• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is Mahasamadhi the physical death of a yogi or a state of being attained prior to death?

Shantanu

Liberation for the theist is attained through the discovery of the truth that God exists and is there to be surrendered to.

In the quest for liberation one enters various states of being that leads to samadhi, that is, a liberation from all worldly affairs. When one has taken leave of God Himself after intensive surrender lasting years, one is entering into a point where there is total liberation in which one is attached to nothing, including God.

This state of being that is attained through yoga is termed mahasamadhi in my opinion so that one does not have to be physically dead to have entered mahasamadhi.

Any thoughts?

BSM1

What? Me worry?
I am not Hindu but, if I may, I would like to ask: is this a state where you might experience the cessation of opposites? In other words you have reached a place where the concepts of such things as 'attachment-detachment', 'life-death', 'God-Man', etc., no longer exist; there is truly just One? And is this even possible?

Kirran

Premium Member
Well it's just a word, which can be used for either, but I think generally mahasamadhi refers to physical death. Samadhi can refer either to physical death or to the state in which one ceases to experience duality - it can lead to the attainment of Self-Realisation, which constitutes liberation.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Savikalpa samadhi, nirvikalpa samadhi samadhi alone, all mean different things in different schools, but mahasamadhi itraditionally is the state of consciousness that accompanies death of the physical body.

There is variance because ego gets involved, and people make claims that go beyond what the traditional definitions are. When ego is involved nobody wants to be outdone. So the more 'Sri's in front of your name, the more realised you are. Only Siva knows what's really going on.

I've heard 'samadhi' used in extremely casual ways like while walking in a forest, or after a delicious meal.

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
Well it's just a word, which can be used for either, but I think generally mahasamadhi refers to physical death. Samadhi can refer either to physical death or to the state in which one ceases to experience duality - it can lead to the attainment of Self-Realisation, which constitutes liberation.
Very good, @Kirran

My understanding, as expected, is a bit different, but not much. Mahasamadhi is the act of consciously exiting the physical body, resulting in physical death, via a higher yogic state. In other words, it is a deliberate act.

Kirran

Premium Member

*preens*

My understanding, as expected, is a bit different, but not much. Mahasamadhi is the act of consciously exiting the physical body, resulting in physical death, via a higher yogic state. In other words, it is a deliberate act.

I suppose that for a soul of sufficient realisation the distinction is meaningless. Individuality breaks down a lot anyway.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
*preens*

I suppose that for a soul of sufficient realisation the distinction is meaningless. Individuality breaks down a lot anyway.

This. But another way it's misused is when it's used to refer to death of an 'ordinary' jiva, not a realised one.

It's also called 'the Great Departure' meaning the final time a soul has to do it.

Kirran

Premium Member
This. But another way it's misused is when it's used to refer to death of an 'ordinary' jiva, not a realised one.

It's also called 'the Great Departure' meaning the final time a soul has to do it.

Yes, that's true. It's used like that a lot.

Worth noting, samadhi is also used as the name for the location at which a realised soul (or one purported to be so) has been interred. For example, at SV there's a big shaligram marking Guru's samadhi.

skanda-vale-guru-samadhi-lingam.jpg

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Yes, that's true. It's used like that a lot.

Worth noting, samadhi is also used as the name for the location at which a realised soul (or one purported to be so) has been interred. For example, at SV there's a big shaligram marking Guru's samadhi.

I've never seen it used that way. I've only seen samadhi shrine for that.

Shantanu

Liberation for the theist is attained through the discovery of the truth that God exists and is there to be surrendered to.

In the quest for liberation one enters various states of being that leads to samadhi, that is, a liberation from all worldly affairs. When one has taken leave of God Himself after intensive surrender lasting years, one is entering into a point where there is total liberation in which one is attached to nothing, including God.

This state of being that is attained through yoga is termed mahasamadhi in my opinion so that one does not have to be physically dead to have entered mahasamadhi.

Any thoughts?
My own thoughts after reading comments is that I had got it wrong. Once a person has surrendered to God and the surrender is accepted, there is no turning back. One is forever caught in the entrancement/allurement. So mahasamadhi must mean the deliberate termination of one's life through yogic endeavour. But why would anyone want to do that? How can a yogi get fed up with life to the point that he would want to terminate it? Life is for living. So it would appear that mahasamadhi is not a legitimate conception for a theist and belongs to some other form of religion. Any thoughts?

BSM1

What? Me worry?

So the word (and concept) I am looking for is 'samadhi'? This is the state where you do not experience opposites; or in you words (which describe it better) where one no longer experiences (nor is one controlled by, I assume) Duality?

Kirran

Premium Member
So the word (and concept) I am looking for is 'samadhi'? This is the state where you do not experience opposites; or in you words (which describe it better) where one no longer experiences (nor is one controlled by, I assume) Duality?

Yes, I think that'd be it. But there are different kinds of samadhi. Only Nirvikalpa samadhi, the ultimate form of samadhi, totally fulfills the criteria you are looking for I think. It's also known as Nirbija Samadhi, being Samadhi without seed, as opposed to Sabija Samadhi, Samadhi with seed. Seed refers to attributes, and also to identification and attachment. Only Nirvikalpa Samadhi truly burns out the 'seeds' of your identifications with the impermanent.

BSM1

What? Me worry?
Yes, I think that'd be it. But there are different kinds of samadhi. Only Nirvikalpa samadhi, the ultimate form of samadhi, totally fulfills the criteria you are looking for I think. It's also known as Nirbija Samadhi, being Samadhi without seed, as opposed to Sabija Samadhi, Samadhi with seed. Seed refers to attributes, and also to identification and attachment. Only Nirvikalpa Samadhi truly burns out the 'seeds' of your identifications with the impermanent.

Thanks. This gives me some direction for study.

BSM1

What? Me worry?
Patanjali's Yoga Sutras discuss these states quite professionally.

I am familiar with the name but I haven't looked into the sutras. Although I don't think I'll ever become a card-carrying Hindu, the are some concepts that seem to fit my truth.

Kirran

Premium Member
I am familiar with the name but I haven't looked into the sutras. Although I don't think I'll ever become a card-carrying Hindu, the are some concepts that seem to fit my truth.

Pfff, it's just a label. Doesn't matter whatsoever. But the sutras are useful regardless of what you call yourself.

Others high on my list are the Bhagavad Gita, the Ashtavakra Gita and Guru Sri Subramanium's stuff. The Daodejing, too.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Mahasamadhi is a state after which life and death is irrelevant. The unrealized term it as death.The body is the same in life and death, a car standing or a car moving. Vinayaka and Kirran have explained it nicely. Sa-vikalpa/Sa-beeja, keeping the options, Nir-vikalpa/Nir-beeja, abandoning the options. My views.

Last edited:

Shantanu

Mahasamadhi is a state after which life and death is irrelevant. The unrealized term it as death.The body is the same in life and death, a car standing or a car moving. Vinayaka and Kirran have explained it nicely. Sa-vikalpa/Sa-beeja, keeping the options, Nir-vikalpa/Nir-beeja, abandoning the options. My views.
Only when one realises that one is helpless as God has His way does one start thinking that it is pointless to live and so enters Mahasamadhi.