• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is Multiculturalism really good for society?

nnmartin

I think multiculturalism is seriously over-rated.

Good to have some mixing yes, but to the extent it's been taken to in most of the developed world is absurd.

Is it right for someone to be beaten up in their 'own' country just for being White?

Tarheeler

Argumentative Curmudgeon
Premium Member
No modern nation can expect to preserve a pure homogeneous society. For better or worse, people are going to migrate and bring new cultures into society.

We can either fight it, and create tension, or we can embrace it, and create a society that benefits from inclusion.

Tamar

I am Jewish.
Originally Posted by Mestemia
hmmm....
Are you using the term 'undocumented criminal" to mean illegal immigrant?

Same difference? (Shrug)

No, it is not the same. Many people attending college who are undocumented are people who came to this country as children with their parents. Children who grew up in this country and have no memory of living elsewhere. They have attended schools in this country, speak english and see themselves as being American.

They are not criminal and they certainly did not have much choice in what their parents did.

But most come to this country looking for a better life and they do the jobs that Americans do not want to do.

Many are in the process of working towards becoming citizens.

We certainly do have a "criminal" element that is coming across the border but it is not those who are studying in colleges to become educated and self sufficient and eventually to give back to society.

nnmartin

Tarheeler:

That is true , but multiculturalism for multiculturalism's sake is no great thing.

People around the World are different, they think differently, look different and are wired differently - that is obvious when you look at how cultures in other nations evolve. So it is clear that some over use of mixing may not be a good thing.

How would ants behave if 50 nests were thrown together - a disaster I think!

Multiculturalism needs to be approached in a calm manner and political correctness must not have its say just to please the Liberals.

Tarheeler

Argumentative Curmudgeon
Premium Member
Tarheeler:

That is true , but multiculturalism for multiculturalism's sake is no great thing.

People around the World are different, they think differently, look different and are wired differently - that is obvious when you look at how cultures in other nations evolve. So it is clear that some over use of mixing may not be a good thing.

How would ants behave if 50 nests were thrown together - a disaster I think!

Multiculturalism needs to be approached in a calm manner and political correctness must not have its say just to please the Liberals.

There is no such thing as "multiculturalism for multiculturalisms sake".

We can either incorporate the new influences into existing society, or we can try to keep it separate.

I tend to find it ironic when my fellow Americans protest against it under the guise of "liberal political correctness".

We speak a Germanic language full of borrowed words from a mulitude of languages.
Spaghetti, egg rolls, and frankfurters are all staples of our diet.
We say gesundheit and adios amigos while we celebrate Cinco de Mayo and the Forth of July.
We pray in churches, temples, mosques, and synagogues, and we come in all in all colors.

American society is the product of over two hundred years of multiculturalism, and I think we've turned out pretty good so far.

not nom

it doesn't mean everyone becomes the same... one might even argue that in a multicultural world (which is an irreversible fact: we invented the methods of transportation and communication, the rest takes time but is inevitable) there is more individual variety than in 50 or even 500 "cultures" with inhabitants adhering to their "cultural identity"... which is just a fancy term for big cliques, and a sense of belonging (simply to the family of life) that is still so weak it needs a contrast, an "other". let's, uhm, evolve past that, shall we.

Straw Dog

I think multiculturalism is seriously over-rated.

Good to have some mixing yes, but to the extent it's been taken to in most of the developed world is absurd.

Is it right for someone to be beaten up in their 'own' country just for being White?

I can't say that I've ever been beaten up in my 'own' country for being white haha. Oh, woe is us! The majority is so horribly oppressed by the minorities. Where is our freedom to claim ownership over this entire country? Where is our basic liberty to be white and segregate all other races? I mean, I can't believe that white males are only mostly dominating political offices rather than entirely! What's this country coming to ever since desegregation and the civil rights movement began?

Last edited:

Averroes

Originally Posted by Mestemia
hmmm....
Are you using the term 'undocumented criminal" to mean illegal immigrant?

No, it is not the same. Many people attending college who are undocumented are people who came to this country as children with their parents. Children who grew up in this country and have no memory of living elsewhere. They have attended schools in this country, speak english and see themselves as being American.

They are not criminal and they certainly did not have much choice in what their parents did.

But most come to this country looking for a better life and they do the jobs that Americans do not want to do.

Many are in the process of working towards becoming citizens.

We certainly do have a "criminal" element that is coming across the border but it is not those who are studying in colleges to become educated and self sufficient and eventually to give back to society.

However that may be its a slap in the face for many college students who paid their way in school only for legislators to consider free education to children of undocumented parents for the sake of a higher principle.

nnmartin

Instead of trying to set ourselves apart and make ourselves unique, we should strive to homogenize the globe and set everyone on equal terms. "Culture," as far as I've been able to perceive it, is simply an unnecessary distortion of reality that varies between isolated communities of humans. Now that human communities are no longer isolated, culture is obsolete. Just as we seek to abolish nations and borders, we should seek to assimilate cultures and artificial barriers.

That really is absolute Liberal hippy garbage!

People are different not just because of culture but because their DNA is different.

What may work as a society in China would not work in the USA.

nnmartin

That will never work.

See how hard it is just keeping one country fully functioning - too many people in the World to have only 1 country.

What would be the benefit anyway?

not nom

People are different not just because of culture but because their DNA is different.

that's just pseudo-scientific racism.

it's perfectly possible for many chinese to share much more DNA with you than your direct neighbours (who "look like you"), just not those bits which determine how people look.

muslim-

In todays world, democracy and multiculturalism go together. The is especially if the society is secular, because you can't discriminate against other cultures or/religions, and maintain a secular democratic society.

So its either you accept multi culturalism and a secular democracy, or you will end up having neither. Its just how it is in the long run, in my opinion.

T-Dawg

Self-appointed Lunatic

Since when was wanting to assimilate all human life into one organization considered "liberal"?

That will never work.

See how hard it is just keeping one country fully functioning - too many people in the World to have only 1 country.

What would be the benefit anyway?

A valid point. A global government would take much effort to set up, and is probably not possible at the moment given the level of hatred and ethnic/political/racial/etc strife in the world.

The benefit? Without individual nations and cultures, people would be free to think of themselves as human beings rather than as members of artificial entities. It would be good for the regions of the world to share the same political policies and cultural norms, because, if nothing else, being similar and not different is good in and of itself.

It would also be the natural progression to the changes being made over the past few centuries, that is, the world being more and more interconnected, especially economically. Having nations united for the benefit of the whole is essentially the same concept as having people united in organizations and Parties for the benefit of the collective.

nnmartin

that's just pseudo-scientific racism.

it's perfectly possible for many chinese to share much more DNA with you than your direct neighbours (who "look like you"), just not those bits which determine how people look.

It is not racist in the slightest to say people from different countries are different.

I am not really talking about physical looks but more mental wiring.

People in China or Cambodia think differently from a Westerner and it is not just due to culture.

Kathryn

It was on fire when I laid down on it.
It is not racist in the slightest to say people from different countries are different.

I am not really talking about physical looks but more mental wiring.

People in China or Cambodia think differently from a Westerner and it is not just due to culture.

So you think that biologically, different races have different mental capabilities?

nnmartin

Since when was wanting to assimilate all human life into one organization considered "liberal"?

It would also be the natural progression to the changes being made over the past few centuries, that is, the world being more and more interconnected, especially economically.

I would say over the last 100 years or so there has been the emergence of many more countries.

Take the end of colonialism for example, the break up of the Soviet Union , Yugoslavia, East Timor etc.. Many new entities.

Soon a lot of places will get fed up of the corporate must have lifestyle and go their own way.

Wanting to assimilate all human life into one organisation is the kind of thing wannabe Miss World's come out with, although the choice of vocabulary may need to be simplified. (that's pretty Liberal in my view!)