• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is it possible to believe in several religions at once?

roger1440

I do stuff
He's probably one of those people who think that Jesus is just a great spiritual teacher or a "cool guy" and that's about it.
I don't know what he is probably, but the fact is, he is a fool. The word "Christ" is Greek for the word "Messiah". Jesus can not be a little bit of a Messiah. Jesus is or is not the Christ or Messiah. Can't have it both ways.

Pegg

Jehovah our God is One
A university professor of theology (who did his PhD at Harvard so this suggests that he is intelligent person) Mark W Muesse, has an interesting approach to religion.

He doesn't subscribe to one religion but instead sees himself as different percentages of various religions including Christianity, Buddhism, Islam, Judaism, Jainism, Hinduism, Sihk etc. He adopts and believes in different aspects of these religions and makes it so that all his beliefs are compatible with one another.

My question is do you think such an approach to religion is workable or do you think it contradicts principles from the respective religions?

I think it shows a lack of commitment and conviction toward any of them.

NobodyYouKnow

Misanthropist
...and I am about to fully immerse myself in one religion and cutting off the other two.

To fully accept Hinduism and to be/become a Hindu, means that it's 'all or nothing'. I say I am a Hindu and really want to be one, but there's just this slight problem of four sacred texts I totally disagree with on every level....unfortunately, those 4 texts comprise the Vedas.

To fully accept Buddhism, means I have to forget God and I just cannot do that and especially if the God I worship, is for all intents and purposes, a Hindu one.

So, the only thing left I have is Wicca.

I am tired of arguing over Dharma...about what is 'right' and 'wrong' according to it...so maybe a 'Dharmic Religion' was a bad choice to start with.

I am comfortable believing in what I believe in...but it does put me at odds with everybody else out there...so much so, that whenever religion is discussed, I must leave the scene totally...so, I really don't know why it is I am still on here.

I came here, as an Atheist (well, a totally disillusioned Theist), became a Theist again through the experience and now, I am leaning towards Atheism again...

I should have quit while I was still ahead...

So now, it's like...yeah, done that, realised God, got enlightened...next?

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
It seems to me that you have come to similar conclusions that I have. Religions are "social constructs"(very weird that me and you use the exact same phrase as I have been using the "social construct" a lot in the past) and they emanate from cultures and individuals with biases and particular positions on matters.

I forget where I picked up usage of the term, but it was probably somewhere in my undergraduate coursework (psychology, maybe?). It's a commonly used term in academia, so it's not as weird as it might seem. :D

But it is weird that I haven't thought about religion-as-social-construct in quite a while considering how important that angle is. Most, if not all ideological affairs of the human species (whether they govern practices and behavior or not) are social constructs. They sort of have to be, because you can't take ideas and stick them in a physical box that you can visually stare at and measure. If we could do that, we could say "yes, I found this thing in this box, and it is in this box as a matter of fact!" If we said "this thing I found in this box ought to be here" it'd still be a subjective value judgement, but at least we'd know it actually came from that box, without question.

Ideas aren't physical things we can place in physical boxes, though, you know? We make imaginary boxes and put invisible things into them. And just like we argue ceaselessly about other imaginary things like (to some) gods and what they're like, we argue ceaselessly about what the imaginary boxes are and their invisible contents.

Now that mankind has intellectual evolved past exclusivity and the monopoly on god we can weed through religions and dissect them for value and their true essences instead of clinging to them like little children grasping their blankets.

What's best is the put-downs. We've even seen a few of them in this thread. I really don't have any problem with having a favorite blanket, but if you do have a favorite blanket, please have the courtesy to not say things like "well, since you don't have a favorite blanket, you lack conviction and commitment." (sorry Pegg, but it does sound rather patronizing)

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
Why should anyone assume that there's only one "messiah", or that a "messiah" could only happen in one religion in one part of the world at one very short time in history?

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
I agree with the peeps in blue, and not because I'm sucking up to the mods. :p There are certain basic truths that underlie almost all religions and belief systems. Look up prisca theologia. Humans need to assign labels, fit in, categorize and compartmentalize things, including religion. You could take verses from Christianity, Buddhism, Judaism, Hinduism, Islam, Bahá'í Faith, see the same thing said with different words and compile a belief system. You could throw out the contradictions and still have a belief system. Does it have a name? Probably not, but there's nothing wrong with that. Belief and faith are deeply personal, and while it's educational and fun to discuss, compare and contrast religions, unless they label themselves something, and have beliefs contrary to that label, there's nothing wrong with cherry-picking.

metis

A university professor of theology (who did his PhD at Harvard so this suggests that he is intelligent person) Mark W Muesse, has an interesting approach to religion.

He doesn't subscribe to one religion but instead sees himself as different percentages of various religions including Christianity, Buddhism, Islam, Judaism, Jainism, Hinduism, Sihk etc. He adopts and believes in different aspects of these religions and makes it so that all his beliefs are compatible with one another.

My question is do you think such an approach to religion is workable or do you think it contradicts principles from the respective religions?

To the "purists", as I call them, that would be a problem, but there are a great many people who simply do not believe that only one religion has all the answers and that all other religions don't contain the "right" truths.

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
I think it shows a lack of commitment and conviction toward any of them.

Why does anyone have to be committed to any single religion if one adheres to the non-conflicting tenets? Most religions are syncretic anyway.

Sha'irullah

رسول الآلهة
...and I am about to fully immerse myself in one religion and cutting off the other two.

To fully accept Hinduism and to be/become a Hindu, means that it's 'all or nothing'. I say I am a Hindu and really want to be one, but there's just this slight problem of four sacred texts I totally disagree with on every level....unfortunately, those 4 texts comprise the Vedas.

To fully accept Buddhism, means I have to forget God and I just cannot do that and especially if the God I worship, is for all intents and purposes, a Hindu one.

So, the only thing left I have is Wicca.

I am tired of arguing over Dharma...about what is 'right' and 'wrong' according to it...so maybe a 'Dharmic Religion' was a bad choice to start with.

I am comfortable believing in what I believe in...but it does put me at odds with everybody else out there...so much so, that whenever religion is discussed, I must leave the scene totally...so, I really don't know why it is I am still on here.

I came here, as an Atheist (well, a totally disillusioned Theist), became a Theist again through the experience and now, I am leaning towards Atheism again...

I should have quit while I was still ahead...

So now, it's like...yeah, done that, realised God, got enlightened...next?

I do not mean to proselytize Deism always but I highly recommend you just become a Deist :).

Deists in the past like Thomas Jefferson and Abdul ala al-Ma'arri have held strong belief in god but also used religion to symbolize their beliefs and extract theological insight from them.

I myself extract vast amounts of wisdom from the Gita, Tanakh, Shiva Purana and especially the Qur'an. I do not believe they are of divine revelation but I do believe they are of divine inspiration(there is a difference).

Sha'irullah

رسول الآلهة
Why does anyone have to be committed to any single religion if one adheres to the non-conflicting tenets? Most religions are syncretic anyway.

People fail to realize that all religions evolved over time with mankind. Hinduism evolved during great periods and they do not deny this and they take pride in it. It is the reason why it has lasted for so long if not the longest. Hinduism went through a Vedic period, a Puranic period and a late Puranic period. Knowledge that was acquired during those times was assimilated into the religion and philosophy. One could say that Hinduism itself went through a cycle of "rebirth" ;).

Islam and Christianity all came from Judaism and Judaism came from Semitic paganism. Now we are made to believe paganism is evil to the point it leaves a bad taste in our mouths. The Akkadians and Sumerians are partially responsible for contributing to the Tanakh indirectly. Now strictly organized religions have been created with the aim or destroying anything before it to appear more special and mimic "divine creation".

Vinayak Savarkar said:
"I do not consider any religious scripture to be unchangeable and valid for all times. I hold the shrutis, smritis (* shrutis literally that which is heard and understood refers to the Vedas and are considered to be the most authoritative texts in Sanatana dharma; the smritis are the lawbooks and manuals of Hinduism, and they have lesser authority than the shrutis) and such other scriptures in utmost reverence and gratitude not because they are inviolable holy scriptures but because they are of historical value. I shall apply the test of present day science to all the wisdom and ignorance present in these scriptures. Only then shall I unreservedly practice and update what is essential for upholding and rejuvenating the nation!"

All religions have ups and downs but this is why as human beings we must reform them.

When people disagree with a religious tenet they think the religion is no longer special in relation to god....incorrect. If a person finds a single scientific hypothesis or theory wrong that does not mean that science is wrong and is to be discarded. Imagine how Einstein felt when he was proven wrong over one of his greatest achievements.

You do not need prophethood to create a text deemed sacred. Thomas Paine wrote one of the greatest theological text of all time and he denied divine guidance altogether. We must think of god in relation of what we can understand about him and not in relation to what we think he has given us.

We as human beings have been working backwards for centuries.

Brickjectivity

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
...bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things. Love never fails. But whether [there are] prophecies, they will fail; whether [there are] tongues, they will cease; whether [there is] knowledge, it will vanish away. For we know in part and we prophesy in part....
For Christians, that is I Corinthians 13 verses 7 through 9. Very challenging, since it points out prophesies can fail, so for those who believe prophecies are about predicting the future or defining doctrines it is a challenge. For those who believe Jesus 'I am the way' means that he doesn't recognize other religions, it is also a challenge since 'Love believes all things.' For those who believe in the strength of particular translations or methods of interpreting it is a challenge, because 'Tongues, they will cease' which is actually quite obvious. Latin, for example, is mostly a dead tongue; and Hebrew was a dead tongue for a long, long time. Actually there is very little stopping a Christian from believing things that other Christians don't as long as they remain obedient and continue to believe what is required. After all, two thousand years have passed and languages have died. Love is the thing that hasn't changed.

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member

That's not necessarily so. For the most part Buddhism is non-theistic, not a-theistic: God in Buddhism and The Eternal Buddha of Shin Buddhism. Buddhism is as diverse as Hinduism is. Some schools of Buddhism, mostly Tibetan, have Adi-Buddha, which is the source of all Buddha-dhātu, Buddha-nature. It can be analogized to Nirguna Brahman or the Tao, which are both deistic.

Levite

Higher and Higher
From what you describe, he isn't following any religion.

In picking specific noncontradictory tenets, he is building a belief system that only he follows. Rather that practicing them all, he practices none. And there is nothing necessarily wrong in that; if that is how he perceives God, then good for him.

This.

But also, it depends on the religion: there is nothing that prevents a Christian from also being a Taoist, or a Buddhist from being a Confucianist, for example. But I think it would be hard to be both a practicing Pagan and a practicing Mormon, or both a Muslim and a follower of the Navajo Way. Certainly one cannot be an observant Jew and also anything else.

What is more possible is to be a good syncretist, and glean from other religions new ideas and concepts to enrich one's own, and to carefully adapt and reconcile such introductions to blend well into one's traditions.

Levite

Higher and Higher
You forgot the JuBus, as long as the "Bus" part is just taking a philosophical approach.

Observant JuBus don't practice the religion of Buddhism, they practice the philosophy of Buddhism. I would call that borderline, but essentially acceptable syncretism.

metis

Observant JuBus don't practice the religion of Buddhism, they practice the philosophy of Buddhism.

Depends on how one defines "observant JuBus". There are Jews who very much observe and practice Buddhism, so they are "observant" of Buddhism, but probably not of Judaism-- unless one's Judaism is of the very liberal variety.

idea

Question Everything
I think most of the principles of most religions overlap - so that if you believe in one, you inadvertently believe in the others too.

Matthew 10:39 - [H]e that loseth his life for my sake shall find it.
The Bhagavad Gita – “Through selfless service, you will always be fruitful and find the fulfillment of your desires”: this is the promise of the Creator.
Matt 5:44 – less them that curse you, do good to them that hate you.
The Dhammapada – Let us live in joy, never hating those who hate us.
Mark 9:35 - If any man desire to be first, the same shall be last of all, and servant of all.
Tao Te Ching
– If the sage wants to be above the people, in his words, he must put himself below them; If he wishes to be before the people, in his person, he must stand behind them.
Matthew 7:3 – And why beholdest thou the mote that is in thy brother’s eye, but considerest not the beam that is in thine own eye?
The Dhammapada – Do not give your attention to what others do or fail to do; give it to what you do or fail to do.
Luke 6:38 - Give, and it shall be given unto you; good measure, pressed down, and shaken together, and running over, shall men give into your bosom.
Tao Te Ching – The sage does not hoard. The more he does for others, the more he has himself; The more he gives to others, the more his own bounty increases.
Proverbs 23:7 -For as [a man] thinketh in his heart, so is he.
The Dhammapada – [W]e become what we think.
John 14:15, 15:4,10 – If ye love me, keep my commandments. Abide in me . . . . If ye keep my commandments, ye shall abide in my love.
The Bhagavad Gita – [T]hose who worship me with love live in me, and I come to life in them.
Proverbs 15:1- A soft answer turneth away wrath.
The Dhammapada – Speak quietly to everyone, and they too will be gentle in their speech.
Luke 14:11 - For whosoever exalteth himself shall be abased; and he that humbleth himself shall be exalted.
Tao Te Ching – The unyielding and mighty shall be brought low; the soft, supple, and delicate will be set above.
Proverbs 16:32 -He that is slow to anger is better than the mighty; and he that ruleth his spirit than he that taketh a city.
The Dhammapada – One who conquers himself is greater than another who conquers a thousand times a thousand men on the battlefield.
D&C 38:16 -. . . I am no respecter of persons.
The Bhagavad Gita – . . . none are less dear to me and none are more dear.
2 Nephi 26:22 – [Y]ea, and [the devil] leadeth them by the neck with a flaxen cord, until he bindeth them with his strong cords forever.
The Dhammapada – Little by little a person becomes evil, as a water pot is filled by drops of water.
D&C 93:29 -Man was also in the beginning with God. Intelligence, or the light of truth, was not created or made, neither indeed can be.
The Bhagavad Gita – There never has been a time when you . . . have not existed, nor will there be a time when we will cease to exist. The body is mortal, but he who dwells in the body is immortal and immeasurable.
Mosiah 4:30 – f ye do not watch yourselves, and your thoughts, and your words, and your deeds, . . . ye must perish.
The Dhammapada – Guard your thoughts, words, and deeds. These three disciplines will speed you along the path to pure wisdom.

How Mormons Are Buddhists & Vice Versa | Mormonlady & Friends

No, it's not possible to fully believe in Islam, judaism, christianity, and other religions at the same time. Besides the fact that Islam believes in salvific exclusivity, salvation only through it, those other religions' belief in God is not compatible with the Islamic belief in The Creator of the universe. Muslims don't believe The Creator is some sort of spatial entity that exists somewhere high up, or is an entity encompassed by directions or places. Muslims believe God exists and is One without a partner (and that every single moment is created by The Creator), existed before light, darkness, Heaven, time, directions, such as above and below, and all places and exists without the aforementioned. The Creator exists without time, distance and direction, spaces, and places. This belief can't be reconciled with the belief that God rested (what christians and jews say), or that God is a father or son (what christians say), or that there are multiple (so-called) gods (what hindus say), or that God created everything then left it to run by certain laws (what deists say). It's not understandable how one would purportedly believe in several religions at once when they have conflicting views.

metis

I would rather be around a person who does some mixing and matching of religious ideas than one who takes the "my way or the highway" approach, the latter of which has been so destructive over the centuries.

idea

Question Everything
No, it's not possible to fully believe in Islam, judaism, christianity, and other religions at the same time. ....

It's possible to believe in love, sacrifice, humility, kindness, and being good all at the same time - and all of the religions you just listed, at their core, hold these eternal values to be equally precious.