• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is it possible to please God without reading scripture?

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
The Church is 'based' on Jesus the Christ and from this community of believers is produced the NT. The Liturgy is founded upon the Temple or Synagogue;

The standing during the gospels is, in Jewish liturgy, the standing for the Torah. The prayers of the offertory are the prayers of the Jewish Benediction before a meal.

The Sanctus is a direct quote from the Jewish prayer the Quedushah, while the ending of the maranatha when we say “Come Lord Jesus” is there in the invocation for the coming of the Messiah in the Jewish Shemoneh Esreh said daily.

The structure of the Mass recalls the structure of the Temple service and sacrifice. The beating of the breast at the Kyries repeats the Jewish beating of the breast as a sign of mourning or of repentance.

The octave after Christmas or Easter, is the week kept by Jews after every major feast. The beni-toi with its holy water, sign of baptism and once placed at the entrance of Catholic homes, takes the place of the Shema Israel encased in the wall before the entry into Jewish homes. And the readings of the Easter Vigil are the Passover readings Our Lord would have known.

More than that. Prior to Vat II Catholics were discouraged from reading the Bible. Now, with the explosion of Catholic scholarship going public the majority of parishes hold bible studies.

For some of Catholic doctrine there is a recognizable basis in Scripture. For others only a slender basis is to be found, and still others Scripture is virtually silent.

I just pretty much kept it simple.

Edit: I always want to ask because I see this on sites a lot these days. When giving an christian answer, why do you go into the Greek translation, the Jewish view, the This and the That to explain something pretty simple?

I know because it's religion it's supposed to be "mystical" I guess, but that's not how I see the Church. It's pretty straightforward. On websites, I'll look up, say, something on Paganism, and it 90 percent of the time says, Pagan (Greek word Peganus meaning country dweller [or so have you]) is.... Instead of just saying Pagan is this and that is it.

I think, unless having a theological dialogue, simple answers would help first and delve into the big stuff. A lot of Catholics who have not read their bible probably don't know the language behind a book they never read.

Last edited:

pearl

I think, unless having a theological dialogue, simple answers would help first and delve into the big stuff. A lot of Catholics who have not read their bible probably don't know the language behind a book they never read.

True. The simple answer is without Israel there is no Church.

Jesuslightoftheworld

The world has nothing to offer us!
I just pretty much kept it simple.

Edit: I always want to ask because I see this on sites a lot these days. When giving an christian answer, why do you go into the Greek translation, the Jewish view, the This and the That to explain something pretty simple?

I know because it's religion it's supposed to be "mystical" I guess, but that's not how I see the Church. It's pretty straightforward. On websites, I'll look up, say, something on Paganism, and it 90 percent of the time says, Pagan (Greek word Peganus meaning country dweller [or so have you]) is.... Instead of just saying Pagan is this and that is it.

I think religion is made so complicated. We can absolutely please God, but in order to do that we must read scripture to understand the nature of God, so that we can know how to please God. The Bible is an instruction for living life , pleasing God, and knowing He knows exactly what will make you happy. God wants a relationship with us. To love and be loved.

Jesuslightoftheworld

The world has nothing to offer us!
Is it possible to please God? No. That's why we have Jesus as a mediator.

God smiles upon you when you keep his commandments. Jesus was a way to reconcile us with our Father. He loves us more than we can even conceive; unconditionally and no matter who you are or what you've done.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
I think religion is made so complicated. We can absolutely please God, but in order to do that we must read scripture to understand the nature of God, so that we can know how to please God. The Bible is an instruction for living life , pleasing God, and knowing He knows exactly what will make you happy. God wants a relationship with us. To love and be loved.

In my experience, I only got that through the people/Church and Christ in communion: Mass. Basically, the Church is living the instruction. What beats living the bible as opposed to reading it? (Either/or question; I understand are both involved.)

gottalovemoses

Im mad as Hell!
I think my father pleased God. he never read nor recited a word of scripture, yet his life was full of good works and more importantly a charitable attitude to one and all. Protestants will say good works don't count because salvation is not a meritocracy. But if good works are signs of a warm kind heart, I think we can safely say, he's Heaven bound.

Grandliseur

Catholics don't view the Bible as sole authority. But I have been studying it quite seriously recently.
It makes me wonder about the average Catholic who has very little knowledge of scripture outside the gospels. Does it really matter? maybe not. Our Christian action is the main thing.
In ancient times, Enoch, Noah, Abraham had little that we recognize. Abraham had books handed down with information about things, which things is unknown except for lineage of human race through the line of Noah.

Of course, it seems that Enoch was the author of a book that at least survived until Christ and the apostles. It is assuredly not the book/s of Enoch available today.
-----------
As was just pointed out to me, God acted at times directly with these early believers thus offsetting any problem they had by not having Inspired Scriptures.

----------
Today, we do have God's inspired word to guide us and not God's direct angelic intervention as before.

Last edited:

tonemonkey

Catholics don't view the Bible as sole authority. But I have been studying it quite seriously recently.
It makes me wonder about the average Catholic who has very little knowledge of scripture outside the gospels. Does it really matter? maybe not. Our Christian action is the main thing.
Reading Scripture is one way of seeking God, so it makes Him happy when we read it. I'm glad to hear that you've started studying it seriously! God has made it clear in His word what makes Him happy and what doesn't. If you study His word those things will become clear to you. Outside of reading the Bible you'll be grasping at straws to know what brings joy to His heart.

As you dive into The Bible you'll find passages that indicate that the scripture in the Bible is God breathed and dynamic.

2 Timothy 3:16-17
16 All Scripture is inspired by God and is useful to teach us what is true and to make us realize what is wrong in our lives. It corrects us when we are wrong and teaches us to do what is right. 17 God uses it to prepare and equip his people to do every good work.

It's not just any book, but it is the actual words of God, revealed to people who then wrote them down for us. You can read self-help books all you want and none of them will do more to reveal who you really are, and Whose you really are than the Bible.

As far as Christian action, remember that it's not by works that we are saved, but by faith. Here are two scriptures to put things straight:

Ephesians 2:8-9
For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith - and this is not from yourselves, it is the gift of God - not by works, so that no one can boast.

James 2:17-18
In the same way, faith by itself, if it is not accompanied by action, is dead. 18 But someone will say, “You have faith; I have deeds.”

Show me your faith without deeds, and I will show you my faith by my deeds.

So, according to the Bible, salvation comes through faith, not from what we do. What we do demonstrates our faith.

tonemonkey

In ancient times, Enoch, Noah, Abraham had little that we recognize. Abraham had books handed down with information about things, which things is unknown except for lineage of human race through the line of Noah.

Of course, it seems that Enoch was the author of a book that at least survived until Christ and the apostles. It is assuredly not the book/s of Enoch available today.
The Ancients like Moses and Abraham didn't have Scripture to learn about God from - God revealed Himself to them personally.

gottalovemoses

Im mad as Hell!
All Scripture is inspired by God and is useful to teach us what is true and to make us realize what is wrong in our lives.
Thanks. I tend to agree but some stuff in the Bible is a turn off in my opinion. God seems to have very black and white views on things. The good guys get separated from the bad but in reality we are much more complex human beings being part good and part bad.
But my experience overall of studying the Bible with a Catholic theologian's help has been immensely helpful. I am getting new insights every day from the powerful metaphors used in such books as Hosea and Isaiah. The language is poetic and "symphonic" when looked at more deeply. I should have done a theology course at University ages ago. It is life changing!

tonemonkey

Thanks. I tend to agree but some stuff in the Bible is a turn off in my opinion. God seems to have very black and white views on things. The good guys get separated from the bad but in reality we are much more complex human beings being part good and part bad.
But my experience overall of studying the Bible with a Catholic theologian's help has been immensely helpful. I am getting new insights every day from the powerful metaphors used in such books as Hosea and Isaiah. The language is poetic and "symphonic" when looked at more deeply. I should have done a theology course at University ages ago. It is life changing!
The funny thing about God's views on things is that He's the Creator who sees all of time front-to-back at the same time. Since He created everything and knows everything, it seems like His views on things is the correct view. How could we know more than He does? We might not like the truth, but that doesn't make it any less true.

You'll find, though, that god doesn't separate the "good guys" from the "bad guys". In the end many people that we would all say are "good people" will not enter into Heaven, and many we would all say are "bad people" will be welcomed into Heaven. All of this has to do with what they believed and who they trusted for their salvation before they died. This might not seem fair, but Jesus hung out with "sinners" and called the "righteous" religious leaders a brood of vipers.

We are all good and bad, but it's not our goodness or badness that determines our eternal destiny - it's what we believe and Who our faith is placed in.

Also, be careful when deciding which verses in the Bible are "poetic", "symphonic", and "metaphorical". There are many who have thought the same thing and decided that all of the stuff they didn't like was just metaphorical. It's important to look at the context of what is said, who the audience was, and how they understood it.

Jesus was confronted by some religious leaders who questioned him on who he was. At the end of their interaction Jesus said to them, "Before Abraham was, I am". When he spoke these words the religious leaders picked up stones to kill him. We can read these words and ask, what's the big deal? The fact that they picked up stones to kill him on the spot indicates that to them he said something so blasphemous that they were going to break their own religious laws to kill him on the spot. We have to go beyond what we think the words mean, to take into account wha they meant to the original audience.

tonemonkey

God gave them an exemption. But they had to use their ears instead.
They actually didn't get an exemption - that's the really cool part! If you read the book of Hebrews you see that Abraham believed without seeing, he was credited as righteous. He believed God at His word. Job (who lived before Abraham) also was considered by God to be the most righteous man alive in his day, and he didn't have the Bible - he knew God and God revealed Himself to Job.