• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is myth any less valuable a tool for living than science?

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
One reason, a general consensus can be reached much easier, two, scientific theories can be changed (and will be ) with new evidence. Myths have the unfortunate habit of hanging around long after their real usefulness, as they are not based on evidence, but on faith and/or fiction.
Is a "general consensus" tool more useful than a personal tool?

Edit: I would propose that, rather than being unchanging, the myth has a new, distinct and unique meaning for each person who reads it, each time they read it.

lilithu

The Devil's Advocate
I would like to point out that any myth is derived from one's imagination, and thus, is an account of, even if unlikely, something that could happen.
No, all myth is grounded in experience of things that have actually happened and then supplemented by imagination. If a story is not grounded in experience, that is, if people can't relate to it, it does not get perpetuated and does not reach the status of myth. Myth is not about what could happen. It's about trying to make sense of what has happened and continues to happen.

logician

No, all myth is grounded in experience of things that have actually happened and then supplemented by imagination. .

This simply is not true, myths may entirely be fabrications, unless you're using a different version of the dictionary than I am.

science_is_my_god

Philosophical Monist
No, all myth is grounded in experience of things that have actually happened and then supplemented by imagination. If a story is not grounded in experience, that is, if people can't relate to it, it does not get perpetuated and does not reach the status of myth. Myth is not about what could happen. It's about trying to make sense of what has happened and continues to happen.
Yes, however once the factuality of the story gets "supplemented by imagination", it not exactly fact anymore, is it?

science_is_my_god

Philosophical Monist
dr suess is a much better tool for that than any organized religion in existence today.
I agree. However, most religious people say that Dr. Suess bases his stories of of sciptures, but he just takes out the whole "god" thing and the violent, messy bits.
And I say to myself, "Why couldn't the Bible have been written that way in the first place?"

NIX

Daughter of Chaos
For me, Myth has absolutely nothing to do with "moralizing". A Myth of Worth is like a mystical magnifying glass.
Or a "key" that opens wide the doors of personal realization on a deepr level. Myth can be explored/found in literally anything.

I don't think that Myth exists to explain anything... but to give the "Myth-maker-interpreter" a (rich and useful) set of symbolisms
in which/through which a deeper observation-study of life might be made under the "conditions" of that specific scenario.

Sounds just a bit like something else, doesn't it.;)

:franken:Nyx

Bishadi

First of all, nothing is entirely fabrication. It's impossible.

Second, I told you to read Roland Barthes' Mythologies.
Oh brother....

gonasyphilherpelaids ......... words are the creation of mankind!

so every line items that is not true, is fabricated by man/women.....

what seems impossible at this point is for mankind to return to the base constituents to rehash the true but be happy a person did as the future will have the chance you and I did not; to have the truth unbaised and absolute; the revealing!