• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is it not time to add all gods to the list of fictional beings?

pearl

I think first hand study of the scriptures in their languages and appreciation for the social/historical context is essential and can aid in better understanding among religious people and comprehension of other traditions.

Then movie goers would complain they didn't follow the 'script'. I don't know if their attention span could handle it.

Mohammad Nur Syamsu

Considering that many gods and other mythical beings were claimed to have existed and now are common themes in Hollywood films should we not do the same for the rest?

Gods are profound creation in the world of story telling so is it not proper to include every other gods into this art? Should films not spin tales of Yahweh, Krishna and Allah?

You categorize wrongly. Gods belong in the category together with love, hate and the soul. For all in this category, 1 it is a matter of opinion whether or not they are real, and 2 all in this category choose.

Including you yourself as being the owner of your decisions, it cannot even be established that you in fact exist, it is a matter of opinion whether or not you are real. Your body and brain can be measured, but not you as being who chooses what your body and brain does.

That is purely a matter of logic, one can only identify what it is that makes a decision turn out the way it does in a free way (opinion), and not forced by evidence (fact). Only the freedom of opinion is compatible with the freedom you have in choosing. Force does not work with freedom obviously.

This is why religion is generally focused on faith and revelation, because faith is a way of forming an opinion, and only opinion is capable to deal with the issue of what makes a decision turn out the way it does. The resulting decisions can just be measured as fact.

Fantasy figures, their existence is a matter of fact, as being fantasy figures, not in nature ofcourse.Fantasy figures are chosen. But when you ask what it is that made the decisions turn out the way they did, by which fantasy figures were created, then that is a matter of opinion again, and you may opine about love, hate, fear and such.

Last edited:

psychoslice

Veteran Member
Without presenting the Reality through metaphors, allegory and myth, the tradition would never have survived. It is 'story' that is
easily remembered and handed on.
Yes that's how it was once, but now many are using the scriptures to hide behind, they cling to them and make idols out of them. This is sad because they miss out on the beauty of the scriptures, the scriptures themselves are not the truth, its where they point to that the truth is realized.

nazz

Doubting Thomas
Considering that many gods and other mythical beings were claimed to have existed and now are common themes in Hollywood films should we not do the same for the rest?

Gods are profound creation in the world of story telling so is it not proper to include every other gods into this art? Should films not spin tales of Yahweh, Krishna and Allah?
I think it would be cool to make a film where all the gods interact with one another

SomeRandom

Still learning to be wise
Staff member
Premium Member

They already do that. All the freaking time. 10 Commandments/Prince of Egypt and Ben Hur. Although both were pretty respectful of their representation of God. New Noah movie, The new Moses movie, there was a series on the Bible stories which was edited for a Theatrical release and countless retellings of Jesus' sacrifice have graced the big screen. Hell Monty Python have a parody movie called the Life of Brian, mocking how a religious story might start.

But often Western interpretations of other Gods/Goddess prove to be very touchy. Like for example Kali in Western Media was presented as a highly sexually active Warrior (Supernatural) which upset a lot of people. That episode even included an Odin with two functioning eyes, Ganesh who for some odd reason ate people and Baron Samedi. The episode was seen as highly offensive by multiple religious groups. But the show had already said some arguably blasphemous things about the Christian God, so I chose to see it as just a bit of silly fantasy.
Kali was also referenced as some demonic (or at least demonic sounding) source for a cult of heart ripping out peeps in the movie Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom. The movie was viewed in a less than favorable light by a majority of Hindus. But again, Mola Ram and his followers are supposed to be villains, thus they won't necessarily represent modern Kali devotees very accurately. So I give the movie a pass (barely.) Krishna and I think Hunumanji were presented in an episode of Xena: Warrior Princess once. They even got a devout Hindu as a consultant. But since the characters were very flawed humans instead of.........well Gods, this offended many people.
As for a representation of Allah in Western Media? Well........ even South Park won't go there!

So no. They might be a very good source for a cool narrative. But unless they have a long history of being actually flawed beings (like the Roman and Greek Gods) then I doubt many interesting movie representations will come out, at least without a **** ton of controversy.

Last edited:

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
Should films not spin tales of Yahweh, Krishna and Allah?

Deities of most religions are simply not interesting enough to make movies about. Allah cannot be depicted; Yahweh has been depicted in one way or another; movies about the Hindu deities are very popular in... [drumroll]... India.The Norse gods, with the exception of Thor, being a god of action, are not all that interesting either.

The only reason Thor has been popularized through Marvel Comics is because Stan Lee wanted to do something mythological, but felt the Greek gods ran their course in entertainment. And even Marvel's Thor is but a shadow of Norse Thor. Frigga is not Thor's mother (she's his step-mother); he's actually 3/4 jotnar (the giants he fights); he was never banished to Earth as he's been in the comics and movie; he does not have blond hair nor is he clean-shaven; he does not wear armor or a winged helmet (or any helmet, for that matter)... so even the real Thor had to be punched up to be interesting to the general public.

Nietzsche

The Last Prussian
Premium Member
Deities of most religions are simply not interesting enough to make movies about. Allah cannot be depicted; Yahweh has been depicted in one way or another; movies about the Hindu deities are very popular in... [drumroll]... India.The Norse gods, with the exception of Thor, being a god of action, are not all that interesting either.

The only reason Thor has been popularized through Marvel Comics is because Stan Lee wanted to do something mythological, but felt the Greek gods ran their course in entertainment. And even Marvel's Thor is but a shadow of Norse Thor. Frigga is not Thor's mother (she's his step-mother); he's actually 3/4 jotnar (the giants he fights); he was never banished to Earth as he's been in the comics and movie; he does not have blond hair nor is he clean-shaven; he does not wear armor or a winged helmet (or any helmet, for that matter)... so even the real Thor had to be punched up to be interesting to the general public.
As someone who likes comic books and the (good) movies based on them, I think Marvel's Thor, while he is obviously very different from his inspiration, at least has the right personality.

Thor in the movies and comics is the most noble of the Gods and the first to come to Mankind's aid, without being asked. Friend/Protector of Mankind indeed.

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
As someone who likes comic books and the (good) movies based on them, I think Marvel's Thor, while he is obviously very different from his inspiration, at least has the right personality.

Thor in the movies and comics is the most noble of the Gods and the first to come to Mankind's aid, without being asked. Friend/Protector of Mankind indeed.

Yes, definitely. I'm not complaining - I like movie Thor (for more than an obvious reason :D) - just pointing out how different. I am thankful Stan Lee kept most of Thor's personality traits intact. I'm not very knowledgeable on the comics, other than the basics, but I think movie Thor reflects Norse Thor in a few areas, the important ones: loyalty, fearlessness, compassion, leads with his chin, generally dislikes deception ("How unlike you brother, so clandestine. Wouldn't you rather just punch your way out?"), reference to him not being the brightest bulb on the Yule tree (which makes him all the more endearing as the uber-jock): "And what of Thor? You'll make that witless oaf king while I rot in chains?". I think the blond haired, blue eyed Thor is in keeping with general conception of what the Norse looked like. But not all were blond haired and blue-eyed. I think if comics / movie Thor was shown with red hair and a red beard, wearing a tunic and breeches, it wouldn't go over very well... more like "who the [enter favorite expletive] is that!?"

Nietzsche

The Last Prussian
Premium Member
Yes, definitely. I'm not complaining - I like movie Thor (for more than an obvious reason :D) - just pointing out how different. I am thankful Stan Lee kept most of Thor's personality traits intact. I'm not very knowledgeable on the comics, other than the basics, but I think movie Thor reflects Norse Thor in a few areas, the important ones: loyalty, fearlessness, compassion, leads with his chin, generally dislikes deception ("How unlike you brother, so clandestine. Wouldn't you rather just punch your way out?"), reference to him not being the brightest bulb on the Yule tree (which makes him all the more endearing as the uber-jock): "And what of Thor? You'll make that witless oaf king while I rot in chains?". I think the blond haired, blue eyed Thor is in keeping with general conception of what the Norse looked like. But not all were blond haired and blue-eyed. I think if comics / movie Thor was shown with red hair and a red beard, wearing a tunic and breeches, it wouldn't go over very well... more like "who the [enter favorite expletive] is that!?"
Basically.

I also like the dynamic with Loki. While obviously Loki isn't supposed to be Odin's son, I think they make the dynamic all the more heart-wrenching by doing so. This isn't just a close friend of Odin's anymore. It's a boy he adopted, both for the sake of the child and to bring peace between Asgard, Jotunheim and Midgard.

Also, fun fact- In the comics, Fenrir, Hel and Jormungand are all still Loki's children. And Thor is their doting, spoiling uncle. It's precious.

Riverwolf

Amateur Rambler / Proud Ergi
Premium Member

Ever play Smite? ;)

jeager106

Learning more about Jehovah.
Premium Member
I feel that god in all scriptures should be seen as metaphors, allegorical, and myth, this way there will be no arguing over who's god is the greatest, believing in scripture as being literally true has caused all sorts of problems and ignorance.

"no arguing over"???????????????? Oh yes there would be. Humans being what they are you see.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
The problem with this, is that "fictional" tends to read "not real/existing" in the eyes of the mainstream culture. And, "not real/existing" tends to read "delusion" and "worthless" and "falsehoods" and "stupid" in mainstream culture.

Until we reframe our ontological perspective about what it means for something to be real and to exist, it is ill-advised to take that which others find sacred and stuff it in the "fiction" box. People are going to take offense.
I'm fine with gods being like the characters in Aesop's fables: not literally true themselves, but used to express meaningful things that can have a truth of their own.

Riverwolf

Amateur Rambler / Proud Ergi
Premium Member
Never heard of it. If it is a video game then my interest int hose things is pretty much done. I have barely gone through any of the quests in Skyrim and I had that game since earlier of this year and it is boring.

Blasphemer. :p

Smite is a third-person action MOBA game (that is, the rules are like League of Legends or Defense of the Ancients, but the gameplay is more in line with a sort of combination of Diablo III's button-based commands and God of War's action, with the camera of a standard 3D action-platformer ala Banjo-Kazooie). If it weren't for the fact that I'm not good with MOBAs and very much suck at team-playing when I'm with strangers, I'd be far more all over this free-to-play online e-sport.

It's colorful roster of characters includes:

Shenjiao:
-Ao Kuang
-Chang'e
-Guan Yu
-He Bo
-Hou Yi
-Ne Zha
-Nu Wa
-Zhong Kui
-And of course SON WU-FREAKING-KONG THE MONKEY KING AKA THE GUY WHO WAS SO BAD*** THAT HIS METHOD FOR BECOMING IMMORTAL WAS BY JUST WALTZING THROUGH THE GATES OF HELL AND STROLLING UP TO THE BOOK OF LIFE AND DEATH, AND SCRATCHING HIS NAME OFF OF IT!!!! (oh and with his Japanese translated name, he was the primary inspiration for Son Goku from Dragon Ball, and he's the primary inspiration for the Gen4 Pokemon Infernape, nerd pride)

Kemeticism:
-Anhur
-Anubis
-Bastet
-Geb
-Isis
-Neith
-Osiris
-Ra
-Serqet
-Sobek

Hellenism:
-Aphrodite
-Apollo
-Arachne
-Ares
-Artemis
-Athena
-Chronos
-Hades
-Nemesis
-Poseidon
-Scylla
-Thanatos
-Zeus

Mayan Religion (sadly no sexy name for itself as far as I know, yet):
-Ah Muzen Cab
-Awilix
-Cabrakan
-Chaac
-Hun Batz
-Kukulkan
-Xbalanque

Asatru:
-Fenrir
-Freya
-Hel
-Loki
-Odin
-Thor
-Tyr
-Ullr
-Ymir

Religio Romana:
-Bacchus
-Cupid
-Hercules
-Janus
-Mercury
-Nox
-Sylvanus
-Vulcan

And last but not least, Hinduism:
-Agni
-Bakasura
-Kumbhakarna
-Rama
-Vamana
-Kali (who was the centerpiece for a controversy that truly baffled me, and ended up turning her in-game character who was my main the few times I played from being true to her Lore and Image, to a warrior-goddess stereotype)

Soo... yeah. We'll never see Allah in there, or YHWH/Elohim, since they're deliberately left vague in description. But count me quite happy if Jesus appeared as a status/healer who's primary gimmick was not being able to fight, but enabling others to fight (I come not to bring peace but the sword) and healing/buffing them. Angels from Abrahamic Mythology can also appear to help fill out the roster. Bring in Michael, Gabriel, Lucifer!

Movies... well, maybe it's my gamer showing, but I think movies just aren't the best place for this sort of thing. Games allow it better, IMO.

Last edited:

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
I'm fine with gods being like the characters in Aesop's fables: not literally true themselves, but used to express meaningful things that can have a truth of their own.

Which really, is and has been the entire point of mythology and gods since their inception within the realm of human ideas...