Master of the Art of Couch Potato Cuddles
Sometimes yes. Humans have adapted to be better off in cooperation than alone. However the solitary ones may find more peace in confirmation of belief without herd conformity.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
It seems to me that for most people, belonging to a community is more important to them than the beliefs of their religion.
I think that is true, and that it is generally for the best that it is so.

Few if any beliefs are quite valuable enough to justify schisms that shatter families and social groups.

Enoch07

It's all a sick freaking joke.
Premium Member

What do you think?

I think a sense of community does play a large part for most ideologues. But this is human nature more than anything. I understand it as an outsider who observes this behavior, but I never been able to perform well within it when I have tried. I am more of a solitary creature, and that's ok.

bobhikes

Nondetermined
Premium Member

What do you think?

I think Religion is about doing things without doing things. So much that is bad or wrong happens around us, so much need is around, religion is an outlet for our confusion. We can pray for gods help with the Mass murders, we can pray for god help with the government. We can give to people in need in a trusted location. Our 5 dollars we are told adds up to 1500 for the African kids. Yes community is apart of it but its the feeling of doing more without doing more that we need. It was our internet of the past.

The reason for Religions collapse is that the internet has taken its place. We can now crowd fund help to other's in need. We can blast the injustices in the world through media, people will see and support us. We can blast government and people will join in. We can even have like minded communities that we cherish on-line. We can even get together with these communities in real life if we need to.

idav

Being
Premium Member

What do you think?
Yes, I found this interesting article that suggests church goers are generally happier particularly on Sunday's while non-church goers see a decline in mood. I believe this to be mainly because of the community and social aspects humans need.
Going to church makes you happy, says Gallup poll | Daily Mail Online

missmay

What do you think?
I see this often in churches, where although I believe many or most people are there because they do have a genuine belief, it can sometimes become more of a social event over wanting to really learn, worship or be fed spiritually. This is not everyone of course. I tend to be a loner and at the same time desire social interactions. I get frustrated though when I see women judging others women's clothes, hair etc, to such a large degree . I like to look decent for church, but I hate it when women make it into a fashion show, or if people are ascessing people according to status, money, married or single, children no children. When I see these things being more important to people than someone's character, how they think, or what they might have to offer in terms of wisdom or life stories, I get pretty critical and find myself wanting to drop out of the church scene. Its easy when you're comfy in the social scene to lose sight of what's important and why God wants you there.
I was going to a Sunday school class for a while that ran a discussion group about what the sermon was about earlier. I really loved to delve into the discussion and liked the questions being asked, but unfortunately the man who ran it just let certain people chit chat too much and there was only 10 minutes or so to actually discuss the sermon. I remember a guy in the class who wore a patch over his eye and had been injured in the war. He had amazing spiritual insight, but in my opinion it seemed it wasn't appreciated very much in the class. I can only assume it was because he didn't fit in socially as much as the others. Its a huge shame because that is not what the body of Christ is supposed to be about. But this is not all churches.
I have conflicting natures . One, I would love to fit in a social scene, but two, I find myself guarding my individualism. I guess I do that because I don't want to lose sight of why I'm there and fall into the trap of getting clique ish..but then that makes me not fit in very well. Sigh.
I just have to approach going to church as being fed spiritually and somehow being used by God that day, even if it's a small way (or what seems like a small way to me, but maybe isn't small in God's eyes ). My other pet peeve is when I'm really getting into what the pastor is saying and how the Holy Spirit is reaching me at that moment, but then I get frustrated at people sitting around me who yawn, or cough, or start flipping the pages of their Bible out of boredom. Or because people are so social, they want to look at me, or expect me to look at them or acknowledge them constantly while Im trying to focus on the sermon. Drives me nuts lol. Maybe I just need to look harder for another church, because I do miss being socially involved.

Last edited:

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member

What do you think?

When I was in The Church, truth and practice reflected those within The Church. So, retreats were not for all christians only catholics. Christians csnt take the Eucharist only catholics. Vis versa. Catholics are told to marry, confess, and commune only in Catholic Church. Whats more Roman Catholics only let Othorodox Catholics take the Eucharist in the Church on Easter and Christmas.

Howevet, if you separate many catholics from the physical Church, connection to christ feels "incomplete." On the other end, many protestants (non-lurturgical believers) are high into self understanding before communal. Baptist will join at services but if youre not studying your bible on your own, youre not sync with the church body.

Nichiren SGI buddhism is high if not defined by community interaction with only SGI and "will be SGI" people.

In general, I notice a lot of cultures need sense of community. In many religions cant survive without it.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member

What do you think?
I don't think it's an either/or. It isn't that they think belief is unimportant; it's that they take it as a given. Belief is the foundation that the community is built on.

Thinking back to my own experience of trying to participate in a Catholic community, the fact that I didn't accept the beliefs definitely created distance between me and the actual Catholics.

arthra

Baha'i

I suppose it depends on your community and you'd probably have to do a "PEW research". A few weekends ago we had a commemoration of the Bicentennial of the Birth of Baha'u'llah in our community and we had coordinated the effort with neighboring communities. About seventy people showed up which was far more people than we had seen for quite some time. We had worked together for at least three month planning and discussing the program. There was a lot of enthusiasm and excitement generated about the event. So I'd have to say we kind of had a renaissance for our community:

Last edited:

idav

Being
Premium Member
I don't think it's an either/or. It isn't that they think belief is unimportant; it's that they take it as a given. Belief is the foundation that the community is built on.

Thinking back to my own experience of trying to participate in a Catholic community, the fact that I didn't accept the beliefs definitely created distance between me and the actual Catholics.
Personally I go to church for the community. I guess it could be based on the religion. When I go to UU Services it is definitely about community as all the people there have various beliefs.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I think a sense of community does play a large part for most ideologues. But this is human nature more than anything. I understand it as an outsider who observes this behavior, but I never been able to perform well within it when I have tried. I am more of a solitary creature, and that's ok.
I find that the great thing about atheism is the near total lack of community.

I think beliefs are also important. Not so much in the sense of individual beliefs, which are quite flexible, but the broader worldview which links to sense of self-identity.

Many atheist/irreligious 'converts' argue that they freed themselves from myths when they abandon their religion, but they really just substituted one meta-narrative for another.

Community is certainly relevant for some people, but, for our psychological well being, we all need to make sense of the world somehow and for many people religion is better for them than the alternatives.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I agree. I'd bet your average parishioner would make a pretty poor showing if quizzed on the theological particulars of his denomination.

We're a tribal species. We seem very drawn to solidarity building exercises -- religious services, sports games, political events, &c.