• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is it MORE perfect?

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
I'm not sure what you're calling unity of the people. The Southern States were united. That didn't matter apparently. They were not united by the people of the the U.S. after the war. There was division then and still is today. Just look at your red and blue states.
The people united either as Yankees or Confederates. They were not unified as a nation, and thus the nation was not unified.

Good-Ole-Rebel

The people united either as Yankees or Confederates. They were not unified as a nation, and thus the nation was not unified.

Thus the nation is not unified today. It is 'united' by political bands forced by the bayonet. It is not united by the will of the people as exercised through individual states.

Good-Ole-Rebel

Ayjaydee

It never has been a democracy, not in usual sense of the word. The Founding Fathers actually did not like democracy, seeing it hardly any better than mob rule.
It never has been a democracy, not in usual sense of the word. The Founding Fathers actually did not like democracy, seeing it hardly any better than mob rule.
Spare me your semantic word games, I've heard it all before. Usual sense of the word is a smokescreen

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Spare me your semantic word games, I've heard it all before. Usual sense of the word is a smokescreen
But it's a fact America was not established to be a democracy. The Founding Fathers didn't like them. The concept is called "Western Liberal Democracy," but it's a bit of a misnomer as these systems do include systems such as monarchies and republics, and states that mix-and-match different styles (what pretty much everybody does anyways).

Ayjaydee

But it's a fact America was not established to be a democracy. The Founding Fathers didn't like them. The concept is called "Western Liberal Democracy," but it's a bit of a misnomer as these systems do include systems such as monarchies and republics, and states that mix-and-match different styles (what pretty much everybody does anyways).
As I said, word games. The fact remains that the citizens have had their power stripped.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
As I said, word games. The fact remains that the citizens have had their power stripped.
It's not word games. Americans do not elect a President, and it used to be they didn't elect Senators. But the vote for Senators was gained. Some rights have been lost, but it is not from the perspective of America ever having been a democracy. That simply never has been and never was.

Ayjaydee

J
It's not word games. Americans do not elect a President, and it used to be they didn't elect Senators. But the vote for Senators was gained. Some rights have been lost, but it is not from the perspective of America ever having been a democracy. That simply never has been and never was.
There are many types of democracies and far more astute commentators than you have said differently. And as I said, it's all downhill from here. Try and enjoy the ride

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
J

There are many types of democracies and far more astute commentators than you have said differently. And as I said, it's all downhill from here. Try and enjoy the ride
Do you deny historic fact? Basic political science concepts and definitions? Largely, what I have said in this thread regarding America as a democracy, commentators who say radically different don't take their job very seriously. America is not a democracy. And it isn't one, because as every US History text book worth its weight will say, the Founding Fathers saw it as hardly any better than mob rule. So Americans don't elect the President, the Electoral College does. Americans didn't elect Senators, the House members did. Voting wasn't a right for all, but property owning men because it was assumed they would be more likely to have enough of an education to be informed enough to make at least a half-arsed educated guess when they vote.

Ayjaydee

Do you deny historic fact? Basic political science concepts and definitions? Largely, what I have said in this thread regarding America as a democracy, commentators who say radically different don't take their job very seriously. America is not a democracy. And it isn't one, because as every US History text book worth its weight will say, the Founding Fathers saw it as hardly any better than mob rule. So Americans don't elect the President, the Electoral College does. Americans didn't elect Senators, the House members did. Voting wasn't a right for all, but property owning men because it was assumed they would be more likely to have enough of an education to be informed enough to make at least a half-arsed educated guess when they vote.
Lol, keep narrowing that definition all you like. The fact remains it's all over no matter what you choose to call it

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Lol, keep narrowing that definition all you like. The fact remains it's all over no matter what you choose to call it
You haven't even said how it's over. It suffered Andrew Jackson. The Red Scare. Japanese concentration camps. Rights have been stripped, corruption throughout, and always people say its the end of the world but it never is.

Ayjaydee

You haven't even said how it's over. It suffered Andrew Jackson. The Red Scare. Japanese concentration camps. Rights have been stripped, corruption throughout, and always people say its the end of the world but it never is.
America isn't over. Its view of itself is over. And over is not a discrete instant, it's a process