• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is It Sin?

Sheldon

Veteran Member
Does the freedom of speech goes the other way around too?

That question makes no sense sorry?

That any theist has freedom to express their views and belief both in God and about those who ridicule and mocking God? Or should a theist be tied and gaged in their free speech?

Does that sound like freedom of speech and expression to you?

And yes as an atheist you are free to speak your mind.

This is not true in many parts of the world still, even being labelled an atheist can have serious repercussions, in some parts of the world it might mean being killed.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
that makes no sense sorry?

Does that sound like freedom of speech and expression to you?

This is not true in many parts of the world still, even being labelled an atheist can have serious repercussions, in some parts of the world it might mean being killed.
Why does it not make any sense that believers should have freedom of speech?

Yes it sounds like freedom when you can say anything you like to anyone in a forum like RF.

I was speaking of here in RF.

Sheldon

Veteran Member
Why does it not make any sense that believers should have freedom of speech?

Where did I claim that? What is it you think freedom of speech means exactly, if you think it can be only available to some and not others?

Yes it sounds like freedom when you can say anything you like to anyone in a forum like RF.

Well that's just the medium, freedom of speech and expression goes a lot farther than that.

I was speaking of here in RF.

Well oddly enough this is a privately owned forum, so the owners absolutely have the right to decide what can and cannot be expressed. A legal right to freely express yourself, does not mean privately owned platforms are obliged to let you use their platform at all, as Donal Trump found out, though he and many of his supporters seem to have failed to understand the difference.

If I phone the Daily Mail tomorrow and insist they publish my views, they are not in any way obliged to do so. The government on the other hand cannot stop them publishing any view they want, or stop me expressing any view I want publicly, as that would be censorship. Unless of course my views broke the law.

Remember that awful homophobic bigot Israel Folau, and his bigoted hate speech. He wasn't braking any laws sadly, only a contract of employment with the Australian rugby union, and they rightly terminated it for breach of contract, as he had previously been warned.

People often misunderstand that censorship is not necessarily illegal, even by a government in a free society. If you signed the official secret act for instance, then you are in effect agreeing to be censored. You cannot be censored from making defamatory comments, but you may very well be prosecuted in a civil lawsuit.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
Where did I claim that? What is it you think freedom of speech means exactly, if you think it can be only available to some and not others?

Well that's just the medium, freedom of speech and expression goes a lot farther than that.

Well oddly enough this is a privately owned forum, so the owners absolutely have the right to decide what can and cannot be expressed. A legal right to freely express yourself, does not mean privately owned platforms are obliged to let you use their platform at all, as Donal Trump found out, though he and many of his supporters seem to have failed to understand the difference.

If I phone the Daily Mail tomorrow and insist they publish my views, they are not in any way obliged to do so. The government on the other hand cannot stop them publishing any view they want, or stop me expressing any view I want publicly, as that would be censorship. Unless of course my views broke the law.

Remember that awful homophobic bigot Israel Folau, and his bigoted hate speech. He wasn't braking any laws sadly, only a contract of employment with the Australian rugby union, and they rightly terminated it for breach of contract, as he had previously been warned.

People often misunderstand that censorship is not necessarily illegal, even by a government in a free society. If you signed the official secret act for instance, then you are in effect agreeing to be censored. You cannot be censored from making defamatory comments, but you may very well be prosecuted in a civil lawsuit.
Now you are the one making no sense...

Sheldon

Veteran Member
Now you are the one making no sense...

Is that it, no clue as to what or why from this entire post?

Which part didn't you understand?