• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is it possible to even Understand the bible? Does atheismake sense?

David T

Premium Member
Note:there is a wierd typo in the title atheismake. I left it on purpose for the hyper anal to be anal about.

Is the bible understandable? I see no possible way to be an atheist, or agnostic at all let alone a believer in regards to the bible. It's literally impossible to understand based on modern reasoning. To me if you believe, if you don't believe if you are agnostic that's not reasoning that's a private conversation between 3 people. Is a private conversation reality?

You can spend a lifetime talking about nature it can all seem deeply reasoned real and solid it's not because you only see a house. One small second in nature and you realize it's home not a house.

It's Nature alive or extinction all believers, non believers and agnostics, the house is burning down. Get a reality check

In the mean time, I have thought of a good science fiction plot. The kernel of it is that the intellect actually is an alien parasite that overtook a tribe of chimpanzees and they became a hairless monkey. This invasive species, today is arguing with itself, to either kill the host species by ignoring the enviromental meltdown or do they keep it at a subtainanible level till they are capable of first contact!!!!! They are divided on it. Some like Donald Trump some like Al gore. Both are representives to different factions.

Last edited:

Vee

Premium Member
Is the bible understandable? I see no possible way to be an atheist, or agnostic at all let alone a believer in regards to the bible. It's literally impossible to understand based on modern reasoning..

The Bible can be understood but that requires a lot of study of the historical context and of course, a good dose of faith, otherwise most of it won't make any sense. It takes years to even have an idea, but it is worth the effort.

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member
The Bible can be understood but that requires a lot of study of the historical context and of course, a good dose of faith, otherwise most of it won't make any sense. It takes years to even have an idea, but it is worth the effort.

Personally I prefer the Baha'i writings. They up front make sense on different education and reading levels, and no conflicts with science. The Humanist Manifesto used by Unitarians also make good easy common sense.

David T

Premium Member
Well I have a degree In theology I already know that's stupid. It serves a specific purpose. In regards to historical context impossible to teach that because you have to be that. Hildegard de bingen called it 1200 ad you can't live in an interpreted world because an interpreted world is not home. Theology is house not home.

Note:there is a wierd typo in the title atheismake. I left it on purpose for the hyper anal to be anal about.

Is the bible understandable? I see no possible way to be an atheist, or agnostic at all let alone a believer in regards to the bible. It's literally impossible to understand based on modern reasoning. [/To me if you believe, if you don't believe if you are agnostic that's not reasoning that's a private conversation between 3 people.] Is a private conversation reality?

You can spend a lifetime talking about nature it can all seem deeply reasoned real and solid it's not because you only see a house. One small second in nature and you realize it's home not a house.

It's Nature alive or extinction all believers, non believers and agnostics, the house is burning down. Get a reality check

In the mean time, I have thought of a good science fiction plot. The kernel of it is that the intellect actually is an alien parasite that overtook a tribe of chimpanzees and they became a hairless monkey. This invasive species, today is arguing with itself, to either kill the host species by ignoring the enviromental meltdown or do they keep it at a subtainanible level till they are capable of first contact!!!!! They are divided on it. Some like Donald Trump some like Al gore. Both are representives to different factions.
Believe, don't believe, refuse to decide due to lack of evidence or information ... unless you are some divine entity or in a state of conciousness without subject or object... what other position are you supporting/suggesting?

David T

Premium Member
Personally I prefer the Baha'i writings. They up front make sense on different education and reading levels, and no conflicts with science. The Humanist Manifesto used by Unitarians also make good easy common sense.
Well we can't live in an interpreted reality regardless of tradition. And I agree there are some who do a better job on that part. Or at least they are aware of that. The bible is extremely hard. One almost need buddhism and a whole bunch of time in nature. It only really makes sense through the eyes pre literate but that's almost impossible today. Science is fine as long as its contextualised. It to can become just a kind of complex interpretation and thus religion or theology as well.

I was reading about the physist whitten. They he and the writer were what they believed, talking about reality, but reality is easy it's a singular not a multiple. Only smart people are able to abstract reality as multidimensional. This is trick my daughter cannot do. Either its a very harsh cruel joke by nature on my daughter and a PhD is required to understand reality or the deepest wells of modern science are totally self absorbed and lost in outer space. I would bet the farm on self absorbed in interpreted lala land. It's a tape measure, not reality.

Well I have a degree In theology I already know that's stupid. It serves a specific purpose. In regards to historical context impossible to teach that because you have to be that. Hildegard de bingen called it 1200 ad you can't live in an interpreted world because an interpreted world is not home. Theology is house not home.
I heard an interview on the radio a while back, with a biblical scholar who said as an interesting aside, that the people in his field almost invariably, after about 20 years of study would flip sides. Believers became more skeptical and skeptics became believers. Go figure, huh?

David T

Premium Member
Believe, don't believe, refuse to decide due to lack of evidence or information ... unless you are some divine entity or in a state of conciousness without subject or object... what other position are you supporting/suggesting?
LOL omg
OK" I believe" if I need to use the bathroom, I can Google search for a McDonald's and there will be a bathroom. "I do not believe" it will automatically be available. I am "agnostic" whether it will be clean. So there you go beyond taking a dump I have zero idea what you are talking about. I really don't base reality totally on my bowel requirements I just am not that old.

David T

Premium Member
I heard an interview on the radio a while back, with a biblical scholar who said as an interesting aside, that the people in his field almost invariably, after about 20 years of study would flip sides. Believers became more skeptical and skeptics became believers. Go figure, huh?
Same view now inverted. The doppleganger of the doppleganger. It gives the impression to the other of difference but it's not.
Bele_and_Lokai.jpg

socharlie

Is the bible understandable? I see no possible way to be an atheist, or agnostic at all let alone a believer in regards to the bible. It's literally impossible to understand based on modern reasoning. To me if you believe, if you don't believe if you are agnostic that's not reasoning that's a private conversation between 3 people. Is a private conversation reality?

old wise men said that there are 50 Gates of understanding of Bible , Nature, e.t.c. so, it is possible to understand according to the Gate one walks thru. Atheism, imo, is not natural to essence of human. It is an aberration.

David T

Premium Member
old wise men said that there are 50 Gates of understanding of Bible , Nature, e.t.c. so, it is possible to understand according to the Gate one walks thru. Atheism, imo, is not natural to essence of human. It is an aberration.
I believe, I don't believe, i am agnostic, are all atheists in a variety of clothing. While ya all worry about your clothing, the lily is laughing it's *** off. Big finger. He was a creatively malajusted individual wasn't he!!!

socharlie

I believe, I don't believe, i am agnostic, are all atheists in a variety of clothing. While ya all worry about your clothing, the lily is laughing it's *** off. Big finger. He was a creatively malajusted individual wasn't he!!!
For many thousand of years agnosticism or atheism basically was not in existence. Few here a few there ...materialism existed more widely but not in light of atheism. I know that recent environmental changes has something to do with rise of athe- agno...

David T

Premium Member
For many thousand of years agnosticism or atheism basically was not in existence. Few here a few there ...materialism existed more widely but not in light of atheism. I know that recent environmental changes has something to do with rise of athe- agno...
We can thank theology for that. Wait oh nicene creed, oh wait further back. Now we are at the cross, oh wait further back a lot further back oh wait hey we are in nature, it actually doesn't exist in books at all. Go figure it actually exists totally independent of books go figure. Look it exists and we don't have on darn book its all one one. Where did death go I don't see death is disappeared with books!!! Check that lady fish over there I am following her up stream and have fun, she is so hot!!! Now I am feeling kind of tired right now boy was that fun, I think I will take a nap right here. Life is a great swim. The pheonix a very interesting archetype early scientists called a false myth in Christianity. Because it did not exist emperically in the text. Funny how that works.
signal-2017-12-15-120655.png

socharlie

we live within Natural Order.
I am a Gnostic and mythos what Gnostics prefer to use to convey their points.

Kenny

Face to face with my Father
Premium Member

Can someone understand all of science? Of course not, but there is a starting point for growth.

The Bible is understandable... but you have to start somewhere and then keep growing in understanding for the rest of your life.

David T

Premium Member
Can someone understand all of science? Of course not, but there is a starting point for growth.

The Bible is understandable... but you have to start somewhere and then keep growing in understanding for the rest of your life.
I said based on just straight up how we think today it's impossible. Theology is well intended and delusional nonsense, but relevant to church, it's not the bible. I also said I have a degree in theology. I never said the text is not understandable. That's a whole entire different topic irrelevant to belief or theology. Totally two separate realities.

David T

Premium Member
yes, with a lot of searching.
Agreed but today it's best to Toss the bible on a camp fire, along with science math books and a dictionary and sit out and get grounded and then ask how" did the forest manifest from those books"some say the bible, some say science, some say math.... I just say that's confused!!!! Nature alive or extinction!

Hey lookie there in dead alignment with noah, in regards to our current environmental situation. Now you can say "oh that's wrong." but guess what that's what everyone said to noah. I am not building a boat no need to because I don't actually care. Extinction is not up to me nor do I care that it's a real threat. But possible extinction is in fact very very real, caused by the intellect. No human intellect no antropocene epoch just like that.