• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is Muhammad Considered Sinless in Islam?

Godobeyer

the word "Islam" means "submission" to God
Premium Member
I have heard arguments from Muslim apologists that one of the reasons the Quran is superior to the Bible is that it (the Quran) restores the purity of past prophets by depicting them as free of sins they say are found in the Biblical narratives. Can anyone speak to this and how it relates to the Islamic ideas of sinlessness and prophethood? If the Biblical narrative of David were taken as true, would it invalidate him from being a prophet by Islamic standards?
Yes ,The Quran glorify ALL the prophets.
David and Moses and Jesus ....etc peace be on them, all are our prophets.

von bek

Yes ,The Quran glorify ALL the prophets.
David and Moses and Jesus ....etc peace be on them, all are our prophets.

Prophets such as David and Moses are depicted in different ways in the Bible and the Quran. Is the picture of David from the Bible that of a sinless prophet? How about from the Quran? And, what makes the difference?

loverofhumanity

We are all the leaves of one tree
Premium Member
Here an answer from a Sheikh :

Question : "I have been told by someone claiming to be a Muslim that all God's prophets, including Mohammed, were without sin, (perfect), never requiring forgiveness. Is this a view held officially by Islam as a whole?"

Answer : “The ummah (Muslim nation) is agreed that the Messengers are infallible in carrying out their mission – they do not forget anything that Allaah has revealed to them except with regard to matters that have been abrogated.

If anything is concealed or changed, then the punishment of Allaah will befall the one who is guilty of doing these things, as Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):
‘And if he [Muhammad (pbhu)] had forged a false saying concerning Us [Allaah], We surely would have seized him by his right hand (or with power and might), and then certainly should have cut off his life artery (aorta).’

When it comes to the idea of the Prophets committing major sins (kabaa’ir), Shaykh al-Islam Ibn Taymiyah said (in al-Fataawaa, 4/319): “…The belief that the Prophets are free of major sins, but not of minor sins, is the opinion of the majority of Islamic scholars and of all (Muslim) groups… It is the opinion of most mufassireen (commentators on the Qur’an), scholars of hadeeth and fuqaha’ (jurists).”

“They are infallible in conveying the commands and message of Allaah, but they are not infallible in any other regard. They may make mistakes, forget things, or commit minor sins – according to the most well-known opinion (of the scholars) – but they will not be approved for these mistakes.”

https://islamqa.info/en/1684

I liked this very much but we Baha'is believe Prophet Muhammad, according to the Quran's statements as being an Example to humanity was sinless in every respect both minor and major and committed no wrong and made no mistakes. He was a Perfect Man as well as a Prophet of God.

loverofhumanity

Premium Member
I have heard arguments from Muslim apologists that one of the reasons the Quran is superior to the Bible is that it (the Quran) restores the purity of past prophets by depicting them as free of sins they say are found in the Biblical narratives. Can anyone speak to this and how it relates to the Islamic ideas of sinlessness and prophethood? If the Biblical narrative of David were taken as true, would it invalidate him from being a prophet by Islamic standards?

The Quran was written down over a period of 23 years while Muhammad was still alive so it was authenticated in the lifetime of Prophet Muhammad.

As Muhammad was prophesied by Christ and the Bible whatever it states about the Bible and Christ is pure truth and clears up many misconceptions.

However both the Bible and Quran are the Word of God.

The only real discrepancy is the interpretations placed upon these Holy Books by their followers which the Quran clarified when it was revealed.

psychoslice

Veteran Member
It depends what you mean by sin, I'm sure he made mistakes, just as Jesus would have, we may all be one with God, but we are still just humans.

Godobeyer

the word "Islam" means "submission" to God
Premium Member
Prophets such as David and Moses are depicted in different ways in the Bible and the Quran. Is the picture of David from the Bible that of a sinless prophet? How about from the Quran? And, what makes the difference?
Sorry von,I don't know about the picture (reputation) of David (pbuh) in Bible.
can you enlight me,how the Bible show David(pbuh) in this case ?

Anyway,David (pbuh) and all the prophet were sinless in Quran,that's what suppose to be the messanger of God.

btw We Muslims believe Bible is corrupted by humans hands.

Pastek

Sunni muslim
Would it be correct to say that Muhammad never disobeyed Allah in any of his commands?

I think it's correct. I don't remember anything he would have done intentionnally.

Did any prophets ever disobey Allah, or did they only commit minor sins by accident?

Jonah when he was upset left his people.

But it seems he didn't disobey Allah just that he did something without asking Allah first.

21.87 And [mention] the man of the fish, when he went off in anger and thought that We would not decree [anything] upon him. And he called out within the darknesses, "There is no deity except You; exalted are You. Indeed, I have been of the wrongdoers."

37.142 Then the fish swallowed him, while he was blameworthy.

But the prophet Muhammad said :

"No servant should say that I am better than Jonah son of Mata."

"Whoever says that I am better than Jonah son of Mata has told a lie."

"O people, say what you must say but do not allow Satan to deceive you. I am Muhammad the son of Abdullah, the servant of Allah and His Messenger. By Allah, I do not love that you raise my status above what Allah the Exalted has granted me."

http://abuaminaelias.com/is-prophet...no-distinction-between-the-prophets-of-allah/

I don't remember a particular prophet who disobeyed Allah honestly ...

In reading the link, I am trying to find the theme of what all is listed. If you define sin as more than disobeying Allah, how would you sum up what the "more" is?

I said that sinning is not only disobeying Allah or his commands because I believe that other attitudes are also bad like bullying someone who is for exemple gay until he commits suicide or feels very bad.
There's sins also according to what you think is good or bad as a human beeing even it's not in a Holy Book.

Pastek

Sunni muslim
I liked this very much but we Baha'is believe Prophet Muhammad, according to the Quran's statements as being an Example to humanity was sinless in every respect both minor and major and committed no wrong and made no mistakes. He was a Perfect Man as well as a Prophet of God.

I personnally don't know what to think, as i don't know if Jesus and his mother are also totally sinless. I think it's possible but not 100% sure.

loverofhumanity

Premium Member
I personnally don't know what to think, as i don't know if Jesus and his mother are also totally sinless. I think it's possible but not 100% sure.

According to our Writings Jesus was sinless as was His mother who bore Him. Her knowledge was not infallible only Christ's was.

loverofhumanity

Premium Member
What do you guys do with the verses where Moses is punished, if you believed him to be sinless?

Our interpretation of that verse is that the rebuke was addressed through Moses to His followers.

This link explains that rebuke as well as rebukes to other Prophets.

http://reference.bahai.org/en/t/ab/SAQ/saq-44.html

"the addresses in the form of reproach which are in the Holy Books, though apparently directed to the Prophets—that is to say, to the Manifestations of God—in reality are intended for the people. This will become evident and clear to you when you have diligently examined the Holy Books." Some Answered Questions

Tumah

Veteran Member
Our interpretation of that verse is that the rebuke was addressed through Moses to His followers.

This link explains that rebuke as well as rebukes to other Prophets.

http://reference.bahai.org/en/t/ab/SAQ/saq-44.html

"the addresses in the form of reproach which are in the Holy Books, though apparently directed to the Prophets—that is to say, to the Manifestations of God—in reality are intended for the people. This will become evident and clear to you when you have diligently examined the Holy Books." Some Answered Questions
I see in that article it addresses Num. 20 but skips the passage where Moses hits the rock, not in compliance with G-d's command (as he was told to speak to it) and in return G-d punishes him to not be able to bring the Jews into Israel. So you have Moses not listening to G-d's command and directly being punished for it.

loverofhumanity

Premium Member
I see in that article it addresses Num. 20 but skips the passage where Moses hits the rock, not in compliance with G-d's command (as he was told to speak to it) and in return G-d punishes him to not be able to bring the Jews into Israel. So you have Moses not listening to G-d's command and directly being punished for it.

Note in the Bible it says Thou art Peter and upon this rock I will build my church, likening a true believer to a rock, firm and steadfast.

With Moses He was told to speak to the rock (the believers) but as speaking to them did not get a response Moses had to chastise them with the rod of his mouth whereby again the followers are being rebuked through Moses for having to be chastised before they would obey.

In another passage below see how it describes rebuking and chastising as striking with a rod?

Isaiah 11.4

And He will strike the earth with the rod of His mouth,

Tumah

Veteran Member
Note in the Bible it says Thou art Peter and upon this rock I will build my church, likening a true believer to a rock, firm and steadfast.

With Moses He was told to speak to the rock (the believers) but as speaking to them did not get a response Moses had to chastise them with the rod of his mouth whereby again the followers are being rebuked through Moses for having to be chastised before they would obey.

In another passage below see how it describes rebuking and chastising as striking with a rod?

Isaiah 11.4

And He will strike the earth with the rod of His mouth,
When referring to chastisement, the word שבט is used such as in Proverbs 22:15, 23:13 and also in your reference of Isaiah. In the passage here in Numbers a different word meaning staff is used (שבט). And frankly, considering the context, it wouldn't make any sense to understand it your way. The Israelites are asking for water. Moses is meant to do a repeat performance of getting the water out of the rock. This isn't a metaphor or parable, so its really difficult to understand where you are coming from.

Servant_of_the_One1

Prophet Muhammad PBUH was not sinless.

Because Allah swt said in Quran :
That He may forgive ur sins from past and future.

However Prophet PBUH was protected from major sins.

loverofhumanity

Premium Member
When referring to chastisement, the word שבט is used such as in Proverbs 22:15, 23:13 and also in your reference of Isaiah. In the passage here in Numbers a different word meaning staff is used (שבט). And frankly, considering the context, it wouldn't make any sense to understand it your way. The Israelites are asking for water. Moses is meant to do a repeat performance of getting the water out of the rock. This isn't a metaphor or parable, so its really difficult to understand where you are coming from.

We believe Bahaullah's Words which are the Word of God, confirm Moses as sinless... So the interpretation known amongst men is incorrect

“Moses... Armed with the rod of celestial dominion, adorned with the white hand of divine knowledge, and proceeding from the Párán of the love of God, and wielding the serpent of power and everlasting majesty, He shone forth from the Sinai of light upon the world. He summoned all the peoples and kindreds of the earth to the kingdom of eternity,”

Excerpt From: Bahá’u’lláh. “The Kitáb-i-Íqán.” Bahá’í eBooks

von bek

Sorry von,I don't know about the picture (reputation) of David (pbuh) in Bible.
can you enlight me,how the Bible show David(pbuh) in this case ?

Well, I was specifically thinking of the story of David and Bathsheba. Of course, I am not certain that this narrative is unmentioned in the Quran. In any case, it is not a big deal if you are not already familiar with the story. Thank you for your responses!

Anyway,David (pbuh) and all the prophet were sinless in Quran,that's what suppose to be the messanger of God.

btw We Muslims believe Bible is corrupted by humans hands.

This is the central question of the thread. Thank you for your answers.

loverofhumanity

Premium Member
I noticed someone mentioned the Bible was corrupted???

The Quran upholds the Bible as the Word of God fully........

2. God, there is no god but He, the Living, the Eternal. 3. He sent down to you the Book with the Truth, confirming what came before it; and He sent down the Torah and the Gospel. 3:3

Torah--"We gave Moses the Book and followed him up with a succession of messengers," (Sura 2:87).1

Psalms--"We have sent thee inspiration, as We sent it to Noah and the Messengers after him: we sent inspiration to Abraham, Isma'il, Isaac, Jacob and the Tribes, to Jesus, Job, Jonah, Aaron, and solomon, and to David We gave the Psalms," (4:163).

Gospel--"It is He Who sent down to thee (step by step), in truth, the Book, confirming what went before it; and He sent down the Law (of Moses) and the Gospel (of Jesus) before this, as a guide to mankind, and He sent down the criterion (of judgment between right and wrong)," (3:3).

Also, "And in their footsteps We sent Jesus the son of Mary, confirming the Law that had come before him: We sent him the Gospel: therein was guidance and light, and confirmation of the Law that had come before him: a guidance and an admonition to those who fear Allah," (5:46).