• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is it MORE perfect?

Jeremiah Ames

“We the People of the United States, in Order to form a more perfect Union”

The above was written during the early days of the formation of the United States. It became the supreme law of the land.

My question: Does it feel like we have “a MORE perfect union” today than we did some 3 years ago, before trump became president?

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
It felt "more perfect" as a child when the Cold War was coming to an end. It's what I was being told and on TV and the newspapers West and East Germany were dissolving into one and the Soviet Bloc collapsed. The economy was doing well and did better, and better yet. But during this time wars and military conflicts continued, bad situations and problems with cults, some nasty school shootings, more terrorism, a nasty crippling of rights and disregard for the Constitution, more terrorism and war, and the economy tanked.
It was more perfect when freedom of press, speech, and especially peaecefully assembled were granted as state given rights was something radical. But, anymore, it only seems "more perfect" when it has an enemy to fear and defeat, to give the illusion of "more perfect" compared dogmatic tyrants and violent theocracies. Other than that, the rest of the "modern/developed" world has replaced America as the "more perfect union."

Jeremiah Ames

It felt "more perfect" as a child when the Cold War was coming to an end. It's what I was being told and on TV and the newspapers West and East Germany were dissolving into one and the Soviet Bloc collapsed. The economy was doing well and did better, and better yet. But during this time wars and military conflicts continued, bad situations and problems with cults, some nasty school shootings, more terrorism, a nasty crippling of rights and disregard for the Constitution, more terrorism and war, and the economy tanked.
It was more perfect when freedom of press, speech, and especially peaecefully assembled were granted as state given rights was something radical. But, anymore, it only seems "more perfect" when it has an enemy to fear and defeat, to give the illusion of "more perfect" compared dogmatic tyrants and violent theocracies. Other than that, the rest of the "modern/developed" world has replaced America as the "more perfect union."
I completely agree with your last line.
I wish I wasn’t so old.
I’d be outta here in a flash.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
This song says it for me. It compares the Revolutionary War and the Civil War to these times. It was WAY before trump and the trump party, but it's true today.

The Hammer

[REDACTED]
Premium Member

The above was written during the early days of the formation of the United States. It became the supreme law of the land.

My question: Does it feel like we have “a MORE perfect union” today than we did some 3 years ago, before trump became president?

Nope, by your mileage may vary.

exchemist

Veteran Member

Rhetorical question? :D

SoyLeche

meh...
It was more perfect than the Articles of Confederation...

The union of the states is plenty strong still. The union of the people not as much.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
It was more perfect than the Articles of Confederation...

The union of the states is plenty strong still. The union of the people not as much.
The union of the people is, more or less, the basis on which the union of the state is built.

Good-Ole-Rebel

The union of the people is, more or less, the basis on which the union of the state is built.

I'm not sure about that. The Union is based upon the individual states agreeing to unify under one government. It is not based upon unifying the people. The U.S. is based upon State representation. Not the mass of people.

Good-Ole-Rebel

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.

I think we're going to have a more perfect Civil War 2.0

Ayjaydee

A failed experiment

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
The Union is based upon the individual states agreeing to unify under one government.
Individual states agreeing to it is irrelevant at this point as post-Civil War no state can succeed the Union.
It is not based upon unifying the people.
The unity and division of the people is what ignited both the Revolutionary and Civil wars. When the people are united, a state can be healthy. But when the people are not united a state cannot stand.

Good-Ole-Rebel

Individual states agreeing to it is irrelevant at this point as post-Civil War no state can succeed the Union.

The unity and division of the people is what ignited both the Revolutionary and Civil wars. When the people are united, a state can be healthy. But when the people are not united a state cannot stand.

Though it is now illegal to secede, I don't think it removes the possibility of secession. You see minor steps toward it with 'sanctuary cities'. The division is so great in this country now, and growing, I think it is only a matter of time before a state makes an attempt at it.

I'm not sure what you're calling unity of the people. The Southern States were united. That didn't matter apparently. They were not united by the people of the the U.S. after the war. There was division then and still is today. Just look at your red and blue states.

That's what happens when you force unity by the bayonet. 1865.

Good-Ole-Rebel

Good-Ole-Rebel

Not so much as it is still very much an ongoing experiment and effort. The Founders did leave the Constitution open for amending and adjusting for a reason.

But, when one side views the Constitution as not worth the paper it is printed on, what then?

Good-Ole-Rebel