• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is it not time to add all gods to the list of fictional beings?

Sha'irullah

رسول الآلهة
Considering that many gods and other mythical beings were claimed to have existed and now are common themes in Hollywood films should we not do the same for the rest?

Gods are profound creation in the world of story telling so is it not proper to include every other gods into this art? Should films not spin tales of Yahweh, Krishna and Allah?

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
Considering that many gods and other mythical beings were claimed to have existed and now are common themes in Hollywood films should we not do the same for the rest?

Gods are profound creation in the world of story telling so is it not proper to include every other gods into this art? Should films not spin tales of Yahweh, Krishna and Allah?
Considering that god is the image of god, when is it not the time (to add all gods to the list of fictional beings)?

Sha'irullah

رسول الآلهة
Considering that god is the image of god, when is it not the time (to add all gods to the list of fictional beings)?

When we realize we cannot sustain their existence as a logically conclusive decision. Simple as that.

Try telling a person the earth flat and see how that argument holds up

Faybull

Can you show that Yahweh, isn't a mighty man? Otherwise, unless man is fiction, let's put the thought on a shelf.

arthra

Baha'i

Hollywood and other such industries have long used religious themes.. There were silent film epics and such.. The recent film about Moses and so on is part of this..

Entertainment industry uses imagination and entertainment..... The accuracy of these films is usually not very high..that is, they are telling a story to cater to their audiences. A student of history however will have a different view... based on actual research and appreciation for historical accuracy... I think first hand study of the scriptures in their languages and appreciation for the social/historical context is essential and can aid in better understanding among religious people and comprehension of other traditions.

psychoslice

Veteran Member
I feel that god in all scriptures should be seen as metaphors, allegorical, and myth, this way there will be no arguing over who's god is the greatest, believing in scripture as being literally true has caused all sorts of problems and ignorance.

Faybull

I feel that god in all scriptures should be seen as metaphors, allegorical, and myth, this way there will be no arguing over who's god is the greatest, believing in scripture as being literally true has caused all sorts of problems and ignorance.

Someone once told me that there is no fiction where there is no truth.

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
.....................................Should films not spin tales of Yahweh, Krishna and Allah?

You clearly are not a film buff. Nor am I, by the way, but I have watched such films as Ben Hur. Moses, etc......

But where you think that all Gods are mythical........... We don't. :)

Thana

Lady

Heh. Oh you.

Come on, The majority of the world is Theist and has been for most of recorded history.
Besides, Most of the God/s you say have gone 'Hollywood' are still worshipped to this day. You calling them fictional does not make them so :)

P.S - The Abrahamic God has been in dozens of films, Even anime. I don't know where you're getting this idea that they've somehow been exempt?

beenherebeforeagain

Rogue Animist
Premium Member
When we realize we cannot sustain their existence as a logically conclusive decision. Simple as that.

Try telling a person the earth flat and see how that argument holds up

I don't think that Gods/God were ever proposed as a logically conclusive solution. Belief in God/gods comes from the emotions, the experience, not the use of reason, at least that's my opinion.

And, frankly, many people have already treated them gods/god as fiction, even though many still treat them as real. So how are you going to make those who still believe in them agree that they're fiction?

beenherebeforeagain

Rogue Animist
Premium Member

Okay, so the pathway is to now convince everyone who believes in gods/god to give up their beliefs and adopt your point of view. You will convince them, how?

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
The problem with this, is that "fictional" tends to read "not real/existing" in the eyes of the mainstream culture. And, "not real/existing" tends to read "delusion" and "worthless" and "falsehoods" and "stupid" in mainstream culture.

Until we reframe our ontological perspective about what it means for something to be real and to exist, it is ill-advised to take that which others find sacred and stuff it in the "fiction" box. People are going to take offense.