• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is prostitution wrong?

Sonic247

Okay so what about mail order brides. I actually think that is okay, unless the girls are forced into it. It seems like it could be a risk though... Of course I don't think it's literally "mail order brides" like it used to be. But in a sense people are buying brides with a green card.

Levite

Higher and Higher
There is plenty of opposition to prostitution in many religions and society as a whole but is it really wrong?

I'm thinking about both sides of the profession - the customers and the workers.

Surely if you want to provide it then that is your choice and if you want to partake in the services offered then that is your choice also. Obviously free will and standard consent issues apply.

any views?

I don't think it necessarily has to be wrong. I think even at best, it's kind of a shame, in the sense that it commodifies what should be a joyful and meaningful experience between two people who at least genuinely like one another. But cheap doesn't mean wrong, it just means less than ideal.

If it's truly consensual, and being engaged in by willing and interested parties, then it is what it is. It doesn't have to be any more "wrong" than anytime someone sells their physical or mental or emotional skills, presence, and time for any reason, in any context.

Me Myself

Back to my username
I think it should be regulated, but I don't see why it's illegal.

More or less this is my point of view.

About the problem with the women that "are forced to do it" :

There are also really expensive prostitues that I doubt are having a bad time with their profesions.

edit:

If it's truly consensual, and being engaged in by willing and interested parties, then it is what it is. It doesn't have to be any more "wrong" than anytime someone sells their physical or mental or emotional skills, presence, and time for any reason, in any context.

and that too I agree :)

Sonic247

It's basically like Esau. If you get hungry enough, you may be willing to sell your birthright. Ahh maybe arranged marriages were good at least in the sense that you knew how long you had to wait. But then again although I wife would be nice I have a good life already, and less to worry about in a sense.

nnmartin

Is there any difference between a prostitute and a woman who goes out with a man just because they are rich or famous?

Same thing if you ask me.

McBell

mantra-chanting henotheistic snake handler
Unfortunately that is true. Off course it's wrong, but people probably figure at least this way no ones heart breaks. Although on the other hand the business probably produces broken hearts. If a woman's husband sleeps with a prostitute is she partly to blame if she is "advertising" to him. I would say so, at least partially. I think most people would say it's just his fault, but people are weak already, why make things harder on them. Even in this present day I still think there is something beautiful in a traditional marriage (I mean there can be)but it almost seems like a fragile plant that rarely grows through the concrete of this society. Is it our covetousness, or maybe are hardheartedness, or lust, or laziness... who knows.
I find it extremely interesting how some people try to blame the prostitute, even if only "partially", for the husbands decision to cheat on his wife.

I wonder why these people do not look at the fact that if there was no demand for prostitutes...

Next you will be saying that women should be completely covered from head to toe at all times less they tempt a weak husband, right?

McBell

It's basically like Esau. If you get hungry enough, you may be willing to sell your birthright. Ahh maybe arranged marriages were good at least in the sense that you knew how long you had to wait. But then again although I wife would be nice I have a good life already, and less to worry about in a sense.
How is an arranged marriage any different than slavery?

gnomon

There is plenty of opposition to prostitution in many religions and society as a whole but is it really wrong?

I'm thinking about both sides of the profession - the customers and the workers.

Surely if you want to provide it then that is your choice and if you want to partake in the services offered then that is your choice also. Obviously free will and standard consent issues apply.

any views?

Forced prostitution is wrong. Slavery in the modern world is a serious problem and I would say more problematic that the colonial slave trade.

Add to that the numerous cultures out there today who treat women as second class citizens in which they are treated as nothing more than cultural prostitutes I would say the problem is severe.

However, I would say that a regulated industry is preferable to a black market industry. I find vice squads in the Western cultures to be a waste of resources and that well regulated industry to be preferable to a black market industry in which are more exploited. Add to that the notion that regulated industry would provide women a better method to getting out than a black market one only adds to the notion that regulated prostitution industry is more desirable.

lunakilo

any views?
Prostitution is legal in my country.

I don't really have a moral problem with that in it self, but there are certain side effects related to this.

One thing is that it encourages human trafficing of sex slaves.
Prostetution is legal, but pimping is not, but since the risk of get caught is small it if very proffitable to lure a bunch of nigerian woman to come work for you in this strange fra away country where you have total control over them since they are illegal immigrants.

In a situation where the customers and the workers are both fine with the arrangement then I see no problem with it, but how often is that the case?

The point I am trying to make is that whether prostitution is wrong or not is not just a question of whether it is morally wrong or not.

Leonardo

and regulated/certified to be free of STDs (such regulation also doesn't exist). Both of these things not existing means prostitution = pointless waste of time and money at best, dangerous at worst.

XXX industry seems to self regulate itself and countries like Mexico does regulate it and there isn't any epidemic of HIV or other STDs.

McBell

How is marrying someone solely for money that much different to prostitution?
As I have recently found out in another thread, marriage prevents diseases, prevents sleeping with other people, prevents relationships from going sour, and prevents a few other things.
All by some mysteriously magical force.
I suspect that it is god himself who protects marriage and those in it.

Prostitutes have no such protections.

McBell

It seems somewhat silly to to me pay someone for sex. It's gotten easily enough without paying money. If one is going to pay for it, it better be worth the cost. Worth the cost means I expect them to be a credited graduate of a pleasure school (which don't exist) and regulated/certified to be free of STDs (such regulation also doesn't exist). Both of these things not existing means prostitution = pointless waste of time and money at best, dangerous at worst.
Perhaps you should go visit:
10511 Homestead Road
Pahrump, Nevada 89061

McBell

According to Manswers, jolly St. Nicholas is the saint of the working women :cool: Merry Christmas, prostitutes!
But they do not get the protections of marriage.

Unless of course they are married.

Meow Mix

Chatte Féministe
But they do not get the protections of marriage.

Unless of course they are married.

Hmm. Maybe not. But maybe St. Nicholas has magic protections of his own.

Technically when I worked as a stripper that put me under his field, and I think I did okay. Thanks for your magic Santa!

JacobEzra.

Dr. Greenthumb
Its a shame when one needs to sell their body into exploitation as such.

I don't think throwing them into jail is the right thing to do though, but to get them counseling and help.