• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is It Possible To Be Religious And Be a Good Person?

BSM1

What? Me worry?
Anything's possible...

BTW, I was once doing a job in a large local cathedral when my rapier wit got me in trouble. In total jest I made the comment that if I were a little more dishonest I could be a preacher. Guess who didn't have a sense of humor....

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
The title says it all.
Well....is it?
Oh, of course! I think. Am I not a good person? Are most of us here not good people? Does religious means believing? I am. Or does religious mean strict adherence to dogma? I am not.

I think that if religious means the second one then no, it is not possible to be an overall good person because it is the dogma that you see and never the plain person alone.

Is good dogma possible? I do not think so because dogma is one and people are all different. Which reminds of the ridiculousness of the Jehovah's Witness' dogma. It does not matter to them if you are a child, a new person, or a mature adult who has been a JW for most of his life. They all have to be in line together with the same JW dogma.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
The religious can be good people provided they are isolated in homogenous communities and not subjected to outside temptations, ie: "delivered from temptation."

Without the internalized morality of the non-believers, those supported by the unstable crutches of deontological religious doctrine are likely to topple when confronted with novel situations.

Last edited:

Erebus

No.

There's a secret rule that every religious person knows about which is that you have to slap unattended babies. Oh sure people might claim something like, "There's no such rule. That's ridiculous." To which I say prove it! Can you definitively prove that there is no such rule that religious people all know about and simply pretend doesn't exist? You can't! Denial is just further proof of the conspiracy.

How many parents have heard their baby suddenly start crying in another room for no apparent reason? Well there is a reason. A religious person saw the baby by itself and broke into the house to give it a good slap before disappearing again like a ninja in the night.

Salvador

RF's Swedenborgian
Depends how seriously one follows religion.....I reckon anything in moderation is fine, could even be fun...however, obsessions tend to become problematic.

MikeDwight

Hey stop asking questions, work... woooork….
th

Heyo

Veteran Member
The title says it all.
Well....is it?
Is it possible to be a vegan and be a good person?
Yes, but it is less likely. People seem to have a budget for "being good". So, if you are already "being good" by being a vegan (or religious), you have a lesser budget for being good otherwise.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Oh, of course! I think. Am I not a good person? Are most of us here not good people? Does religious means believing? I am. Or does religious mean strict adherence to dogma? I am not.

I think that if religious means the second one then no, it is not possible to be an overall good person because it is the dogma that you see and never the plain person alone.

Is good dogma possible? I do not think so because dogma is one and people are all different. Which reminds of the ridiculousness of the Jehovah's Witness' dogma. It does not matter to them if you are a child, a new person, or a mature adult who has been a JW for most of his life. They all have to be in line together with the same JW dogma.
How sure are you that you're a good person?
Did you ever get certified?

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Is it possible to be a vegan and be a good person?
Yes, but it is less likely. People seem to have a budget for "being good". So, if you are already "being good" by being a vegan (or religious), you have a lesser budget for being good otherwise.
Aye, tis a zero sum game for each person.
If one is kind to small animals, then one will talk loudly during movies.

Reactions: Jim

MikeDwight

The Turkey Competition on South Park stands for the Trinity also... The upstaging turkey thinks it is a better lamb for the sacrifice of Thanksgiving in America, when En Pauperis, even the retard Turkey, it enters the processing plant, and all the others God chose to die, but the humble turkey's neck hangs sideways.