• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is Islam a universal religion.

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
I don´t think relying on scriptures is a problem, except for the grade. You can rely on a scripture, without losing the freedom you need to interact with different believers, or even incorporate some beliefs to your faith. For me, as a christian, it means to capture the essence of the Bible message and accept the rest as a complement that makes no sense without the essence. Much of the time, it results in a non literal understanding.
Anyway, I can't imagine a universal religion .Religions can interact and, even, accept one another. But they always will be diferent, in terms of that their basic concepts (not necesserally scriptures). That's not saying there can't be an identity between religons , in terms of the values (moral aspect) they defend.

I agree with your approach.

The essence of the scripture or the core teachings of the founder of a revealed religion are the nucleus around which all the secondary creeds are woven or must revolve to secure them; if they don't correspond with them and are inconsistent with them; then that religion is misunderstood and with the passage of time gets corrupted.

With a little effort if one googles one could find the core or prime teachings of Zoroaster,Moses, Jesus,Muhammad and many others great stalwarts of revealed religions the world over.

Regards

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
Is Islam a universal religion?

Sure it is and it must be true; it is for this that Islam has spread very naturally to many places of the globe without any organized effort from anybody.

Regards

outhouse

Atheistically
Gosh. It is SO frustrating.

Yes it is.

Maybe your a better person then I am, but their fundamentalism is starting to turn me against these people as a whole.

I find an extreme lack of reason, and twisting of reality by most followers. My own extended family I have never had issue with, maybe they did not open up to us to avoid arguements.

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
Is Islam a universal religion?

Yes; it is.

There were religions which were intended for a specific region and time.

Like the religion of Moses (known as Judaism) and the religion of Zoroaster (known as Zoroastrianism); their founders did receive Word of Revelation from the One-True-God.

But they were not intended for the whole world or for indefinite time in future.

They were to be merged with the Universal or Global religion to come.

Their founders, hence, neither took measures to preserve the Word Revealed on them nor did they themselves prophesy that it will remain preserved.

The languages in which their Revelation was originally received became dead to the extent that at some points in the history it was known to the clergy only; if at all later attempts were made to revive them the meaning of the words was quite different than the original hence instead of giving clarity to the text; it became a source of further corruption.

The vagaries of time accelerated their natural death.

Their followers adopted measures that instead of making them global; made them even narrower.

Regards

John Martin

Well, is it?

first things is at least to describe what 'universal' is what 'religion' is.

The word 'universal' I understand something that does not exclude anyone. It is all embracing. It is inclusive. It has no boundaries. It is similar like the earth as one unit.

By the word 'religion' I understand a belief system. What it believes about God, about human beings, about creation and what is good and bad. A religion has a boundary. It gives a collective identity which unites us with some and which divides us from the others. If I say 'I am a Christian' I am automatically united with all the Christians and automatically separated from people who belong to other religions. It consists of people who are within the boundary and who are outside the boundary. It may have a mission to expand its boundaries and increase its numbers. This mission creates violence within and without.
With this description a 'religion' can never be universal. A religion can never contribute for peace in the world.
A religion can be universal if it says that everyone is already present within it. No one is excluded from it, then we can call it universal. But this religion has no name, has no label, has no mission except the mission of helping each individual to become conscious of this truth and live from that truth.
I wish to distinguish 'religion' from RELIGION. Religion is that which we have seen above. RELIGION is that which takes us from the consciousness of a leaf on a tree to the consciousness that we are the whole tree. Religion takes us only up to the branch
and stops there.Hence a religion cannot be a universal religion. Every religion has the possibility to become a Universal RELIGION. If it happens then all religious labels become functional labels as every individual has a name to identify. Then all the boundaries lose their power and peace will be established in the world.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
Unitarian Universalism, specifically, is all but devoid of a clear doctrine.

I don't think it is impossible, but it demands an approach that Islam so far has all but insistent proudly in announcing to be incompatible with it.

Draupadi

The moment you gave a name to it it is no longer universal. It divides. Either you belong to it or you do not belong to it.

Unitarian Universalists comprises of people of all beliefs, including atheists. And pagan religions like Hinduism is only concerned about righteous deeds rather than gaining salvation by worshipping Hindu Deities.

John Martin

Unitarian Universalists comprises of people of all beliefs, including atheists. And pagan religions like Hinduism is only concerned about righteous deeds rather than gaining salvation by worshipping Hindu Deities.
I need to look into clearly then only I can give my comments. It is not proper to comment without full knowledge. I shall read about.

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
Originally Posted by Draupadi

I need to look into clearly then only I can give my comments. It is not proper to comment without full knowledge. I shall read about.

The purpose of a revealed religion is to know G-d,acquire his nearness by inculcating his attributes in one's own self; to acquire knowledge of nature created by Him and to develop His morals in one's self.

Unitarian Universalists are nowhere near it.

Regards