• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is Islamophobia bigotry?

Notanumber

A Free Man
Before you call this man an Islamophobe have the courtesy to watch this video.

It is very enlightening but very concerning for anyone that values freedom of speech.

Kangaroo Feathers

Yea, it is written in the Book of Cyril...
Are people to be blamed for bigotry, or are they just being cautious in light that radical terrorism in the name of islam makes people distrust Muslims in general?
When you judge an entire group based on a tiny minority of members, that's a pretty much textbook definition of bigotry
Who's fault is it when people are made to feel that way? Themselves, media, or Islamist jihad?
All of the above, plus human inherent tribalism, and politicians who demonise others for political gain.

Kangaroo Feathers

Yea, it is written in the Book of Cyril...
Before you call this man an Islamophobe have the courtesy to watch this video.

It is very enlightening but very concerning for anyone that values freedom of speech.
Just pointing out the irony in complaining about the "death of free speech" on a public forum by posting a clip from the world's most mainstream, popular website.

Notanumber

A Free Man
Just pointing out the irony in complaining about the "death of free speech" on a public forum by posting a clip from the world's most mainstream, popular website.

You refused to watch it then, but at least you haven’t called him an Islamophobe which makes you one of the few.

icehorse

......unaffiliated...... anti-dogmatist
Premium Member
You are assuming that after experiencing secularism, pluralism, civil rights and equality these humans will fail to reform their beliefs, just as Christians have managed to do. I think there is a touch of bigotry or racism, I don’t know which, in such a belief

Well Christians are not of a race and neither are Muslims, so no criticism of either faith could ever be labeled as racism.

As for bigotry, this is an interesting point. Richard Dawkins takes the extreme stance that bringing up a child "as a Muslim" or "as a Christian", or really any "as an X" should be considered a form of child abuse. Daniel Dennett thinks that all children should be taught comparative religion at an early age and let the child decide what religion - if any - she would like to follow.

But as it stands, most of the world's children are brought up in a way that includes religious indoctrination, and we cannot minimize how powerful indoctrination can be. The Quran itself is EXTREMELY repetitive and it's a perfect tool to use for indoctrination.

midopafo

Are people to be blamed for bigotry, or are they just being cautious in light that radical terrorism in the name of islam makes people distrust Muslims in general?

Who's fault is it when people are made to feel that way? Themselves, media, or Islamist jihad?

You should look up the word " Phobia " and see if it applies to all of the hype around this issue. I don't think it fits quite frankly, like " Homophobia " etc. , a deadly fear of homos, a deadly fear of radical Islam, it is there but it hasn't ascended to a phobia yet, at least not to me, just my opinion.