• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is philosphy really DEAD? or completly migrated into 'religion'?

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
Given that the vast majority of the global population is religious, no, reversing them wouldn't be closer to "the truth."

Personally, I don't see much of a distinction between the two disciplines aside from an academic one. Whether my worldview is called a religion or a philosophy is a matter of semantics and has little or no impact on its function in my life. I suppose how similar they are, though, depends somewhat on your approach to the two subjects.

Gjallarhorn

N'yog-Sothep
EXPLAIN!

you mean religion is dead? I'm not so sure about that.
Religion is dead in that a majority of the "religious" are just paying lip service. Most people who proclaim belief in gods, spirits, or an afterlife would be genuinely shocked to experience these things first-hand. Many people believe in spirits, but those that do often deny all cases of haunting when taken individually. Many people believe in hell but do nothing to avoid it. Many people talk of heaven, but on their death beds fight eternal peace.

Philosophy is strong in its own right, mainly because it doesn't fully hinge on answers. Religion has chosen to hide among its ranks.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
Philosophy is about reasonable, natural explanations for natural events. Each time someone on this forum demands a reasonable, natural explanation for natural events, they are reflecting the principle that got philosophy started 2,500 years ago. Philosophy is just as dead as it is rare for anyone on this board to demand a reasonable, natural explanation for natural events.

A

angellous_evangellous

Philosophy is very much alive.

I haven't checked in a while, but I believe that there is a philosophy department in every major university on earth. There's even a school of philosophy in a Catholic university that's quite large out here in the metroplex, and they are quite good. There's also a philosophy department at my local junior college (they tried to recruit me a few times). And all these professors and many of their students contribute regularly to articles and books.

It's alive - you just have to know where to look. I think that you've been peering into the disquieted soul of the run-of-the-mill moron, who may or may not have a religious bone in his body. If you asked the run-of-the-mill moron of any generation, they wouldn't know a lick of philosophy, either.

savethedreams

Religion is dead in that a majority of the "religious" are just paying lip service. Most people who proclaim belief in gods, spirits, or an afterlife would be genuinely shocked to experience these things first-hand. Many people believe in spirits, but those that do often deny all cases of haunting when taken individually. Many people believe in hell but do nothing to avoid it. Many people talk of heaven, but on their death beds fight eternal peace.

Philosophy is strong in its own right, mainly because it doesn't fully hinge on answers. Religion has chosen to hide among its ranks.

Jumps up and down... you have a strong point. This is why I think religion eventually is going to dicenegrate and become as popular as wiccan and hinduism. Still billions but so far away from 'us' in the U.S (play on words us, U.S. lol) and so 'cultural' that we don't give to much attention to, but respect.

Gjallarhorn

N'yog-Sothep
Jumps up and down... you have a strong point. This is why I think religion eventually is going to dicenegrate and become as popular as wiccan and hinduism. Still billions but so far away from 'us' in the U.S (play on words us, U.S. lol) and so 'cultural' that we don't give to much attention to, but respect.
I already make it a point of calling Christianity Neo-Paganism.

Straw Dog

Is philosphy really DEAD? or completly migrated into 'religion'?

Just a thought.

Besides some ethical philosophy, I don't really see the discipline of philosophy wholly merging into that of religion. On the contrary, I see philosophy becoming more of an aid and logical set of tools to assist in the progress and understanding of the scientific method. Philosophy is to science, what religion is to art.

Benhamine

Learning Member
IMO, philosophy in any grand useful scheme is dead. More applicable sciences have taken it's spot in answering how the world/universe works. Where as once philosophy and science were coupled and bound (see Newton) philosophy no longer can answer many of life's mysteries as well as research in psychology and physics are able to. Philosophy still exists in a personal search for truth and in that sense religion is probably the most common form of philosophy, although most who are "religious" rarely care about the philosophy behind it all. It's also applicable when discussing morality. Philosophy will always exist in these realms but as far as furthering our knowledge as a species...philosophy is dead.

-Benhamine

Straw Dog

If we want to get pedantic then yes it is. I figured though that the philosophy under discussion was what most people think of as philosophy, ie what can be deduced using just the mind.

-Benhamine

Then that would just be the philosophy of Rationalism. I define "philosophy" as the practice of thinking well.