• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is progressive revelation believable?

Vouthon

Dominus Deus tuus ignis consumens est
Staff member
Premium Member
Also, in terms of ceremonial laws:

It is arguable that even Buddhism - which has plumbed the depths of the human subconscious, ethico-psychological impulses and the roots of desire to a greater, more analytical and systematic degree than any other creed, and so could justly be described as the most interior-focused religion - has more room for 'temporality' than Christianity.

I say this, inasmuch as the Patimokkha (code of monastic discipline) in the Tipitaka lays out some detailed rules on: 'ritual purity' for monks, the Sanghadisesas (i.e. "[do not] discharge semen or get someone to discharge your semen, except while dreaming"), he Sekhiyavatta (on how a monk is to hold himself), the Bhojanapatisamyutta (rules on food and hygiene i.e. "I will receive curries in the right proportion to the rice, "I will receive pindapāta food only until it reached the rim of the bowl", "I will not eat stuffing out my cheeks"), the Dhammadesanāpatisamyutta (rules on who you can & can't teach Dharma to i.e. "I will not teach Dhamma to someone who has an umbrella in his hand") and the Pakinnaka (a set of miscellaneous i.e. toilet etiquette "I will not defecate or urinate while standing").

From the very beginning the Buddha in the Pali Canon also had a subsidiary 'legal-political' outlook in providing explicit legal guidelines / laws of an elementary form in the Cakkavatti-Sīhanāda Sutta, Mahāsudassana Sutta, the Aggañña Sutta, the Mahāparinibbāna Sutta and the Jātaka tales for a cakkavatti or 'wheel-turning monarch' (akin to the Islamic caliph, or the Jewish 'Davidic' king):

"a king who advances the dhamma through his governance. [...] There is widespread agreement among scholars that this represents a novel theory in the history of indian political thought, often referred to as the two Wheels of Dhamma—the identification of both religious life and political/ social life as being governed by the same underlying moral laws, and the assertion that ultimately the temporal powers were subordinate to the spiritual powers...later Buddhist thinkers identified King Aśoka (died ca. 238 b.c.e.) as having been a wheel-turning monarch"

(MJ Moore, Political Theory in Canonical Buddhism, p.39)

As the Buddhist scholar Balkrishna Gokhale explains: “in the second phase of theorizing [the Cakkavatti-Sīhanāda Sutta] the early Buddhists endeavored to use the state to further the ends of dhamma by asserting the supremacy of the dhamma over āṇā [the power of the state].

Some examples of counsels the Buddha gave to kings in this regard in the Digha-nikaya:

http://www.pass.va/content/dam/scienzesociali/pdf/acta11/acta11-villacorta.pdf

There is a need for an organized distribution of wealth (dana-samibhaga). This can be implemented, for instance, through a taxation policy in which the king, during bad harvests, reduces taxes or helps the farmers to pay them. The last duty of the state is that its laws and policies must be based on the Dhamma. The Digha-nikaya prescribes that the ruler must consult religious teachers and philosophers, to ensure that the creation of favorable social and political conditions would provide opportunities for Nibbana for everyone.

In dealing with other countries, the value of peace and tolerance is intrinsic in the social philosophy of Theravada Buddhism. It derives itself from the Buddha’s compassion for all beings and his recognition of universal equality which are contained in the Buddhist texts – Dhammapada, Samyutta-nikaya, Angutarra-nikaya and Majjima-nikaya

That's not to deny that in its essential spiritual teachings, the Four Noble Truths (i.e. 1. life is suffering, 2. suffering is caused by clinging, 3. one can stop suffering if one stops clinging, and 4. one can stop clinging by living according to Noble Eightfold Path), Buddhism is largely about individual seekers gathered in a sangha (monastic community) becoming arihants freed from samsara. In this sense, it definitely puts "inner" over "outer" as in Christianity, arguably even better than Christianity, certainly in its psychological sophistication. Likewise, Buddhism recognises no corporal punishments or capital punishments.

But in spite of this pronounced interiority, Buddhism still has more 'laws' or at least 'temporal advice for wheel-turning kings' to pass law in keeping with the Dharma, than anything comparable in the New Testament - which has Jesus curtly state: "My kingdom is not of this world" (John 18:36) and eschew revealed law, corporal punishments, as well as just tartly condemning "the kings of the nations [...] who are supposed to rule [their subjects but] become tyrants, and their superiors become dictators over them" (Mark 10:42) .etc.. etc.

Jesus likewise spurned the kinds of ceremonial rules (i.e. on hygiene, food rules, purity etc.) that one finds abundantly in Judaism, Islam, the Baha'i Faith and even (to a lesser but still noticeable degree) in Buddhism i.e.:

"As Jesus was speaking, a Pharisee invited Him to dine with him; so He went in and reclined at the table. But the Pharisee was surprised to see that Jesus did not first wash before the meal. “Now then,” said the Lord, “you Pharisees clean the outside of the cup and dish, but inside you are full of greed and wickedness. You fools! Did not the One who made the outside make the inside as well? But give as alms the things that are within you, and you will see that everything is clean for you." (Luke 11:37-40)

"Then came together to him the Pharisees, and certain of the scribes, which came from Jerusalem. And when they saw some of his disciples eat bread with defiled, that is to say, with unwashed, hands, they found fault. For the Pharisees, and all the Jews, except they wash their hands oft, eat not, holding the tradition of the elders. And when they come from the market, except they wash, they eat not. And many other things there be, which they have received to hold, as the washing of cups, and pots, brazen vessels, and of tables. Then the Pharisees and scribes asked him, "Why walk not your disciples according to the tradition of the elders, but eat bread with unwashed hands?" [...]

And when he had called all the people to him, he said to them, "Listen to me every one of you, and understand: There is nothing from without a man, that entering into him can defile him: but the things which come out of him, those are they that defile the man. If any man have ears to hear, let him hear." In saying this, Jesus declared all foods clean.

And when he was entered into the house from the people, his disciples asked him concerning the parable. And he said to them, "Do you not perceive, that whatever thing from without enters into the man, it cannot defile him; Because it enters not into his heart, but into the belly, and goes out into the sewer, purging all meats? And he said, "That which comes out of the man, that defiles the man. For from within, out of the heart of men, proceed evil thoughts, adulteries, fornications, murders, Thefts, covetousness, wickedness, deceit, lasciviousness, an evil eye, blasphemy, pride, foolishness: All these evil things come from within, and defile the man
".

(Mark 7)

Even in the Baha'i Faith, one finds detailed hygiene / ceremonial / purity rules as in Judaism and Islam:

"It hath been enjoined upon you to... bathe yourselves each week in water that covereth your bodies, and to clean yourselves with whatsoever ye have formerly employed.... Immerse yourselves in clean water; it is not permissible to bathe yourselves in water that hath already been used."

((Bahá'u'lláh, The Kitáb-i-Aqdas, pages 57-58)​

And on things like the length of hair that is acceptable:

"Shave not your heads; God hath adorned them with hair, and in this there are signs from the Lord of creation to those who reflect upon the requirements of nature. He, verily, is the God of strength and wisdom. Notwithstanding, it is not seemly to let the hair pass beyond the limit of the ears. Thus hath it been decreed by Him Who is the Lord of all worlds." (Baha'u'llah, The Kitab-i Aqdas)​

And dietary rules etc. This is the same in Judaism and Islam i.e. Islamic laws on toilet etiquette / hygiene:

"Not to face the qiblah (direction of prayer, i.e. the Kabah which was built in Makkah by Ibrahim, upon whom be peace, as commanded by Allaah) when urinating or defecating. This is out of respect for the Qiblah and for the symbols and rituals of Allaah. The Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: When any one of you sits down to answer the call of nature, he should not face the qiblah or turn his back towards it"

(Sahih Muslim, 389).

As alluded to above, it is the New Testament's pronounced distrust of the "things of God" being bound up with the "things of Caesar" (as Jesus puts it in the famous adage "Render to Caesar the things that are Caesar's; and to God the things that are God's" (Matthew 22:21) that has indelibly haunted Christian-offspring societies and shaped the West's more limited role for religion compared to other civilizations (i.e. as a largely personal - social affair distinguished from law, a strictly demarcated 'religious' sphere that is spiritual. Important and powerful at times but still distinct).

This is not an understanding of religio that has much traction outside Christianity (as much as Westerners often bullishly assume this to be the case in their dealings with other cultures) - but it is a distinguishing feature of Christian doctrine, and one that isn't easily reconciled with the religious worldview in the Torah, Sunnah or Aqdas, in my humble estimation, nor with a schema of progressive revelation which situates Christianity as 'peg' on the ladder of religious enlightenment following Judaism and preceding Islam.

Most Christian Westerners are bewildered by the idea, for example, that a "religion" can or should dictate a special dress code, diet, purity rituals, civil laws, criminal justice and a great many other things that extend beyond "faith and morals" - because this not how the New Testament or Christian theology defines the role of 'religion' (with the exception of some later Orthodox Christians i.e. Byzantine veiling, Amish).

In the Islamic world, by contrast, most Muslims are bewildered by the idea that a "religion" could have nothing to say about such facets of human living - because the Qur'an and Hadith have intricate laws dealing with clothing, diet (halal), ritual purity and hygiene, inheritance, criminal punishment (hudud) and so on. The respective worldviews and assumptions about religion's "role" are just different. Its a case of diverse understanding of religion's role and nature, as opposed to one worldview 'progressing' upon the other. It seems to go beyond just the accidental / secondary and get to the root of what people think religion is.

In this regard, understandings of 'religion' cross-culturally are demonstrably not identical so far as I can tell. Different cultures expect different things from 'religion' and this arises from the religions themselves.

I appreciate any answers that you can provide Adrian and look forward to your reply.

Last edited:

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
Ya know... He and I both have distinctly different academic knowledge on the subject. I do not dispute his knowledge about God from a Baha'i perspective in spite of his reticence to acknowledge my knowledge about Jewish Theology and Practice.

The simple answer is: We're both correct. The only difference is:

His God is not the God of Abraham.

Thoughts?
I am coming in late so I do not know the context of this conversation.....
Can you explain what you mean by "His God is not the God of Abraham." ?

Dawnofhope

Non-Proselytizing Baha'i
Staff member
Premium Member
At risk of re-opening debate, I would like to respectfully say:

There is a simple solution to the difference of opinion between @shunyadragon and myself regarding whether or not God is central in Judaism.

He says "No, God is not central in Judaism."

I say "Yes, God is central in Judaism"

Ya know... He and I both have distinctly different academic knowledge on the subject. I do not dispute his knowledge about God from a Baha'i perspective in spite of his reticence to acknowledge my knowledge about Jewish Theology and Practice.

The simple answer is: We're both correct. The only difference is:

His God is not the God of Abraham.

Thoughts?

@shunyadragon, thoughts?

You will find a diversity of Baha’is here with a different perspectives.

I take the approach of dealing with what I know, not what I don’t.

Baha’is believe Moses was a Manifestation of God. The Torah is seen as being mostly authentic, under Gods protection and to convey all God wishes through Moses. That doesn’t mean we should take it literally. There are many references to the Hebrew Prophets in the Baha’i Writings including Isaiah, Daniel and Ezekiel.

Abdul-Bahá teaches that when two people argue about religion both are wrong.

The Baha’i Writings have a strong emphasis on love, patience, compassion and forgiveness.

That’s what I know. I understand Judaism to be founded on Moses and the Torah, along with the Hebrew Prophets. So along with the virtues of human decency we all share we have shared spiritual ancestors. If a Baha’i and Jew can’t talk to each other one or both needs to work on being a better person.:)

Neuropteron

Man's understanding of the universe and his relationship to it is progressive, therefore the Gods and religions created by man are also progressive.

... the beliefs he creates will change to keep pace.

I see what you mean.
Almost anything that men creates is subject to progression, this applies to man made religion.
I was referring to revelations and truth that were divinely inspired, and according to the Bible are constant and unchangeable.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
Of course you do. But guess what, that's not Judaism.

So, we're talking about a different God altogether.
With all due respect, we are talking about the same God because there is only one true God.
We just have different conceptions of God.
Your God is Baha'ullah. And if there is an attempt to equate the two...
No, Baha'is do not believe that Baha'u'llah was God. Baha'u'llah adamantly denied being God.
Your scripture says it, you believe it. That's why my evidence is not valued and your assessment of your own credibility has been so inflated. Your prophet said it; you believe it. Fine.
Why do you believe what you believe, if it is not in your scripture? :confused:
Don't you have a Prophet or prophets you believe in?
It seems to me, in this thread, You are operating as a believer. It's really fine now that I understand it.
Aren't you also operating as a believer? :confused:

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
I see what you mean.
Almost anything that men creates is subject to progression, this applies to man made religion.
I was referring to revelations and truth that were divinely inspired, and according to the Bible are constant and unchangeable.

Why would God who knows the truth provide a progressive revelation?
Why not provide the truth at the beginning?

Certainly God could do this. I don't see any real benefit to progressive revelation.

dybmh

דניאל יוסף בן מאיר הירש
It's My Birthday!
With all due respect, we are talking about the same God because there is only one true God.
We just have different conceptions of God.
Well... I feel like a broken record... that makes sense.
No, Baha'is do not believe that Baha'u'llah was God. Baha'u'llah adamantly denied being God.
Good to know. Thank you.

Why do you believe what you believe, if it is not in your scripture? :confused:
Don't you have a Prophet or prophets you believe in?
Of course.. but I never use that as evidence to support my claims in a debate ( well I try not to at least ). And if I did, I would never claim that the words of a Prophet is stronger evidence that actual real word objective data. Isn't that one of principles of the Baha'i? To a Baha'i: Real world objective data is valued?
Aren't you also operating as a believer? :confused:
No. All the evidence I brought to support the claim that "God is Central in Judaism" is objectively verifiable data.

Regarding my claim/position that "Judaism does not describe Jews as Superior"... , I think, it's debatable, but I assure you I have mountains of data to support my position. And I'm pretty sure there are only a few verses which support the counter argument.

Regarding the claim that "Judaism teaches that it is the only true religion". I was being honest. I have never heard that before. So I haven't had time to research it all. I'm still too busy trying to get @shunyadragon to apologize and demonstrate some academic integrity.

Last edited:

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
Why would God who knows the truth provide a progressive revelation?
Why not provide the truth at the beginning?
Because humans were not ready to know all the truth all at once. Truth had to be revealed in stages, as humans evolved and were ready to hear it..... That is why Jesus said:

John 16:12-13 I have yet many things to say unto you, but ye cannot bear them now. Howbeit when he, the Spirit of truth, is come, he will guide you into all truth: for he shall not speak of himself; but whatsoever he shall hear, that shall he speak: and he will shew you things to come

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
Of course.. but I never use that as evidence to support my claims in a debate ( well I try not to at least ). And if I did, I would never claim that the words of a Prophet is stronger evidence that actual real word objective data. Isn't that one of principles of the Baha'i? To a Baha'i: Real world objective data is valued?
I would have to know what you mean by real world objective data.
And here is the problem with objective data..... Anything we look at in the world is interpreted subjectively.
No. All the evidence I brought to support the claim that "God is Central in Judaism" is objectively verifiable data.
First off, I do not know what you mean by "God is Central in Judaism."
Secondly, I do not know how you could verify that objectively.
Are you referring to how the Jews live their lives?
Whether or not Judaism teaches that Jews are superior, I think, is debatable, but I assure you I have mountains of data to support my position. And I'm pretty sure there are only a few verses which support the counter argument.
Support your position that Jews are superior? :confused:

Just to let you know, Baha'is do not believe that the followers represent the religion. Baha'u'llah represents the religion because He was the Founder. This short article that came in today explains that in no uncertain terms:

Baha’u’llah: the Founder of the Baha’i Faith

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member
You said it, and it's a direct quote. We argued about it back and forth... so.. please feel free to clarify.

Out of context

I would honestly appreciate it. It should not be surprising that my opinion of the Baha'i faith has been compromised because of what you said, and apparently what your prophet says about Judaism.

Do you believe the God of Abraham is exclusively the God of Judaism?

I believe the God of Abraham is the God of Judaism, Christianity, Islam, Baha'i Faith, and actually all the religions of the world called by different names. The God of Abraham is the God of Creation and all of humanity. This is the teaching of Progressive Revelation.

od19g6

I'll try to answer your question the best I can.

Technically, what would change 'ages' so that a signal would be given for new divine information to be presented?

Technically the signal for when each age comes is when a new Manifestation appears / declare there mission, which is usually a 1000 years.

Isn't 'human progress' through the expansion of ideas and technology actually relative to time and divine wills? Or would all these things, which often appear as secular advents that are often resisted by religion, be the things that literally 'change ages' and signal a need for new divine information.

We believe that with the coming of each Manifestation is every age new and creative energies are released into the world, even though the world as a whole is not aware of it.

We as baha'is also believe in the harmony of science and spirituality, that the two are different but correct ways of learning about the human reality.

Abdu'l-baha, the son and successor of Baha'u'llah says:

'Religion and science are the two wings upon which man's intelligence can soar into the heights, with which the human soul can progress. It is not possible to fly with one wing alone! Should a man try to fly with the wing of religion alone he would quickly fall into the quagmire of superstition, whilst on the other hand, with the wing of science alone he would also make no progress, but fall into the despairing slough of materialism'.

dybmh

דניאל יוסף בן מאיר הירש
It's My Birthday!
I would have to know what you mean by real world objective data.
Well that's easy. All we need to do is look at the Reform Judaism. It's prayer book, and how the execute the ritual that is "Central" to their practice.

It is easy to do...

But not only that... that's just one very large subset of the evidence I can bring which will absolutley **bury** any claim that God is not central in Judaism.

If the claim is adjusted to: "God is not central to most Jewish people." Then it has merit and can be supported by facts.

But as soon as someone... anyone... even a manifestation of God makes claims about Judaism... that God is not central...

There are only three options:

1) We're not talking about the same God ( that's what I think is happening. it's the simplest explanation ).

2) The person making the claim is clueless. ( that's what's happening; it is apparent )

3) Circumstances in that person's life experiences are rendering a subjective opinion which actually is only true in that time and place ( That's what I think happened with Islam, Christianity, Baha'ullah, and many many others )

dybmh

דניאל יוסף בן מאיר הירש
It's My Birthday!
First off, I do not know what you mean by "God is Central in Judaism."
Ok. that's simple.

Three tenets of Reform Judaism, Torah, God Israel.
Seven tenets of Conservative Judaism... belief in God is in there. I don;t have all sever memorized.
613 commandments that are valued / honored / respected in Orthodox Judaism
613 commandments + all the Minhagim of the Ultra-Orthodox.

Plus... the onus is on @shunyadragon . he made the claim. And doubled-down on it. That's the truth.

Also.. don't you feel that God is Central in the Baha'i Faith. I mean we are speaking the same language, I presume.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
Well that's easy. All we need to do is look at the Reform Judaism. It's prayer book, and how the execute the ritual that is "Central" to their practice.

It is easy to do...

But not only that... that's just one very large subset of the evidence I can bring which will absolutley **bury** any claim that God is not central in Judaism.

If the claim is adjusted to: "God is not central to most Jewish people." Then it has merit and can be supported by facts.
I would never claim that God is not central to Judaism. God is probably more central to Judaism than to any other religion. God is also central to Christianity but they wavered on their path in worshiping Jesus as God.
God is central to Islam the same way that God is central to Judaism.
God is central to the Baha'i Faith but we also have many other beliefs and practices.

"God is not central to most Jewish people" is a different claim and it has merit because not all Jewish people believe in God and some are agnostic.
But as soon as someone... anyone... even a manifestation of God makes claims about Judaism... that God is not central...

There are only three options:
1) We're not talking about the same God ( that's what I think is happening. it's the simplest explanation ).
2) The person making the claim is clueless. ( that's what's happening; it is apparent )
3) Circumstances in that person's life experiences are rendering a subjective opinion which actually is only true in that time and place ( That's what I think happened with Islam, Christianity, Baha'ullah, and many many others )
That Baha'i Faith certainly does not make the claim that God is not central to Judaism.
Do you think that Christianity and Islam make the claim that God is not central to Judaism?

dybmh

דניאל יוסף בן מאיר הירש
It's My Birthday!
Just to let you know, Baha'is do not believe that the followers represent the religion. Baha'u'llah represents the religion because He was the Founder. This short article that came in today explains that in no uncertain terms:

Baha’u’llah: the Founder of the Baha’i Faith
OK.

Again. this makes perfect sense. And that's why I have no hard feelings towards you or anyone when they cite their scripture which criticizes Jewish people and Jewish practices. It doesn't matter if it's Islam, Christianity, Atheism, or Baha'i.

It totally takes the pressure off. It's not the person making the claim "Judaism claims to be racially superior". It's Baha'ullah who is Anti-Jewish. And that's a lot less emotionally loaded.

So basically as long as people quote the Baha'i text
The fact that very few Jews believe in the Genesis/ Exodus description of their history also reflects the disconnect between belief and scripture in the contemporary world. Also the fact that only a small subset of Jews practice traditional Judaism, also negates any view of close to 100%.

Guess what? @Trailblazer , @shunyadragon is wrong here. It's a false equivalence. Huge.

Just because a Jewish person does not believe in the Genesis Exodus Story does not mean that "God is not Central in Judaism".

All I have to do, is pull out a prayer book That the reform Movement uses now. I think many use Siddur Sim Shalom... but it doesn't matter. I basically know the service by heart. Basically... large portions of it at least.

This prayer book, these prayers I'm talking about... they are recited weekly, often multiple times a week by Jewish people. It is representative of what Reform Judaism "The Religion" perceives as central to it's theology. Now....

Let's be fair. Just because it's in the prayer book, doesn't mean that people believe it. I get that.

Please take a look at what I said to @shunyadragon in this thread.

Don't be confused by the way most Jewish people **practice** Judaism. Jewish Theology and Culture has a strong central belief in G-d. It's just not apparent from the outside.

Trailblazer, do you see how I am trying... trying so hard to be fair. I am trying to turn this into something which is productive. And that means separating **practice** from theory and theology.

@shunyadragon is looking at the practice and equating it to the theology. And that is the logical failure of his argument. it is completely subjective.

I can bring you books, prayers, practices, anything you desire to prove that God is Central in Judaism.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
Ok. that's simple.

Three tenets of Reform Judaism, Torah, God Israel.
Seven tenets of Conservative Judaism... belief in God is in there. I don;t have all sever memorized.
613 commandments that are valued / honored / respected in Orthodox Judaism
613 commandments + all the Minhagim of the Ultra-Orthodox.

Plus... the onus is on @shunyadragon . he made the claim. And doubled-down on it. That's the truth.
I do not know what he said but it is obvious to me that God is central to Judaism, IF they are believers in God.
Also.. don't you feel that God is Central in the Baha'i Faith. I mean we are speaking the same language, I presume.
I kind of understated that in my previous post. God is central in the Baha'i Faith as summed up by this prayer:

Short Obligatory Prayer

TO BE RECITED ONCE IN TWENTY FOUR HOURS, AT NOON.

I bear witness, O my God, that Thou hast created me to know Thee and to worship Thee. I testify, at this moment, to my powerlessness and to Thy might, to my poverty and to Thy wealth.

There is none other God but Thee, the Help in Peril, the Self-Subsisting.

Bahá’u’lláh

Short Obligatory Prayer