• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is it possible to please God without reading scripture?

djhwoodwerks

Faith is required to please God. Reading the Bible is a great idea but not required:

Hebrews 11:6
And without faith it is impossible to please God, because anyone who comes to him must believe that he exists and that he rewards those who earnestly seek him.

Really?

Romans 10:17 (ESV Strong's) 17 So faith comes from hearing, and hearing through the word of Christ.

DavidFirth

Really?

Romans 10:17 (ESV Strong's) 17 So faith comes from hearing, and hearing through the word of Christ.

Good point. I'm not against reading the Bible, I encourage it.

But to be saved through faith that comes from hearing the word can and usually does come from a person's mouth (actually the work of the Holy Spirit through that person), not by reading the scriptures. People don't usually read scripture until after they have already developed faith that comes through hearing.

djhwoodwerks

Good point. I'm not against reading the Bible, I encourage it.

But to be saved through faith that comes from hearing the word can and usually does come from a person's mouth (actually the work of the Holy Spirit through that person), not by reading the scriptures. People don't usually read scripture until after they have already developed faith that comes through hearing.

I guess that can be true, if you actually believe and trust what that person says without going to scripture to make sure it says what they say it says.

I actually take Romans 10:17 literally. When I read the Bible I read out loud, but I usually listen to it on MP3 thru headphones, mainly because I'm not a big fan of reading, it puts me to sleep rather quickly.

DavidFirth

I guess that can be true, if you actually believe and trust what that person says without going to scripture to make sure it says what they say it says.

I actually take Romans 10:17 literally. When I read the Bible I read out loud, but I usually listen to it on MP3 thru headphones, mainly because I'm not a big fan of reading, it puts me to sleep rather quickly.

I used to have the RC Sproul cassette tapes where he goes through the entire Bible and listen to them while driving. That was a super church library back then, I miss it.

djhwoodwerks

I used to have the RC Sproul cassette tapes where he goes through the entire Bible and listen to them while driving. That was a super church library back then, I miss it.

I listen to RC Sproul now and then, he's a white collar teacher and I'm a blue collar listener! Dr. Tony Evans is my go to teacher.

DavidFirth

I listen to RC Sproul now and then, he's a white collar teacher and I'm a blue collar listener! Dr. Tony Evans is my go to teacher.

If you ever get the chance to get your hands on that collection where RC goes through the entire Bible it is well worth listening to it. I learned a lot from that series.

Muffled

Jesus in me
Catholics don't view the Bible as sole authority. But I have been studying it quite seriously recently.
It makes me wonder about the average Catholic who has very little knowledge of scripture outside the gospels. Does it really matter? maybe not. Our Christian action is the main thing.

I once did a way of the cross carrying a sign that said this:
Ho 4:6 My people are destroyed for lack of knowledge: because thou hast rejected knowledge, I will also reject thee, that thou shalt be no priest to me: seeing thou hast forgotten the law of thy God, I also will forget thy children.
When we stopped at a Catholic church one of the parishoners commented about it as being relevant.

I believe if a person goes to mass everyday they would get the whole Bible read to them. The readings are planned that way.
For me scripture is pretty much in memory but I have started doing a daily bible verse of Facebook and ran across one today that surprised me. But then I probably yawn through II Cor. the way sermons put me to sleep, lol.

Muffled

Jesus in me
It seems as thought you have a couple of questions here, the bible doesn't really tell you much about God, it speaks of interactions but if you were to think about God exclusive of religious trimmings then first God is perfect, that implies a state that has everything, lacks nothing, has no wants, complete. But if the individual wants to please God, whether it does or doesn't is irrelevant, that's another story. If you were to believe that God was everywhere then we would all benefit from this persons actions.

They way I understand the story about David, he was just a shepherd boy, with little education and no NT at all and look what happen to him.

I believe he committed adultery and murder. I bet he didn't ask God if it were OK or consult the scripture. When called on the carpet then he remembered the law.

Faithofchristian

As to how would a person know, what pleases God and what does not pleases God, If a person does not read God's word to know what is Please able and what is not Please able to God?

Muffled

Jesus in me
You’d hope so, otherwise there’ll be a lot of blind Christians wondering why heaven is so hot and pointy. :D

I don't believe that. My wife does not read the Bible and does nto go to church but having received Jesus as Lord and Savior should be enough.

DavidFirth

I think my father pleased God. he never read nor recited a word of scripture, yet his life was full of good works and more importantly a charitable attitude to one and all. Protestants will say good works don't count because salvation is not a meritocracy. But if good works are signs of a warm kind heart, I think we can safely say, he's Heaven bound.

Well, good works do not save us but our place in heaven will be determined by how well we walk with Jesus and do good works in His name. So good works do count for sure.

A person without good works may not have faith according to James. A person knows our faith by our works.

DavidFirth

I am a Catholic but many Catholics would say I am not a Catholic because I believe the Bible is the ultimate authority, not the Church. Where I think the Church is not strictly following NT scripture I go with the scripture and disregard what the Church says and does.

Tmac

Are you saying that you never have to be pleased by another.
So it's ok with you, if your in a relationship and the other never has to do anything to please you.
But they can be with someone else and please them, but not please you.

I said loving pleases me, simple. It has intrinsic rewards.